A few questions before I cruise

Kat22

I don't see the association, whether it's between cruise lines or on the same cruise line.

Some people might get a sailing on Oasis of the seas (which I've mentioned to say it's the same issue everywhere, not just to do with Australians) in one class of cabin for $5,500/ person and another group pay $3,500 per person. The fact one group of people are paying more doesn't justify them not paying tips to staff. Also, that cruise payment of $5,500 goes to the cruise line, not the service staff.

Tipping is part of the expected remuneration of service staff. While you may not philosophically agree with it being expected (and personally, I think tips should be extra rather than base remuneration as well) that doesn't change that that's the way it works. As such, I look forward to P&O's new pricing model late this year, but until then tips are still expected.

I am just surprised how many people want great service from service staff, but want them to work for virtually nothing!

Incidentally, I would expect then that prices do rise for P&O compared to other lines in other countries you refer to, since it is only then that pricing will include those service staff costs. The staff need to be paid some way, whether it's directly by the cruise line and thus higher cruise prices, or directly from the passengers through tips.

I agree totally with what you say. And as mentioned, we will always tip when recieving outstanding service. Its unfortunate that this argument will never appear to have a happy ending though :)

P&O are going to stop auto tipping this year, may be they will go all the way and start selling drinks duty free or cheaper, as they do with cigarettes, 2 packs per day limit, they can do the same with alcohol and limit the amount you can buy, Then P&O can boast about there RSA.

The staff need to be paid some way, whether it's directly by the cruise line and thus higher cruise prices, or directly from the passengers through tips.

I would prefer cruise prices to go up a little rather than have to tip. At least the cost is upfront and I can get it out of the way long before the cruise actually takes place. Tipping is hard when you save and save to have some decent spending money and then a chunk of it is taken off your card each day.

Believe it or not, some of us just cannot afford $7.50 per day. :eek: I went on a cruise with some friends after we finished school. Half of us didn't have jobs, our parents paid for the cruise and then had to provide us with spending money. Mine gave me $300 for this 10 day cruise (and they expected me to bring home change!) If I came back and told them I'd spent $75 on tips they would have killed me!

As I've said, I'm a uni student and though I do work, I don't make much. I won't have a great deal of spending money for my upcoming cruise so when I tip I want to make sure it goes to a crew member who served me personally. Even if, as some of you have said, they have to hand it in for the tip pool, at least I am the one deciding how much I tip (as opposed to P&O making that decision for me).

I would prefer cruise prices to go up a little rather than have to tip. At least the cost is upfront and I can get it out of the way long before the cruise actually takes place. Tipping is hard when you save and save to have some decent spending money and then a chunk of it is taken off your card each day.

Believe it or not, some of us just cannot afford $7.50 per day. :eek: I went on a cruise with some friends after we finished school. Half of us didn't have jobs, our parents paid for the cruise and then had to provide us with spending money. Mine gave me $300 for this 10 day cruise (and they expected me to bring home change!) If I came back and told them I'd spent $75 on tips they would have killed me!

As I've said, I'm a uni student and though I do work, I don't make much. I won't have a great deal of spending money for my upcoming cruise so when I tip I want to make sure it goes to a crew member who served me personally. Even if, as some of you have said, they have to hand it in for the tip pool, at least I am the one deciding how much I tip (as opposed to P&O making that decision for me).

Hey Kat, as mentioned before this has to be one of the most controversial subjects that will never have a happy ending. No point trying to argue the point, go and have a wonderful holiday and reward those you feel like rewarding and leave at that. Otherwise this thread will go on forever, when really at the end of the day all you asked was a few innocent questions about your upcoming cruise....I am departing on the Dawn Princess not long after you, so all i am thinking about is sitting on deck and drinking my body weight in foofy drinks :p

Hey Kat, as mentioned before this has to be one of the most controversial subjects that will never have a happy ending. No point trying to argue the point, go and have a wonderful holiday and reward those you feel like rewarding and leave at that. Otherwise this thread will go on forever, when really at the end of the day all you asked was a few innocent questions about your upcoming cruise....I am departing on the Dawn Princess not long after you, so all i am thinking about is sitting on deck and drinking my body weight in foofy drinks :p

I think I will take your advice. I received my tickets today and the excitement is building; I don't want to spend the next 37 days worrying about what other people think of me for wanting to remove auto-tipping.

Once again, thankyou everyone for your comments (both positive and not-so-positive) ;)

Have a great holiday and Kat....personally I wish the subject of tipping would be banned it seems to bring out the worst in otherwise reasonable and rationale human beings.

You will have a fantastic time and become just as addicted as the rest of us cruise nuts.

pc010098

on one of our cruises i asked our cabin boy if i tipped him could he keep it and he said yes and it went straight into his back pocket

rkmw

I really don't know the rules on this matter because I have heard two opposing versions.

I am sure that when we have tipped people the money went into their pocket. When we tip our cabin steward no-one else is around. When we tip our waiters we fold a banknote into the 'You Made a Difference Card' and put it into an envelope. As far as I am concerned, what they do with it is their business.

The thing is we hear so many different thing about tipping,

1. is that if you tip some one personly that they have to hand it in to the tipping pool. yet no real hard everdence on that.

2. who getts the tips, yet very mixed on this mater , yet real no hard everdence.

3. who realy cares, its up you as a person on a cruise ship weather you like to tip or not, its a personal thing and you will allways get person saying you must tip.

4. It allways brings out the worst of people on here.

quote............

( rude remakes about if you cant afford to tip then you cant afford to go on the cruise)

5. If you dont like to tip then dont, it your choice no one elses.

I apologise if my comments offended anyone, but they are my opinions, and I have a right to express them! I was not rude or abusive or nasty!

Personally I find it offensive when people say that they can not afford the $ for auto tipping or hotel charge as they call it now, and then justify themselves as to why!

I too will be pleased when auto tipping is removed and we all pay more for our cruise up front. That way ALL users pay. Unlike now when uses still crusie-don't build the tipping into their budget and say they will tip personally-yeah! sure.

B&B :D

I apologise if my comments offended anyone, but they are my opinions, and I have a right to express them! I was not rude or abusive or nasty!

Unlike now when uses still crusie-don't build the tipping into their budget and say they will tip personally-yeah! sure.

B&B :D

Are you accusing me and others of lying when we say we will tip personally? This IS being nasty and abusive. I AM NOT IN THE HABIT OF TELLING LIES. I have tipped in the past on cruises and I WILL tip in future those with whom I come in contact frequently.

I don't need you to teach me your opinion of ethical behaviour.

Yes you have a right to your opinions, but don't preach to others when you don't know people's circumstances. Thank you!

This is exactly why I hate any thread about tipping. I decends into divisive and hurtful comments instead a reasonable discussion about cruising. This must be very off putting to new cruise critics.

Cruising is a package holiday so I don't understand the comment that we have paid for everything but service? I for one wish that whatever financial element cruise lines feel is missing should be included in the price and we can all stop feeling guilty/rightgeous etc. etc. about the subject of tips. I think the P and O decision to drop it from October is sensitive to the different cultural aspects of ships operating in our part of the world.

I for one feel extremely pleased to live in a country that pays a "living wage" not slave labour rates that need to be topped up to a reasonable level by tips.

I don't believe that tips are an incentive for better service. People deserve a decent salary and if that means my cruise fare goes up $100 fine by me... better for the staff better for the passengers.

Providing good service is a matter of pride and training plus expectations from your employer that you as staff take professional pride in your work.

Here it should not matter if the passenger is a well paid executive who can afford to be generous or a struggling uni student on their first cruise experience. You are both entitled to the best cruise experience the cruise line can offer.

Kat22 cruising is a fantastic and affordable holiday don't be put off by all the angst about tipping. Make sure you write a review when you come back we love to hear from newbies.

Are you accusing me and others of lying when we say we will tip personally? This IS being nasty and abusive. I AM NOT IN THE HABIT OF TELLING LIES. I have tipped in the past on cruises and I WILL tip in future those with whom I come in contact frequently.

I don't need you to teach me your opinion of ethical behaviour.

Yes you have a right to your opinions, but don't preach to others when you don't know people's circumstances. Thank you!

Hey Sandy...Well said!!! Please dont succumb to the urge of making this thread turn all political and nasty. I know its hard when you want to express your opinion, only to have it turned into something its not. I am with you, i reward those i believe deserve it, and i dont need my integrity questioned by others. It appears you and i are both similar in our thoughts, lets take the moral high ground and just let it slide....so where are you off too? My cruise is before yours, so you will be reading my review just as you are about to take off on yours...:D

This is exactly why I hate any thread about tipping. I decends into divisive and hurtful comments instead a reasonable discussion about cruising. This must be very off putting to new cruise critics.

Cruising is a package holiday so I don't understand the comment that we have paid for everything but service? I for one wish that whatever financial element cruise lines feel is missing should be included in the price and we can all stop feeling guilty/rightgeous etc. etc. about the subject of tips. I think the P and O decision to drop it from October is sensitive to the different cultural aspects of ships operating in our part of the world.

I for one feel extremely pleased to live in a country that pays a "living wage" not slave labour rates that need to be topped up to a reasonable level by tips.

I don't believe that tips are an incentive for better service. People deserve a decent salary and if that means my cruise fare goes up $100 fine by me... better for the staff better for the passengers.

Providing good service is a matter of pride and training plus expectations from your employer that you as staff take professional pride in your work.

Here it should not matter if the passenger is a well paid executive who can afford to be generous or a struggling uni student on their first cruise experience. You are both entitled to the best cruise experience the cruise line can offer.

Kat22 cruising is a fantastic and affordable holiday don't be put off by all the angst about tipping. Make sure you write a review when you come back we love to hear from newbies.

Wonderfully put Rugby...:)

Very well said. :):)

Hi Cazz,

I feel better now :D:D:D. I really have a well-developed sense of humour but I lose it when I see injustice. I agree that if included in the fare it would save all the angst - and that's all I will say on the matter now.

We are soooo looking forward to cruising around NZ. I lived there for three years as a child and loved the beauty of the place. As we had come from the starkness of the NW Qld outback, you can imagine the difference! As it was, we returned to the "stark outback" (which does have a "stark" kind of beauty :D:D:D) until moving near to Bris. which I also think is lovely - except for the traffic!

Where are you cruising, Cazz? I see you are on the Dawn Princess. A friend of mine travelled to NZ on it last year and loved it.

Hi Cazz,

I feel better now :D. I really have a well-developed sense of humour but I lose it when I see injustice. I agree that if included in the fare it would save all the angst - and that's all I will say on the matter now.

We are soooo looking forward to cruising around NZ. I lived there for three years as a child and loved the beauty of the place. As we had come from the starkness of the NW Qld outback, you can imagine the difference! As it was, we returned to the "stark outback" (which does have a "stark" kind of beauty :D:D:D) until moving near to Bris. which I also think is lovely - except for the traffic!

Where are you cruising, Cazz? I see you are on the Dawn Princess. A friend of mine travelled to NZ on it last year and loved it.

We are doing NZ as well...cant wait. I have been with my partner for 17 years and this is our first overseas trip together so very excited:D We travelled on the Sun Princess, up the coast of Qld in April, and the ships are basically identical so it will be nice to be on a ship we already know our way around

Everyone to their own opinions and the freedom to express them!

And no-one is preaching-get off your high horse. My opinions were not directed at anyone in particular................but of course if the hat fits..? ? ? ? ?

Have a great day and a great cruise :D

You will be able to tell us all about it - looking forward to that! Are you watching the Sun Princess web cam at the moment? It's going through one of the Sounds.

I have been logging onto the cams everyday. I consider it like a really pleasant type of torture. :p

I have been logging onto the cams everyday. I consider it like a really pleasant type of torture. :p

If you can take real torture:D

check this one out.

Scroll down to the Bridge and Port cams of the day from all round the world.

There might be some names you recognise,

from downunder:D

http://cruise.11.forumer.com/

Hehehe - so do I, although not as many ships as I used to. My husband is hooked on the Panama Canal cams. Tries to catch all the cruise ships going through on the hi-res cams.

David thanks very much for that link. I don't know if I DARE give it to DH. ;)

Archived