Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

Very much enjoying following your posts!

Do any of your tablemates/shipboard acquaintances have standard outside cabins? I'm curious about closet size/storage space in the outside cabins on Main Deck. I'm considering a cruise on Prinsendam and would appreciate any cabin info you could post. Also, are there 4 dinner seatings or just two?

Thanks again!

Claudia

Not having anything pressing to do this morning, scanned the HAL thread listings. Grumpy & Slinkie's diary is by far the most popular current one. As of this writing it had been "hit" 3,286 times. Only the question about how old you are had more.

Guess there's a lot of us vicarious cruisers out there.

Looking forward to one last phone call from Hawaii ...

Grumpy's Sis

Hi Slinkie and Grumpy! I was away for several days and just had to play catch-up on your amazing tour of the seven seas. First, Grumpy, you do know what's in Nyquil, don't you??? Of course you like it!!! It's almost all alcohol:D ... so that Scotch might work for you just as well.

Slinkie, you should save your pennies for the U.S. economy and not pour all those hard earned $$$ into the Mexican economy;) .

So happy to see the picture of the 2 of you ... what an amazing, wonderful couple you make! Thank you for that. Just adds that much more to these diaries. Thanks again for the journey.

On the Prinsendam, there are only two seatings for dinner because of the way the dining room is configured. The times are 6pm and 8.15pm.

There are actually two dining rooms, connected by a large vestibule where the lifts and stairs are situated.

The smaller room runs also into the Ocean Bar at one end, whereas the larger room just runs off the large vestibule. If I had a choice, I would choose the larger one which has big windows that look out onto the deck on both sides, (it is the full width of the ship at the stern) whereas the smaller dining room looks out on to the deck but is narrow and is only down one side of the ship.

Jennie

Prinsendam 2005, Feb 2

OK, gang, The Ol' Grump is going to get VERY Grumpy now... Just read the daily program... little note buried on the back page... "Due to the ship's position on Feb 6, 2 days from Honolulu and 1 day from Christmas Island, Kiribati, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to receive satellite coverage of the Superbowl." Now what sort of ^$$^&**(^%# idiot plans a cruise that takes several hundred Americans into no man's land on Superbowl Sunday? HAL knew when they planned this cruise that this was going to happen! Grumpy's inside mole tells Grumpy that at least one high ranking officer has expressed similar sentiments...Shame on HAL! If Seattle was playing, they would have stayed in satellite range. WE WANT OUR FOOTBALL! (of course we could be placated a little bit with a $500 shipboard credit... or 50% off next year's cruise) Everybody needs to Email HAL and let them know what you think about this deplorable situation! We've got satellites that can read a license plate anywhere in the world and they can't get the Superbowl to us... IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT!

(OK, before anyone flames poor ol" Grumpy, the preceeding, although based on actual circumstances, is a satire of the many threads that have been posted about the ruined vacations, etc, and you know Ol' Grumpy has to stir the pot once in a while)

And then to top it off, they ran out of lobster! Slinkie and Grumpy were at a table for 8 and everyone had ordered the lobster. When they realized they were short, they picked that table to inform of the bad news so that everyone would get a late entree together... After threatening to make the waiter walk the plank, evryone picked a new entree. Slinkie says the salmon was delicious, Grumpy was quite pleased with the wild pheasant. A few of the others made do with the filet mignon... but it just wasn't lobster!

Slinkie and Grumpy met up with CruisinTexans and WCB in the Crow's Nest the other night. They were hoping that Alsas and PaDutchman would be there also, but it was a good get together. It's really nice to meet face to face with people that you've been talking to on the 'net and we're looking forward to meeting with the ones that are joining us along the way.

There was a nice bio of CD Gary Walker in today's Daily Program. He hails from England, was activities director for land based resorts and started working at sea in 1991. He joined HAL in 1994 and has been on all of the ships. He was CD on 4 successive world cruises on the Rotterdam and Amsterdam. For the last two years he has been sailing on the Vista ships and has been involved in the construction of the Oosterdam and Westerdam. He now lives in Windemere, FL. Probably quite a few of you that have sailed with him before.

Tonight was the Black and White Officer's Ball. Grumpy even went to the beauty salon and got his hair all trimmed up... thought about going the whole cut, color and curl route, but stopped at cut. When they greeted the captain at the start of the ball, he made the mistake of asking how everything was. Grumpy said everything was fine except for running out of lobster. The captain looked surprised and then turned to Fekko Ebbens, the hotel manager, chuckeled and said that was the one to complain to... What happened to "the buck stops here"? Slinkie and Grumpy put in their appearance on the dance floor and at the end of the number they were right next to the captain. Slinkie was just about to grab him for the next dance but another lady got to him first. Slinkie knows who the important people on the ship are, though, so she snagged the head chef and then started working her way through the staff... Grumpy got to dance with ACD Jennifer and ACD Emily and a couple of other lovely young ladies... Fortunately they were wearing their steel toed dancing shoes, so no permanent damage resulted... The captain promised Slinkie that he would dance with her at the Valentines Ball. Tonight is also a time change night so the ball can go on for an extra hour... or Grumpy can get an extra hour's sleep... or... naw, we're not goin' there... Well, actually they ended up in the Crow's Nest for the next hour with Slinkie dancing to the 50's rock tunes that Randall Powell was playing and singing. Grumpy sat out that session... old war wounds aching and all that sort of stuff, you know...

It hasn't been mentioned before, but there are special prices on beer, wines and liquer for in room consumption on the world cruise. A sixpack of beer is $15.00 for domestic, $15.80 for imports. The 187ml bottles of wine that normally sell for $5.75 are 4 for $15.75. 750ml Bacardi white or gold is $9.50, Jim Beam or Finlandia vodka is $11.50, Seagrams VO or Seagrams 7 is $13.75, Chivaz Regal is $28.95. Of course, Grumpy wouldn't drink anything less than the Remy Martin XO for $95.00. Yeah, right! There are 45 labels to chose from. The ubiquitous 15% service charge applies... Drinks in the lounges are $5.00 for call brand mixed drinks, $4.50 for house wines, more for select wines. Not too bad..

Prinsendam 2005, Feb 3

LAND HO!!! After aimlessly wandering the high seas for weeks, (OK, days) Slinkie and Grumpy awoke this morning to find that there was land on the horizon visable through the overcast and light rain. The Prinsendam was actually ahead of schedule so the captain slowed down and everyone was treated to some whale watching time. Slinkie is now a happy girl... she's been watching and waiting since she left Ft. Lauderdale for a glimpse of a whale. She got to see lots of them this morning. They were off the ship about 12:30 and after getting lei'd as is the Hawaiian custom, they got on a Robert's Tour bus to go up to the volcano crater, circle around it, visit an orchid farm, visit the village that was destroyed in 1982 by the lava flow, and back to the ship. It was rainy the whole time, but still a good tour. Slinky and Grumpy have flown over the volcano and the snowcapped mountain peak to the north on a previous visit, so the ground tour was something different for them. Grumpy has been on Robert's Tours on other islands in the past and has always enjoyed them.

Our travellers are now back aboard and will be sailing for Honolulu shortly. Since Slinkie didn't get to do any shopping today... and they've done most of the Honolulu attractions before, tomorrow is a shopping day... time to polish up the plastic... it's going to get a workout...

Time to post...

Slinkie and Grumpy

Hi Grumpy and Slinkie,

Sorry to hear that you will miss the Super Bowl but we would trade places with you in a minute. Watching the Super Bowl and eating chips and dip somehow pales in comparison to being n the Prinsendam World Cruise.

Looking forward to hearing about Slinkie's latest purchases in Honolulu. Did you get to see or hear Chef Boyce this week?

Aloha!

Karen and Bob

I am not surprised that you won't have the Super Bowl coverage because of the satellite positioning. When we were on the 2001 WC it seemed to me we were not within satellite range more often than we were. As I remember it, it was generally in the Pacific Ocean area too.

What I am surprised about is that they ran out of lobsters!! Shame on Fekko and the F&B Mgr. Knowing Fekko as well as I do I am sure he was very embarrassed...glad you let him know.

Take care and have a wonderful cruise. There is no experience quite like the World Cruise, believe me. It is one we will never forget.

ALOHA!

Hope the weather has cleared a bit, but I bet even with the rain it was 70+F!! Makes the rain a bit more tolerable IMHO! (Getting lei'd doesn't hurt either!) :cool:

I think the idea about having a "Superbowl" night or afternoon is a winner. Granted you may be delayed, but I am sure there are many on the cruise who would enjoy it, even after the fact! Maybe they could make it free nachos, lobster tails and beer for all!!;)

As always, safe seas and blue skies to you both!

Grumpy1,

U.S. Customs issue. I wonder whether a traveller can fill out a customs declaration at each American port for part of their previous purchases elsewhere so that when they arrive at their final stop home their duties are reduced. Also, I think that American Somoa is a "duty free" port like St. Thomas and also has higher limits on purchase made there. Maybe some members will post comments on this note with useful information for everyone on customs matters.

Happy sailing.

Ruffin

Too bad about missing the Super Bowl, Grumpie. The Patriots won. ;)

(You heard it here first!)

The last time I did the Circle Hawaii cruise there was a Q & A session with the higher ranking officers. I couldn't believe the anger from some passengers that we were out of satellite range for a portion of the cruise---and therefore not able to get CNN or televised sports. As if unpopulated areas of the Pacific should still be serviced by a satellite! And it was HAL's fault that it wasn't!

Will you be able to get Internet service when you are out of TV satellite range? When I sail in areas north of the Arctic Circle we lose service. I write up a little something for CC, go to post, and nothing. :eek:

Grumpy1,

U.S. Customs issue. I wonder whether a traveller can fill out a customs declaration at each American port for part of their previous purchases elsewhere so that when they arrive at their final stop home their duties are reduced. Also, I think that American Somoa is a "duty free" port like St. Thomas and also has higher limits on purchase made there. Maybe some members will post comments on this note with useful information for everyone on customs matters.

Happy sailing.

Ruffin

Good question! :)

Grumpy1,

Happy sailing.

Ruffin

My understanding is that travelers can ship a certain dollar amount home per day duty-free (is it $400/day?) and bring a certain amount into the country per-person ($750/pp?) though one cannot do a cumulative deal (ie: send $1200/worth home and call it 3 days worth)

Does anyone else know for sure?

G&S - Thanks for the updates! Here's hoping they brought aboard lots more lobster in Hawaii!!!;)

BTW - Are the little lady knitters club aboard again this year? I understand that they spend all their days in the Explorer's Lounge knitting scarves, hats, mittens, etc. for orphan children somewhere on the route?

When you see Johnny again, tell him that Brian in San Francisco says "Hello":D

The Radisson Seven Seas Voyager is ahead of the Prinsendam, so a fYI from a poster on it and an addition comment.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=131801

post 1

We have someone on the cruise that posts a lot.

"PETLOVER" and she said it was a wild ride.

Heavy rain and very strong winds.

Employees had to go in early to clean up broken dishes etc...

post 2

They missed Melbourne and I think one other port. They said gale force winds up to 100 MPH and swells up to 40 feet. Captain Dag, turned the ship around and headed for Sydney!

YIPES petlover just posted this.

petlover user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_2949160", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Yes, this is correct. There are several of us "regulars" that are currently on the Voyager. We had to abort port stops in Philip Island (where we were to see the Penguin Parade) and Melbourne. Instead Capt. Dag made the correct call and we came straight to Sydney. Thank goodness...it got worse after we changed course! Melbourne had the worst storm they've had in over 100 years. Several nights ago on our way to Philip Island we had a rough night with over 100 mph winds and 40 ft. swells. There was a lot of damage within the ship including broken dishes and glasses in La Veranda and unfortunately the baby grand piano in the Horizon lounge collapsed and broke. Luckily, we have a lower deck midship cabin and there was no damage or breakage...just lots of things falling off the vanity. It was a WILD ride for sure.

La Veranda reopened that evening and the ship is all ship shape again. Luckily, no structural damage to the ship. It worked out fine for us because it gave us 4 days in Sydney....the most gorgeous harbor I've ever seen!

Archived