What's Up With All of the Robes on Lido?

afcj1

How about wandering about in bra and panties? Or boxers? Essential things are covered- why would anyone care??? Or filmy little nightgowns just opaque enough to cover up? Whose business would it be.

I am always tickled when people talk about "the olden days" and how nobody cared what you did. You must be joking. Those "olden days" were times when men wore suits and ladies hats and gloves. When men removed their hats inside and tipped them in greeting. When doing the wrong thing would ruin a reputation- and that meant something. Could someone point out any time in the past when people paid less attention to others? Now anything is supposed to go.

I'm old enough to have been subjected to those "olden days"....where it wasn't acceptable for women to wear slacks unless they were doing some sort of manual labor....and, jeans were frowned upon...and they guys weren't allowed to wear them to school. They were called "Levi's" back then and they weren't made for girls or womens figures at all.

A properly dressed woman wore a skirt or dress 3/4 inches below the knee, gloves and hat...which matched; purse and shoes...which matched and a darned girdle. Women who went out without a girdle were considered "loose"...and a woman who "jiggled" her way along a street was welcomed with whistles and cat-calls. Only "bad" girls wore red high heeled shoes..... It was considered to be in "bad taste" for a woman to sleep without wearing a bra.....

Forget shorts....the only place those were accepted was at the beach, on a picnic or while gardening....and nobody wore shorts to school... Each student was scrutinized at school and if anyone considered your "dress" to be inappropriate, you were sent home, with a note to your parents and was expected to come back properly dressed.

Shirts with a buttoned collar and gabardine or cotton slacks for the guys...no t-shirts. Flannel shirts were OK. Shoes, no sneakers...they didn't even have sneakers. They had "tennis shoes" which were worn during physical education or on the tennis court. Hair neatly combed...it could touch but not cover your collar. No jewelry for the guys = if they wore a chain around their neck, it had to be under the shirt. The only exceptions were rings awarded for scholarship.

Going out for dinner was a suit and tie affair...everyone from adults to kids. Children under 10 or 11 weren't expected to wear suits.... Dress, heels, gloves for the gals...and, after a certain time of day...a hat.

There were a lot of good things about those "olden days" having mostly to do with learning the difference between being appropriate and being a stooge. But, it wasn't easy, for sure.......:confused:

By the way, the first thing I bought when I moved away from home was a lovely pair of red patent-leather 3 3/4" high heels...wore them for years.:D:D After all, Jane Russell wore them and so did Rita Hayworth....and they weren't loose women....HA!!!!

I also dumped the girdle....and, later in those wild 60's, the bra.

Actually, I already said I was corrected and certainly won't make the mistake again.

And yes, when I am on vacation I am going to relax and not worry about others besides the people I am traveling with.

As far as what I was or wasn't taught growing up, I was certainly taught not to worry about what others are or aren't wearing when it has nothing to do with me or mine.

Guest bahamamama1
I was on the Carnival Triumph 12/12/09 and noticed people on the Lido Deck in the morning with Carnival Robes and house slippers. I call that Skeezy and totally unacceptable for anyone on a ship with nearly two thousand people on board. It is too easy to just order room service and not subject the public to this outrageous behavior. It also seems that people have lost proper decorum when it comes to dining at dinner. I noticed people dressed very inappropriate for such a setting and their behavior was also questionable. I was in the London Dining Room and we had a group that thought they were on the street corner. I think Carnival should require people to behave like people and stop this type of behavior before it becomes accepted as normal behavior. I do not think myself a stuff shirt but my Mother always said you can tell where people come from and who they come from by their behavior and the compny they keep. ;)

Are you kidding ? Carnival facilitates it !! Why, just look at the hairy chest contest.. I am offended !! !

woohoo!!!! Undie cruise!!!!! :d

This brought a quick memory to me.

In Philadelphia 15-20 years ago, they had what was called the "Undie 500". It was a footrace around one of the beautiful parks located in center city. Runners (and many who didn't run) wore only their underwear....was pretty funny, actually.

My goofball son ran in that race several times with some of his equally bent but fascinating friends.......

Actually, I already said I was corrected and certainly won't make the mistake again.

And yes, when I am on vacation I am going to relax and not worry about others besides the people I am traveling with.

As far as what I was or wasn't taught growing up, I was certainly taught not to worry about what others are or aren't wearing when it has nothing to do with me or mine.

You have to learn that it is "OK" to make fun of what people wear :confused:....but not of their spelling errors/mistakes :D tehehe

Guest bahamamama1
It doesn't matter to you if you break the CC rules (correcting someone's spelling), nor do you care about other people you may offend in public by the way you dress. Why don't you just come out and say it? It's all about ME, ME, ME! That's so sad. Were you not taught proper manners when you were growing up?

Thats a bit harsh.. Do you know this person you are insulting or are you belitteling them due to a few CC posts ? Seems to me like the MEMEME person is the intolerant one who doesnt accept other peoples clothes or opinions and I think it is actually more offensive to directly insult somebody ie: "were you not taught manners...?" than it is to wear a robe on the Lido deck JMHO

Guest bahamamama1

Cruise Critic Cannot Correct Your Posts

Please review your post carefully for typos' date=' incorrect dates and spelling errors.[/quote']

Looks like the "bad speller" failed to abide by this portion of the rules.

Thats a bit harsh.. Do you know this person you are insulting or are you belitteling them due to a few CC posts ? Seems to me like the MEMEME person is the intolerant one who doesnt accept other peoples clothes or opinions and I think it is actually more offensive to directly insult somebody ie: "were you not taught manners...?" than it is to wear a robe on the Lido deck JMHO

No, didn't think I was harsh at all.

Were you harsh when you agreed with the post below?:rolleyes: Look who's talking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCoolOne viewpost.gif

And, if that was me you were talking to, I would tell you where to go and how to get there. How about people minding their own business?

bahamamama1

I'm with you !

• 1 month later...
When we were on the Dream, I saw soooo many people wearing their CCL robes to get something to eat. Seriously...the pools weren't open yet and at night, they were already closed. Others had jammie pants underneath:eek:

Sorry, if I'm missing it...but would you wear your bath robe to the restaurant at a hotel? Hopefully not, so why would you wear one to the Lido deck to eat? I've NEVER seen as many robes out in public as I did on this sailing.

Just wondering...am I in the minority to think that it's a little wierd?

We were on the Dream from 2/6 to 2/13 and I saw a woman wearing her robe fastened with a white leather belt on the Lido deck during the Super Bowl party (new trend? ha ha). During muster drill in the Encore Lounge a man walked in with his robe and we thought he must have been showering when the drill began. A couple of days later we saw the same man walking along one of the upper decks where we were tanning, in his robe and his white bedroom slippers. Our cruise started out a bit chilly on the 6th but it wasn't cold enough to warrant wearing your bath robe out in public on any other day. You and I may be in the minority because I think it's weird as well. They're called bath robes folks, not deck or party robes.

Don't care what others are wearing. Don't understand why anyone would care or why it would bother them.

I noticed your signature and it said 1841 days at sea. Does this mean that you have been on over 200 ++ cruises.

Just curious. Doesn't have anything to do with the subject at hand (jammies and robes.....hee hee).

Don't care what others are wearing. Don't understand why anyone would care or why it would bother them.

Me either. To each their own. I can't even imagine telling someone that they shouldn't wear them. Talk about tacky!:eek:

I totally agree with you OP. People who do that have no class. Unfortunately you will see this from time to time on Carnival ships. I would have said something to them if I had seen them. That's too bad some people act the way they do.

For crying out loud. Everyone enjoys their vacation their own way. I would be very careful saying much to some people. You might find out just how weird they really are. It sure doesn't seem to take too much to set people off these days.

I personally don't care what others wear...but that being said, I'd much rather see someone in a robe than their bathing suit in the inside portion of Lido...to me, when you leave the pool area, and come through the doors to the inner dining area....it's just like being in a restaurant. I am always surprised at the folks who come in barefoot and in wet swimsuits to eat. Not that it ruins my day;) I do wear my robe over my suit to run to the hot tub/ pool etc. And wouldnt think much of wearing it to grab a burger etc at the outside buffet. Just my .2 cents

Sorry, I guess you were one of those peope out and about in your robe.

Nope........not me. I don't really pay any attention to others. I concentrate on having a good time with my family and friends. I just don't see why anyone would get so worked up over it. The times they are a changing. One must go with the flow or give it up. Life is too short to worry about what someone is wearing.

Funny thread. Reminds me of walmart. Every been to the People of Walmart site? Funny.

As Jack Johnson says...

Oh but everybody thinks

That everybody knows

About everybody else

Nobody knows

Anything about themselves

Cause their all worried about everybody else

Archived