Panama Canal Book

blazerjan

I've read many reviews about the Panama Canal Cruise we're taking in November (Coral Princess) and several mentioned a book that is a "must read" before taking this cruise... well now that I'm ready to actually go get the book.. I can't find the name of it. Can anyone help?? Thanks!

Thank you OP for asking this question! I am stuck between Path Between the Seas and Panama Canal by Cruise Ship. I realize they are 2 different books -- one really focuses on the history while the other focuses both on history as well as port cities and excursions.

My question is "how hard" of a read is Path Between the Seas? Is it an easy read? By "easy" I mean, does it read pretty clearly and quickly without having to re-read sentences to follow the history? I'm really hoping I won't feel like I'm back in college reading a textbook. Has anyone actually read it, and what is your quick take/review on it?

I read the book before going through the canal. I thought it was great and I do admit to skipping over a few things. I really enjoyed it and it made going through the canal even more amazing knowing what it took to build it. Let me also so that while I love to read there is now way you could get me to read a history book unless I was visiting the place. You could buy a used book cheap and check it out yourself. No harm.

Thank

My question is "how hard" of a read is Path Between the Seas? Is it an easy read? By "easy" I mean, does it read pretty clearly and quickly without having to re-read sentences to follow the history? I'm really hoping I won't feel like I'm back in college reading a textbook. Has anyone actually read it, and what is your quick take/review on it?

It is not a hard read, but it is about 600 pages.

That is what makes it such a good book. In words and pictures, it really covers the subject.

If you would like to cheat a little, Amazon, (the last I checked) still had copies of the video, "A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama," which is narrated by David McCullough. The last time I went through the Canal they played on the ship's TV and sold it as well. It's really very good and I would still recommend the Path Between the Seas.

Easy read. Lots of information about the canal and other historical figures of the times.

Between this book and another, Imperial Cruise, A History of War and Empire by James Bradley, (nothing to do with the Panama Canal) you quickly realize that President Theodore Roosevelt is not quite what you were led to believe.

On our Coral cruise they showed A Man,A Plan,A Canal and Panama. The Panama Canal by cruise ship I did not find worth it. Many things have changed. The Path Between The Seas was not a hard read but a slow read since there is so much going on. Lots of politics even back then starting in France. Great book. They sell copies on the cruise, but reading in advance helps a lot.

Definately read it. I was sooooo glad I did. I also got an "elementary school version" of it for my kids. The book is really informative and you will definately appreciate the canal more if you understand the history, engineering challenges, workforce challenges, etc.

I read the book before going through the canal. I thought it was great and I do admit to skipping over a few things. I really enjoyed it and it made going through the canal even more amazing knowing what it took to build it. Let me also so that while I love to read there is now way you could get me to read a history book unless I was visiting the place. You could buy a used book cheap and check it out yourself. No harm.

Ah; yes; but; It is very difficult to equate the modern scenary as you peacefully transit the Gaillard cut on board your luxury cruise ship, with the horrendous accounts of the ill fated French attempt to build the canal, coupled with the photos showing the terraced excavations, and the accounts of all the thousands of deaths from yellow fever as well as malaria. You may also have to revise your views of dear old Teddy Roosevelt as well.

Thank you OP for asking this question! I am stuck between Path Between the Seas and Panama Canal by Cruise Ship. I realize they are 2 different books -- one really focuses on the history while the other focuses both on history as well as port cities and excursions.

Path Between the Seas is the story of the canal....the complete story. David McCullough writes very detailed and wonderfully interesting books. This book is a great read...especially if you are Canal-bound. It is quite large and will need your concentration.

How quickly you read it would depend upon how much interest you have in the story.

I read it when it first came out in the late 70's and recently read it again, anticipating a Canal crossing in April. It's about 700 pages with great pictures and charts.

We bought the book before our Panama Canal cruise and I just couldn't get through it. I read parts of it, checked out most of the pictures, even left it in the rest room for casual reading. But in the end we ended up getting both the videos and watching them instead. You really have to WANT to read that 600+ page book.

Another book you might buy ahead of time is "Panama Canal by Cruise Ship". You can find it in the book stores, it has a pull out map and if you can't find it, they sell it on the ship. We went thru the canal last month on Island Princess and it was great. Used the pull out map.

I have every Panama Canal book mentioned in this thread. They are all good recommendations. One that hasn't been mentioned is "The Building of the Panama Canal in Historic Photographs." This large format book has about 110 pages of well-captioned photographs. It's a bargain at $10. This book is really good for someone who's learning style is more visual. Its numerous photographs are also a good complement to "The Path Between the Seas".

You can preview the book at Amazon using the "Click to Look Inside" link. Here is a link to the book at Amazon -> The Building of the Panama Canal in Historic Photographs

Archived