For anyone flying in from Canada

scchasgal

I wouldn't be so worried about not having a carry on bag if I could be sure that the checked luggage wouldn't go missing and/or be damaged.

I think the convenience of not having to lug the extra bag around might be nice...but I'll be pretty peeved if I don't have clothes to wear to dinner. :confused:

It should be interesting on Saturday...wish I could move to Florida & not have to worry about such things! It'll be my husband's first flight...too bad it has to be surrounded by the security craziness...

We just returned from Tampa last night on Air Canada. There was a slight delay in the flight but that was due to weather conditions in Toronto. We just experienced the usual security, scanned carry on and metal detectors. We were able to have laptops as carry ons and there was no restrictions on remaining in your seat for the last hour. However you were not permitted to wear headphones (ear buds were permitted).

December 26th was a different story - it was a nightmare. With all the restrictions the airport was incredibly understaffed to handle the inspections. We were patted down, scanned and all of our carryon luggage was opened and searched. You had to remain in your seat an hour before landing, only earbuds were permitted and you were not permitted to have anything in your lap (ie. blankets and pillows were remove). We were to arrive in Tampa at 2pm but did not arrive until 10pm. Thank goodness we flew a day before the cruise, otherwise we would have missed the ship.

WOW!!! I can not imagine not being able to have your meds..Cameras etc. please.. They tell you NOT to pack in checked on luggage..When we went to St. Lucia by plane some folks had stuff stolen in PR airport..And that was on a transfer to another plane there..The person in charge of talking to us about excursions there reminded us about it...Are they going to reimburse us if "things" get stolen?? Off my soapbox and back to my corner now.. JMO... Lynne :)

You are allowed medication, purses, lap tops, brief cases, diaper bags, cameras....

Some debates over what is a purse and what is a bag! ;)

They seem to be really going after the people who bring "overnight" bags on the flight, which I don't like anyways as it fills up the overhead and doesn't leave room for any one else.

If we change what we do as a result of what they do they win thats how terriorisom works.

Amen to that. I can agree to added security but no carry on other than those listed . If you can have laptop bags and diaper bags than why not small over night bags ,some diaper and laptop bags are as big as overnight bags. Did the terrorist not have a seringe in his underwear. Does that mean we can not wear underwear when we fly. We can not let them win by making us live our life in fear all the time.

We just came back from our annual Christmas trip back home. We flew out with rollerboard carryons before the threat, and came back with none after the threat. Had to check in 7 bags and pay for every one. Not happy.

We flew out of Ottawa, not Pearson. Security at Ottawa was slow enough. I imagine it must have been a nightmare at Pearson.

The rules stated that you could not bring a large carryon item, only ONE PERSONAL item. This is referred to as purse, camera bag, laptop bag etc. In effect, they were banning carryons with wheels. If your bag did not have wheels, it seemed to be allowed on. My daughter had a large shoulder bag that she had her laptop in. It was allowed on. Backpacks were allowed on.

Security was very slow. There were extra precautions even for the checked in bags. One of our bags did not make the flight because they pulled it aside for additional screening, It arrived at the house later.

The pat down process was done efficiently, but slowed things down because they were metering the people through as the inspectors became free. The hand search of the bags was a slower process.

The ban for carryons is ONLY for flights from CANADA to US. It is a Transport Canada decision. On our flight from Newark to Austin, there were a lot of wheeled carryons being brought on board, so domestic US flights DO NOT seem to have the same restriction.

There was no restriction on remaining seated for the last hour of the flight. Our flight from Ottawa to Newark, was only an hour, so that would have meant staying seated for the entire flight. Did not happen.

Until these restrictions are lifted, I would recommend allowing 3 hours to check in at Pearson. Ottawa took almost two hours, and it is usually only about 30 minutes. There are not a lot of US flights out of Ottawa compared to Pearson.

We just came back from our annual Christmas trip back home. We flew out with rollerboard carryons before the threat, and came back with none after the threat. Had to check in 7 bags and pay for every one. Not happy.

We flew out of Ottawa, not Pearson. Security at Ottawa was slow enough. I imagine it must have been a nightmare at Pearson.

The rules stated that you could not bring a large carryon item, only ONE PERSONAL item. This is referred to as purse, camera bag, laptop bag etc. In effect, they were banning carryons with wheels. If your bag did not have wheels, it seemed to be allowed on. My daughter had a large shoulder bag that she had her laptop in. It was allowed on. Backpacks were allowed on.

Security was very slow. There were extra precautions even for the checked in bags. One of our bags did not make the flight because they pulled it aside for additional screening, It arrived at the house later.

The pat down process was done efficiently, but slowed things down because they were metering the people through as the inspectors became free. The hand search of the bags was a slower process.

The ban for carryons is ONLY for flights from CANADA to US. It is a Transport Canada decision. On our flight from Newark to Austin, there were a lot of wheeled carryons being brought on board, so domestic US flights DO NOT seem to have the same restriction.

There was no restriction on remaining seated for the last hour of the flight. Our flight from Ottawa to Newark, was only an hour, so that would have meant staying seated for the entire flight. Did not happen.

Until these restrictions are lifted, I would recommend allowing 3 hours to check in at Pearson. Ottawa took almost two hours, and it is usually only about 30 minutes. There are not a lot of US flights out of Ottawa compared to Pearson.

As was stated earlier - the decision came from the TSA, and affected all international flights into the US, be it from Russia, China or Canada. Transport Canada's only decision was "do we want to be able to fly into American airspace? Yes? Okay, no carry ons!" Domestic Canadian flights also allow carry ons as before.

Here's the lastest from CATSA - complete with pictures!: http://www.catsa.gc.ca/file/library/71/english/Exempt%20Items%20-%2008jan10(2)%20-%20EN.pdf

So do you think they stand around with a tape measure and really monitor the sizes? And what happens if your bag is too big? Seriously - what do you do? It is ful of your valuables/meds/docs/passport/electronics/camera and they say you can't bring the bag on cuz it's too big? You can't check it cuz you need most of that stuff? Do they give you a 'plastic bag' to put it in? What do you do with the 'illegal' bag?

And if you read that notice carefully sounds like you can stuff your pockets full of stuff if you have to.....want to get one of those fishermen shirts or jackets with lots of pockets and just put everything inside....

Or I can invent the new 'carryon coat' - complete with zippered pockets and areas to put all your valuables, meds, etc while flying - I will make a fortune! :D:D Wow -what a great idea!!!

As was stated earlier - the decision came from the TSA, and affected all international flights into the US, be it from Russia, China or Canada. Transport Canada's only decision was "do we want to be able to fly into American airspace? Yes? Okay, no carry ons!" Domestic Canadian flights also allow carry ons as before.

You are absolutely correct. My country (the US) failed to detect and refuse travel to an idiot Nigerian national paying cash for a one-way ticket (shades of 9/11 !) from AMS to DTW with explosives in his briefs, and failed to stop an idiot Newark TSA agent from leaving his post so that another idiot could sneak under the rope to kiss his equally idiotic and accomodating girlfriend and walk her to her gate. Let's see....Nigerian guy is being held pending civil trial. Idiot TSA guy is "suspended". Idiot rope ducker has been identified, and faces a "fine". Idiot girlfriend is scot-free. (Until the three of them, hopefully, are faced with massive civil suits from those who were stranded for a day or more due to EWR lock-down). It's very sad, but Canada is doing what's right for the time being. It will ease up soon. (Until the next incident). Canada is wonderful, and I am sooooooo looking forward to the Olympics next month!

We have our air booked out of Boston, so the Canadian laws really won't affect us. However, I would have a problem not taking a carryon. We try to pack so we could live ( all be it very simply) out of our carryons should our other luggage get lost. Hope that the rule does not come into effect in the US. If it does however we will just be thankful for the attempts at keeping us save.

You are absolutely correct. My country (the US) failed to detect and refuse travel to an idiot Nigerian national paying cash for a one-way ticket (shades of 9/11 !) from AMS to DTW with explosives in his briefs, and failed to stop an idiot Newark TSA agent from leaving his post so that another idiot could sneak under the rope to kiss his equally idiotic and accomodating girlfriend and walk her to her gate. Let's see....Nigerian guy is being held pending civil trial. Idiot TSA guy is "suspended". Idiot rope ducker has been identified, and faces a "fine". Idiot girlfriend is scot-free. (Until the three of them, hopefully, are faced with massive civil suits from those who were stranded for a day or more due to EWR lock-down). It's very sad, but Canada is doing what's right for the time being. It will ease up soon. (Until the next incident). Canada is wonderful, and I am sooooooo looking forward to the Olympics next month!

Thank you for the Kudos - I think Canada is great too, but also love you guys in the south. I am one person who will not miss the carryons - I have flown lots and have been stuck behind people trying to shove a carryon that will not fit into the overhead, try to get it out again and takes up three times the space so I have to put my little one 5 rows down. I think if people were reasonable in the size we would not be facing this issue - if a carry on has wheels on it because it is too heavy to carry any distance then it doesn't belong in overhead. PS my daughter has tickets to Canada Norway hockey game and full day half pike snowboarding - I envy her.

I agree - it is silly. Especially for we border town people. So instead of flying out of Toronto where I can't take a carry on, I will just fly out of Buffalo, where I can take a carry on. Buffalo is closer, easier, less traffic, etc and equals less of a headache. The customs officers will not likely search my carry on at the bridge. So what's the point of it all ....??

I am happy that we are fortunate enough to be able to drive 20 minutes and fly out of Detroit. Although it can be a very long trip through the tunnel/bridge as security there is tighter now also.

Some of these "carry ons" that are allowed on the plane should be stopped I agree with the earlir poster if they have wheels on them they should be checked.

Has anyone got a definite answer regarding the return flight from the US and Canada and carry on bags? I've been trying to find out for a few days and haven't been able to get an answer. Have my TA looking into this as well.

We are flying out of YYZ into TPA in a week and are okay with the no carry on going out, but it would be nice if we could have at least one on the trip back. Especially now that we can't use a larger purse.

Has anyone got a definite answer regarding the return flight from the US and Canada and carry on bags? I've been trying to find out for a few days and haven't been able to get an answer. Have my TA looking into this as well.

We are flying out of YYZ into TPA in a week and are okay with the no carry on going out, but it would be nice if we could have at least one on the trip back. Especially now that we can't use a larger purse.

As ironic as it is people flying INTO the US cannot have a carryon, however (so far) if you are flying OUT of the US you can have a carryon. Just concerned about their airspace. If Canadian carriers want to fly into the US they have to comply with this directive. This is so far to date but like with anything (ie passports) this can change many times over. As I stated earlier, I for one am glad that you don't have to wait behind someone boarding and deplaning while they struggle to get their over sized carryon out of the overhead.

As ironic as it is people flying INTO the US cannot have a carryon, however (so far) if you are flying OUT of the US you can have a carryon. Just concerned about their airspace. If Canadian carriers want to fly into the US they have to comply with this directive. This is so far to date but like with anything (ie passports) this can change many times over. As I stated earlier, I for one am glad that you don't have to wait behind someone boarding and deplaning while they struggle to get their over sized carryon out of the overhead.

Also will shorten the time you have to wait in line in security for bags to be checked etc. I don't have a problem with the ban on carry on bags. However, we always seem to have extra stuff coming home from a cruise that we'd rather not pack in our bags in fear of breaking. I guess we will have to rethink things again. We now check in a small bag that contains all of our liquids i.e. sunscreen, shampoo etc. along with snorkels, first aid kits etc.

Hubby may have to get a "man purse" for his stuff since I can't take my larger handbag now :)

Chris

My father has traveled by airplane from both Tampa and West Palm since the restrictions and he was allowed to board with a back pack..;)

My father has traveled by airplane from both Tampa and West Palm since the restrictions and he was allowed to board with a back pack..;)

As previously mentioned there are no restrictions coming IN to Canada - but only for those flying from Canada into the U.S.

As previously mentioned there are no restrictions coming IN to Canada - but only for those flying from Canada into the U.S.

Saw Tbays post after I had submitted mine... here's hoping they change the no carry on from Canada REALLY SOON!!!:(

My fear is packing a couple of carry on bags and getting to the gate and being told so sorry you can't bring these on board. As we all know, they change the rules regularly. I guess if I check on board the ship the day prior, they may have up to date info. I'm not paying the prices for internet usuage on the ship, so hopefully guest services will have an answer.

Saw Tbays post after I had submitted mine... here's hoping they change the no carry on from Canada REALLY SOON!!!:(

Not sure it's changing soon - as previously posted - they seem to have more 'specific' details now and pictures of what is and is not allowed!!! I am stressing out a lot about this - and wondering how strict they are!

Not sure it's changing soon - as previously posted - they seem to have more 'specific' details now and pictures of what is and is not allowed!!! I am stressing out a lot about this - and wondering how strict they are!

Well they are implementing the full body scanners.. when I duuno but hopefully that will change it.. because the rules as they are don't make sense at all.. who the heck makes these rules anyways... WTH should you be allowed to board an international flight in the US coming to Canada with a back pack.. and not from Canada going to the US... I dunno sorry this LOGIC sucks...

Here's the lastest from CATSA - complete with pictures!: http://www.catsa.gc.ca/file/library/71/english/Exempt%20Items%20-%2008jan10(2)%20-%20EN.pdf

So do you think they stand around with a tape measure and really monitor the sizes? And what happens if your bag is too big? Seriously - what do you do? It is ful of your valuables/meds/docs/passport/electronics/camera and they say you can't bring the bag on cuz it's too big? You can't check it cuz you need most of that stuff? Do they give you a 'plastic bag' to put it in? What do you do with the 'illegal' bag?

And if you read that notice carefully sounds like you can stuff your pockets full of stuff if you have to.....want to get one of those fishermen shirts or jackets with lots of pockets and just put everything inside....

Or I can invent the new 'carryon coat' - complete with zippered pockets and areas to put all your valuables, meds, etc while flying - I will make a fortune! :D:D Wow -what a great idea!!!

Just to confuse people even more, if you look under "clothing and personal items", it says you are allowed to bring nail clippers and nail files onboard. I thought these were banned from carry on a long time ago.

Archived