What's Up With All of the Robes on Lido?

afcj1

When we were on the Destiny in January there was a group of maybe 15 people who went to their cabins and got their robes on for sailaway- I laughed, thinking they had read this thread, but we saw people in robes everywhere the entire cruise-

I don't care if people wear their robes to the buffet, it isn't any of my business what they want to wear. If all the parts are covered why should it matter to anyone if they're wearing a robe or regular clothes that you (general you, not aimed at anyone in particular) approve of? Why does anyone need your approval? I couldn't care less what someone on a cruise thinks of me. I'll never see them again once the cruise is over, why should I let them dictate what I wear? If I want to run up to the buffet for coffee and a croissant in the morning and just put on my robe don't look at me if you don't like it. Just mind your own business.

And the person who actually tells the person who is wearing the robe that it's unacceptable, that person is the one without class, not the person wearing the robe.

I don't care if people wear their robes to the buffet, it isn't any of my business what they want to wear. If all the parts are covered why should it matter to anyone if they're wearing a robe or regular clothes that you (general you, not aimed at anyone in particular) approve of? Why does anyone need your approval? I couldn't care less what someone on a cruise thinks of me. I'll never see them again once the cruise is over, why should I let them dictate what I wear? If I want to run up to the buffet for coffee and a croissant in the morning and just put on my robe don't look at me if you don't like it. Just mind your own business.

And the person who actually tells the person who is wearing the robe that it's unacceptable, that person is the one without class, not the person wearing the robe.

I agree with you completely. I'm not sure why everyone is making such a big deal over this matter. Just answer this one, what is the difference in wearing your robe over your swim suit or wearing a cover up? Some people just use them in place of the cover up, not to mention they DO cover up more anyway! I feel everyone should just "mind" their own business and definitely don't understand how this can be so offensive to some. I think people just tend to carry things a little to far. You are on vacation, why would anyone let something like this bother them??

Sue

My wife and I were on the Mariner of the Seas last June, and would have been grateful if one of our fellow passengers would have worn a robe. We had a middle aged lady, who wore a paper thin house coat (my grandmother always called them a duster) the entire cruise.

Unfortunately she only had 3 in her wardrobe - 1 for during the day, 1 for the evening and a more elegant one (this one wasn't as paper thin as the others) for the formal nights, which she dolled up with additional jewelry and makeup.

I do have to say that I saw more people talking with each other and striking up conversations regarding her wardrobe as she passed by. Obviously she didn't feel uncomfortable in the least, as she was always amongst the crowd. If nothing else she was definitely the topic of conversation on the cruise.

I think sailing allows one to get sooo comfortable that they just don't care what is going on. I am a large woman and I get my swimsuit on and lay out with the best of them. I could care less what anyone thinks of me. I am there to do nothing but enjoy my cruise. Like someone said: "If you don't like it, you don't have to look at it".:D

Roll your eyes all you want- yes, I find pajamas in the grocery store offensive. I also find bathing suits without a serious coverup in stores offensive. I find strapless clothing in high schools offensive. I find pants hanging down at mid thigh offensive. I think we have lost all sense of decorum in this country and it shows in many ways. And I don't think that our country and our culture is the better for it.

End of lecture.

You had better not go to a college campus. You will see tons of pajama pants in the classroom. At our highschool they are allowed and the kids wear them there too. All that matters to me is if they are LEARNING. The times they are a changing. We had all better go with the flow or bow out.

This laxity in dress seems to have started about the time that credit cards became available to anyone -- about 1970. Prior to that, the robe and baseball-cap-in-the-dining-room crowd couldn't cruise.

If it weren't for credit cards, I wouldn't be able to cruise. Thank you Lord.

i'm old enough to have been subjected to those "olden days"....where it wasn't acceptable for women to wear slacks unless they were doing some sort of manual labor....and' date=' jeans were frowned upon...and they guys weren't allowed to wear them to school. They were called "levi's" back then and they weren't made for girls or womens figures at all.

A properly dressed woman wore a skirt or dress 3/4 inches below the knee, gloves and hat...which matched; purse and shoes...which matched and a darned girdle. Women who went out without a girdle were considered "loose"...and a woman who "jiggled" her way along a street was welcomed with whistles and cat-calls. Only "bad" girls wore red high heeled shoes..... It was considered to be in "bad taste" for a woman to sleep without wearing a bra.....

Forget shorts....the only place those were accepted was at the beach, on a picnic or while gardening....and nobody wore shorts to school... Each student was scrutinized at school and if anyone considered your "dress" to be inappropriate, you were sent home, with a note to your parents and was expected to come back properly dressed.

Shirts with a buttoned collar and gabardine or cotton slacks for the guys...no t-shirts. Flannel shirts were ok. Shoes, no sneakers...they didn't even have sneakers. They had "tennis shoes" which were worn during physical education or on the tennis court. Hair neatly combed...it could touch but not cover your collar. No jewelry for the guys = if they wore a chain around their neck, it had to be under the shirt. The only exceptions were rings awarded for scholarship.

Going out for dinner was a suit and tie affair...everyone from adults to kids. Children under 10 or 11 weren't expected to wear suits.... Dress, heels, gloves for the gals...and, after a certain time of day...a hat.

There were a lot of good things about those "olden days" having mostly to do with learning the difference between being appropriate and being a stooge. But, it wasn't easy, for sure.......:confused:

By the way, the first thing i bought when i moved away from home was a lovely pair of red patent-leather 3 3/4" high heels...wore them for years.:d:d after all, jane russell wore them and so did rita hayworth....and they weren't loose women....ha!!!!

I also dumped the girdle....and, later in those wild 60's, the bra.[/quote']

you go girl!

I noticed your signature and it said 1841 days at sea. Does this mean that you have been on over 200 ++ cruises.

Just curious. Doesn't have anything to do with the subject at hand (jammies and robes.....hee hee).

Retired US Navy, Merchant Marine, cruising sailboat live aboard, charter Captain and a few cruise ship trips. The sea days add up.

This issue regarding Robes, PJ's and bathings suits while eating at the seaview restaurant made me remember how embarassed we were when taking a break from the pool. We went into the seaview restaurant for lunch. We dried our swimwear somewhat, put on tops and sandals, except for one friend (guy) who just wrapped a towel around his Speedo swim suit. We were so embarassed because he came in practically naked into the seaview restaurant. My other friend (girl) told him that people where eating and he should cover up more. The guy just unwrapped the towel in the restaurant and said "Bon appetit." We almost died of embarassment. This was this guys first cruise. Then he went on to comment on the advertising I did when I invited him on the cruise. Which I am quoting here from the Carnival Cruise Line Brochure:

"Stay in your bathing suit. You don't have to leave the pool area at lunchtime. We serve a buffet right on deck. Take your choice of fresh salads..."

So I guess a robe is better then plain bathing suit. I looked for the same comment on current Carnival Cruise Line Brochures, but they seem to have eliminated that comment because I couldn't find it. I know it was in previous years' brochures, but not on the current one.

Archived