Tour company comparisons

SASSYIN2

I have gotten quotes from a few different companies and the prices do vary, wonder if I can get some recent recommondations on who to use?

Naples-Pompeii-Sorrento - Tour of Italy(Giancarlo) or all around Italy (Fabrizio)

Rome- Rome In Limo, All around Italy or Drivers in Rome

Florence- All Around Italy, Tuscany in my pocket, ( want to see Florence and stop in Tuscany at a winery, not important to see Pisa), Rome in Limo-will they customize or only do their tours listed?

Thanks all

I used Rome in Limo for a tour of Rome in 10/08 and all three of these ports in Nov 09. They were great!! They will customize the tour however you like. We did go to Pisa and Florence, but my parents used them last May and they skipped Pisa, toured Florence and stopped in Tuscany at a winery.

Have fun!!

I have gotten quotes from a few different companies and the prices do vary, wonder if I can get some recent recommondations on who to use?

Naples-Pompeii-Sorrento - Tour of Italy(Giancarlo) or all around Italy (Fabrizio)

Florence- All Around Italy, Tuscany in my pocket, ( want to see Florence and stop in Tuscany at a winery, not important to see Pisa), Rome in Limo-will they customize or only do their tours listed?

Thanks all

Hi Marla,

I posted a response to your question on the Romeinlimo thread, but to repeat, RIL may offer you a discount that makes them competitive with others if you book both with them. We used them in both Roma and Firenze too and they were excellent. Good luck!

Thanks all

RIL will do whatever you want, they seemed very flexible in the 3 ports we used them. I'd use them again if I ever choose private tours in a port they serve, even though they were on the pricey side. Do tell Jany you want something different to make sure they get you an experienced driver.

When I was researching I found postive reviews of some of operators you mentioned. I think a side by side comparision isn't going to help you much for a couple reasons. Also, how many people go often enough and try different vendors, and even if they do, expectations and memory will change each time, at least I'd expect that with me. Thus don't expect too much back that is totally objective. For exampe, my memories of the fond grow and memories of the little things get forgotten. So a comparison of a tour from two years ago versus one next year might not be judged with the same, at least it is easy to get it clouded.

No question price is different between some, by as much as 100 euros per car is possible. Experience IMHO is going to be more driver than the comapany and you really can't be sure who'll you'll get unless you get a gurantee. Than again, one person's perfect chatty and fun driver might be viewed as overbearing by another. We enjoyed 5 out of the 6 drivers we had. The only downer was one of the ones in Rome, but he was brand new.

Sorry I'm no help, but my last parting thought was the one that finally swung my decision. Figure out how much you really are spending than is the savings you are looking for worth it. I finally chose by volume of data and volume of business... maybe stupid but didn't steer me wrong.

Good luck

Wow, wish I were going. I was last in Italy in October on the Century. In Livorno we used Giovanni with Sunflower tours. He is a great host and knew either all the tricks or the right people to enter places quickly, this is really needed in Florence. He has set packages or will arrange the tour to meet your wishes. In Naples we used Tour of Italy and Giancarlo. Actually I have used him twice and sent several friends to enjoy his services. They are usually a little cheaper but a first class tour provider with new Mercedes vans. If you are lucky you may get his father, Giovanni, who has spent time in the States and is a really fun guy. I will say, and all the friends I sent to him say, the Amalfi Coast was their trip highlight. Happy Cruising

I had great experiences with DriverinRome (Roberto and Remo were drivers). They speak excellent English and know their stuff. They both tailored our tours to what we wanted.

We enjoyed our trip to Herculaneum and the Amalfi coast with an amazing lunch with Marcello of seesorrento.

we used RIL in Rome, Florence, Pisa & Pompii. They did what we wanted to do and the price was the same as others we checked into. Very professional and driver were very knowledgable. Enjoy your cruise and tours. We did.

We used RIL last year in Rome and we're going back next December and using them again. We had a full tour with lots of great sights and insights from our driver. Plus a very good lunch right near Vatican City. I hate to wish the year away but I can't wait.

We used RIL last July and were thrilled with the three city discount they gave us, as well as the professional service rendered before and during their service. Without doubt, we will be using them again, and actually recommended them to another family traveling last summer, who were thankful for my recommendation. They know how to deliver!!!!

Same here.....we used RIL just this past november in Rome, Naples and Florence, and I can't say enough great things about them. Our drivers were fabulous, and the guides they set up for us at the Vatican and Pompeii were amazing.

I was able to get groups of 8 together from our cruise thread, and it worked out great. The price was really very reasonable that way.....actually cheaper than the cruise lines. And you're able to get to places easier in a van than in a bus.

They'll definitely work with you if you want to do something different than the posted itinerary. Our drivers on all 3 tours were very flexible.

We booked a cruise to greece, and i wish RIL was in other countries! :D

• 1 month later...

Just trying to figure out if I want to use private tour or do excursion through cruise ship -- those who've used Rome In Limo -- was lunch included in price of you tour? It seems too good a price to be included, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Just trying to figure out if I want to use private tour or do excursion through cruise ship -- those who've used Rome In Limo -- was lunch included in price of you tour? It seems too good a price to be included, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Lunch is not included, but your driver can certainly give you good recommendations that will be a good fit for your itinerary, culinary tastes and budget.

I'm with Terpnut... Romeinlimo is such an amazing company and experience. Their rates are competitive and with so many recommendations, you just can't go wrong.

I have done both ship tours in Italy and private tours. I will never again do a ship tour on a Mediterranean cruise. The difference is just amazing! Seriously... it boils down to having an experience with 50 others in a bus...doing something designed by the cruise line to see what is easiest to see in the time possible with that many people..... OR, you can spend a comparable amount of money and design YOUR own day... doing what you want to do.... seeing what YOU want to see and the tour becomes an experience you will take with you forever.

For my precious hours in Florence (Livorno) Rome (Civitavecchia) and the Amalfi Coast (Naples) I think spending my money with Romeinlimo has been worth every single penny... I think seeing these parts of the world are so enriching and just having a local show me around is an experience you just canNOT have on a tour bus.

If you are able to hook up with people on your sailing (which I have always been successful at doing) you can make a private tour just as much money if not a bit less than a ship tour. And the difference is so huge I can't even begin to put it all in writing.

Six of us went with RIL in 2008. We booked them for transfers, tours in Rome and in Florence. They were fabulous before, during and after our visit. Jany is a marvel at helping you make arrangements and giving advice. She always gets back immediately with any questions. Duman and the other driver/guides were so friendly and accommodating. Sarah, our guide in the Vatican museum was amazing...so young and yet so very knowledgeable. We are going back to Rome this June and have already booked them for several tours, and we know we won't be sorry.

Lunch is on your own....because not everybody wants to do the same thing. Some want a quick bite, and then back out on tour- we did a more leisurely lunch near the Vatican at Osteria Dei Pontefici, at Duman's recommendation, and it was one of the best meals I've had in a long, long time.

As you might have figured out, I highly recommend romeinlimo. We used them in both Rome and in Naples, for Sorrento/Amalfi Coast, and both days were just great. The drivers will customize your tour based on what you want to see, and they are very efficient with your time throughout the day, and will get you back on time.

In fact, Rafello arranged ferry tickets for us in Sorrento, so we took the ferry back to Naples, instead of that long drive, and it gave us a couple more hours of touring time.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with Terpnut... Romeinlimo is such an amazing company and experience. Their rates are competitive and with so many recommendations, you just can't go wrong.

I have done both ship tours in Italy and private tours. I will never again do a ship tour on a Mediterranean cruise. The difference is just amazing! Seriously... it boils down to having an experience with 50 others in a bus...doing something designed by the cruise line to see what is easiest to see in the time possible with that many people..... OR, you can spend a comparable amount of money and design YOUR own day... doing what you want to do.... seeing what YOU want to see and the tour becomes an experience you will take with you forever.

For my precious hours in Florence (Livorno) Rome (Civitavecchia) and the Amalfi Coast (Naples) I think spending my money with Romeinlimo has been worth every single penny... I think seeing these parts of the world are so enriching and just having a local show me around is an experience you just canNOT have on a tour bus.

If you are able to hook up with people on your sailing (which I have always been successful at doing) you can make a private tour just as much money if not a bit less than a ship tour. And the difference is so huge I can't even begin to put it all in writing.

Thanks hilasgirl - You have definitely sold me on doing a private tour. :)

Archived