The worst question you've been asked by a tablemate...

tarbashchaputi

I was lurking and read this thread over on the RCI boards and thought it would be cool to start one here as well!

Having just completed our fourth cruise, we have generally had very positive table mates at dinner.

I am wondering what kinds of horrible questions people have been asked well cruising a Carnival Ship.

Not asked personally but recent Sensation cruise I had terrible tablemates. First time cruisers...ordered prime rib and didn't know what it was. Asked ....where are the ribs? Same lady also asked waiter for strawberry butter...like they have at Bonaza. He thought she was crazy.

Needless to say.....dining table was so bad......I did not go back to dinner after first two nights. :mad: Most uneducated cruise people I have every been around. I kept wondering....Why are you on this ship? 23_4_121.gif

Our worst experience were 2 tablemate who always shoed up 15-20 minutes late. This made dinner very disjointed. The waiter tried serving us first and then tried serving us both at the same time (bottom of the barrel in food) Nothing seemed to work, finally we just asked to be moved to another table, which we were able to do.

Just spoke with my wife to try to determine what our worst question asked was. On our first cruise, I had just finished my residency and never hesitated to tell people that I was a surgeon if asked. Well, sure enough, conversation turned to what everybody did for a living, and when it came to me, I proudly told the table that I had just finished my surgical residency and had just recently established a general surgery practice. This one fool then started asking for medical advice and what he should do about his long standing hemorrhoid problem. :eek: Everyone was horrified! I tried to change the subject, but to no avail. The guy kept persisting! Finally I told him that I didn’t deal with such matters and that perhaps he needed to see a proctologist. Luckily he seemed satisfied with that. Now when asked what I do for a living, I lie and say I manage a sandwich shop. :D

Why are you drinking my wine??

Picked up a tablemates glass by mistake (while talking to much), and she wondered why. Brought a little fence the next night to mark my property line. A good laugh by all..

That probably goes to the woman who asked us (after introducing both of her children - the 1st string high school football player, and then the younger one - BOTH gifted) what our childrens names were (they were with us) and if they were in GIFTED classes also ....:rolleyes:

Needless to say, that was the LAST time (several cruises ago) that we opted for anything less than a private table... geesh ...

Tom

I don't have a worst single question, but I once had tablemates who constantly barraged the wait staff and the rest of the tables with question about when they could actually get some seafood to eat ... they managed to turn every conversation to their disappointment about the lack of seafood on the menu. I didn't have the heart to tell them that the food usually isn't the top priority of a 3/4 day cruise.

"How much did you pay for your cruise?"....the couple that asked the question paid twice as much as the rest of us for similar cabins through their auto club. It ruined their cruise to know that. The woman was so negative for the remainder of the cruise. Cruise prices should be in the same category with religion and politics. You have to be careful.................

On our last cruise, we were seated with a newlywed couple in their late 60's. They were very sweet and we had lots to talk about. On the last night, the man asked us if we could figure out how all the "colored" people could afford this cruise! Needless to say, I was rather stunned and speechless:eek:and quite angry! My DH stared at him for a second and said, " I guess just like the rest of us....they work", and gave the most brilliant smile. The man was too ignorant to realize my DH thought his question was quite racist and started naming very demeaning jobs HE thought they could have to afford this cruise. Trying to compose myself, I finally started asking other question so we could get off the subject. I think the wife was embarassed by his remarks and we did not hold her at fault.They were great tablemates until then:o

I don't remember the horrible questions, but I do remember the horrible actions. We had 4 couples at our table on the Elation. One couple brought gag items to the table. One night they brought the fart machine, another night they both wore Groucho Marx noses. One gentleman was Mr. Know-it all (he was caucasin and his wife was Asian). He would make snide remarks to her when she wanted to join in on the conversation. He told her to "shut-up," a few times during a conversation. After the second night of that nonsense we refused to eat dinner at the same table with them. :rolleyes:

our tablemates on the first night told us that they had driven in from Oklahoma the night before and had spent the night in the their truck parked at the Greyhound bus station because they were not about to pay 30-40 dollars for a motel. I'm thinking first, where would you find a motel for $30 in New Orleans and 2nd, how did they afford the cruise. Strangely to say, they did not show up for the rest of the seven night cruise. Our other tablemates suggested they might have been afraid they had to pay for the meals. I will never forget that.

I guess we've been lucky as nothing sticks out in my mind as a bad question. We did have a tablemate who was very picky about how he wanted his salad prepared and insisted on getting chicken noodle soup even though they didn't have it. Even the Asst. Maitre 'D or maybe she was the head waiter came to the table to explain that they didn't have the soup. He was so insistent that they finally threw it together: cubed chicken, rammen noodles and some kind of broth. It satisfied him, but I found it embarrasing.

On our last cruise my friend and I (both gals both single not young) were put at a table that were all other singles. I think Carnival thought they were doing the right thing, but they were not. One gal at table told us nothing but stories about how all the men on the ship were after her, frankly she lived in her own little world. An older English man was so dull and mumbled so much it was difficult to even understand him. Another older man was recently widowed, say no more. One young couple made of two sisters, only lasted one night, they were the smart ones. We told ourselves this time, life is too short, if the table mates are too weird we are asking to me moved.

On a positive side one cruise we were seated with a most darling couple from Spain living in England. He was pretty opinionated (thought American's were basically buying children by adopting them, I am serious), so we had some interesting discussions. But we all respected each others opinions and we learned alot about each others culters. We coresponded for about a year and a half, I still think about them, they made a truly handsome couple and very very bright. I enjoy meeting new folks and hope to do so on my cruise which is 28 days away not that I am counting! Lydia

I've only been on 3 CCL cruises. I guess we've been lucky as nothing sticks way out as a bad question. One cruise we had a table for 6 and only us an one other couple showed up the whole time.

This post reminds me why I really enjoyed our Freestyle dining on our NCL cruise, this was a 14 day cruise and I can tell you there were two nights that I would have asked to have my table switch if it was a CCL cruise! I also can say we met many more friends on that cruise and even met some of them several nights for dinner.

goodness, so people who don't know what something on the menu is don't belong on cruises?!

No...I didn't say that. But since dining is a big part of the cruising experience...you would think people might do a little research before cruising so they would know what type food to expect or atleast be willing to try new things. It seems nothing suited them on the menu. Repeatedly ordered and then pushed it aside and complained about EVERYTHING!

Back to the original topic. Mother & daughter on cruise, planning huge wedding. Daughter plays joke & tells Mom that they have already eloped and just doing wedding for show. Mom was horrified. Kept asking all week......are you really married? lol Daughter finally told Mom the truth on last night at dinner.

My Lord, all this time I must have been on the wrong cruise at the wrong time, because after 12 cruises on rccl and carnival and many other cruise lines, at all the tables I have been assigned too I have never had bad table mates, maybe they were not from the same social stratosphere that I was but that didn't bother me, they were the most funloving people I had ever been around . Get a Life people , you are on vacation, have a good time , don't worry about the small stuff. Life is to short. Your's isn't the only world that exists. How in the Hell can anyone on a cruise complain about anything. If you can maybe you should be in Hollywood with the rest of the Flakes. Have a good Day. Goodbye from an old Soldier. Please don't flame me for all my mistakes, because I have been embiding in the holiday cheer tonite. Sayonara. Gator Man

at all the tables I have been assigned too I have never had bad table mates...Get a Life people... Your's isn't the only world that exists.

WOW... where did that come from --- Jack Daniels:D ???

(BTW - you HAVE been lucky, as I will BET there are people out there that you would not want to be seated with!!! --- perhaps some of us... LOL)

Have another drink - and enjoy the holiday, Gatorman!!!

Tom

Oh yeah, and I forgot about the time we were on the Song of America. We had one newlywed couple who drank so much that they passed out at the table. The waiter had to get 2 wheel chairs to wheel them away. They were drinking these layered drinks...don't know what they were, but they came in different pretty colors of red, white and blue. One of the other couples said they were FBI agents...don't know if they were, but they never joined in with the conversations. After looking back on some of these experiences, I can laugh about them now. Too bad some people don't experience the good, the bad, and the ugly. :D

This brings up a scary thought! :eek: My DH tends to be a bragger! I blame this on the fact that he grew up dirt poor and now that he is successful and has "things" he feels the need to let everyone know. His latest brag is letting everyone know how much we paid for our German Shepherd. I get so embarressed! Any suggestions on what to say to him before we sail to keep him from doing this?:rolleyes:

This brings up a scary thought! :eek: My DH tends to be a bragger! I blame this on the fact that he grew up dirt poor and now that he is successful and has "things" he feels the need to let everyone know. His latest brag is letting everyone know how much we paid for our German Shepherd. I get so embarressed! Any suggestions on what to say to him before we sail to keep him from doing this?:rolleyes:

Maybe you should tell him to stop bragging:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist:p Maybe you will be seated with someone similar to the DH and they can have a one-upsman contest!

Archived