The worst question you've been asked by a tablemate...

tarbashchaputi

We have never had a private table... part of the fun to me is meeting new people etc.. Im always hoping to meet a nice couple that we could have drinks with and socialize with etc... we have had some really interesting tablemates..

1st cruise - table for 6, us and 4 women who were mother daughter couples... now.. the daughters were in the 40s and the mothers were in the 60s... the mothers kept talking about how they couldn't handle such rich food and kept running off to the bathroom... that was pleasant...

2nd cruise - family.. table for 8 but all family...

3rd cruise - table for 10... one couple was very young newly married couple about 19/20 and barely spoke two words to us or each other every night.. another couple was a young haitian couple that lived in Miami.. they had a hard time because they didnt have "formal" clothes and were actually ACTUALLY refused entry to the dining room, it was quite sad actually, the whole thing turned into a mess... there was one couple there that we actually hit it off with and spent some time throughout the cruise with...

our last cruise was the best one, we were at a table for four with another couple in our age range that we got along great with.. the funny thing was.. the worst thing a tablemate can ask US is what my husband does for a living.. hes in law enforcement and its either they love it or they hate it, they either complan about cops or ask how they can get out of a ticket they got last week kind of thing... we actually had a bad reaction from some one from cruise critic when we went to the meet and greet... for the entire rest of the cruise every time he saw us he would tell people.. look... its the c-c-c-c-copppp.. stay away from him... it was really bad.. beyond joking like...we noticed that our table mate couple never once brought up jobs or what they did etc... we hit it off so well we spent the last day of the vacation at a day rental at the Ritz in PR and had lunch together before our flights etc... during lunch on the last day after we got off the ship it came out that hes a heart surgeon, so he said he hated bringing up careers cuz people always wanted medical advice, lol... it was funny..

My husband is also in law enforcement.....we were at the late night comedy show one evening and the comedian asked if there were any cops in the audience. My brother stood up and yelled and pointed to my husband. The comedian said "on behalf of everyone in here, fu*k you". Then everyone in the lounge stood up and started whistling and applauding...he had lots of comments made the rest of the cruise when someone recognized him. Thankfully he is a good sport and just laughed it off.

This may be a little off topic but...last week we were on a Princess cruise anytime dining. Most of the week we had a table for 4 but since we ate a little later on Friday we ended up sharing a table for 6 with another couple. My cousin sat down next to a woman who asked where she was from. After hearing it was a town close to where we grew up my cousin asked the woman what her family name was. When she answerd we all did a double take. This woman's father and my cousin's father were first cousins!!Althought they never met each other they knew about the other's family...

I wonder if anyone here, maybe me too, have ever stopped to think that maybe...maybe we are the weird, strange, goofy tablemates and just don't know it. Hmmm? I'm just kidding of course, but I was wondering that as I read some of the post in this thread that seem a little picky or anal or whatever...and how some people feel that "next time if the people we sit with are weird, we'll just move to another table" and such....I just wonder how many of them are just taking the "weird" where ever they go. But of course, everyone here is perfect and that is a silly thought. :D

These people were not tablemates, but we did meet them on a cruise.

One night on the Conquest we were in the lounge and we started chatting with this couple and found we were on the same excursion in Montego Bay the next day, they were very nice and seemed like fun so we decided to meet for breakfast the next morning and then pal around in Montego Bay the next day.

The next morning we met for breakfast and were chatting and planning the day and the converstation turned to marriage and kids and what not and soon the pictures of the kids came out.

I showed them a picture of my then 15 year old daughter and the wife says. "Oh she is a beautiful girl."

she shows the picture to her husband and he says "Beautiful??? Shes F***ing Hot!!!!"

Needless to say this did not sit really well with this Italian father *LOL* and it was a rather awkward day in Montego Bay.

The wife really was nice and you could see even she was a little put off by her husbands remark. Her and my Fiance got along really well and palled around quite a bit during the cruis, but I kind of kept my distance from the husband

LOL! Hey, at least he didnt ask you about trying to get into bed with her (read my post a page or so back)... I was 16, my father was furious!

These people were not tablemates, but we did meet them on a cruise.

One night on the Conquest we were in the lounge and we started chatting with this couple and found we were on the same excursion in Montego Bay the next day, they were very nice and seemed like fun so we decided to meet for breakfast the next morning and then pal around in Montego Bay the next day.

The next morning we met for breakfast and were chatting and planning the day and the converstation turned to marriage and kids and what not and soon the pictures of the kids came out.

I showed them a picture of my then 15 year old daughter and the wife says. "Oh she is a beautiful girl."

she shows the picture to her husband and he says "Beautiful??? Shes F***ing Hot!!!!"

Needless to say this did not sit really well with this Italian father *LOL* and it was a rather awkward day in Montego Bay.

The wife really was nice and you could see even she was a little put off by her husbands remark. Her and my Fiance got along really well and palled around quite a bit during the cruis, but I kind of kept my distance from the husband

My husband is also in law enforcement.....we were at the late night comedy show one evening and the comedian asked if there were any cops in the audience. My brother stood up and yelled and pointed to my husband. The comedian said "on behalf of everyone in here, fu*k you". Then everyone in the lounge stood up and started whistling and applauding...he had lots of comments made the rest of the cruise when someone recognized him. Thankfully he is a good sport and just laughed it off.
:eek:

It may have been a comedy show but I think that was disrespectful to someone who puts their life on the line everyday! I could never do that! Bless your husband for being so calm!

Worst table mates were a well to do couple (as they told us over and over and over) with 2 children. DW and I immediately noticed that there was something "off" about the 12 yo daughter. After the children left the table that first evening, Mom confided to us that the daughter had serious psychological problems and even tried to kill the younger brother at one point. Best part was that the daughter was insisting that she be allowed to babysit our 2 children (5 & 8 yo).

It was like something out of the Twilight Zone. RUN!

A few weeks ago on the Sensation, my DH and I were seated with a few other groups at breakfast. While we managed to avoid the "how much did you pay..." question, we were pretty uncomfortable when these people started comparing notes on child discipline. One woman said she pinches her toddler to make him behave. The other bragged that pulling her daughter's hair works like a charm. There was further discussion of a "cuff in the mouth" for the mouthy teenager. We were blown away by people bragging about doing these things. Anyways, we just kept nodding and ate fast.

The stupidest but funniest question I ever has asked what about my kids and their friends. Summer 03 on the Ecstasy, took my daughter then 15, son 9 and 2 of her friends 15 on the 4 day cruise out of LA. It was a birthday thing for 2 of the girls and they brought a friend. We were at a table for 8 so we way outnumbered the older couple & daughter placed with us. The first night they were relatively quiet, and the kids were well behaved. The next night the lady halfway thru dinner looks and me and says " are all of those kids yours?" I thought she's kidding right, the daughter looked mortified. I just smiled and oh yes, but they don't look alot alike becuase they have different dads.

Whats that commercial about priceless... Thats was her face after my answer. The girls just busted up laughing. We did later explain. But she was totally gullible. I am so easy going I took it in stride but that lady was so embarassed.

Doing a cruise in April only they are now 17 & 11, only 2 girls and my son, I'll just say there twins LOL!

Happy Cruising!

Donna

The next night the lady halfway thru dinner looks and me and says " are all of those kids yours?" I thought she's kidding right, the daughter looked mortified. I just smiled and oh yes, but they don't look alot alike becuase they have different dads.

Whats that commercial about priceless... Thats was her face after my answer. The girls just busted up laughing.

Why would she be kidding? Sounds like she was just trying to make small talk... were these the first words from her to you after those two nights?

Tom

goodness, so people who don't know what something on the menu is don't belong on cruises?!

I have always liked my table mates. Our first couple of cruises we had table mates that had cruised many times. (One lady was doing her 98th) I was probally the one that asked the dumb questions.

Last year we cruised with a family who were on their first cruise and pretty much said this was a once in a lifetime type thing for them. Yes they asked us a few questions(like-" if I order escargot and hate it will they let me have something else?") as they realized we knew the ropes better then they did but it did not bother me at all and they were one of the nicest families I have ever met on a cruise.

I have only had one bad experience with a table mate. This was at tea-not dinner-thank goodness. I had a snobby woman butt into a converstion I was having with my husband. I was telling him how on Oprah I had seen Fergie who said scones were little different then biscuits the southern US is famous for-except they have friut in them and you eat then with clotted cream. This woman speaks up only hearing the latter part of what I said and says "Oh no-scones are nothing like biscuits". Then preceeds to say she had been to all these 5 star hotels and had tea. If that was not bad enough then the woman across the table pipes in with all the 5 star hotels SHE had been to-then it became a contest as to who could top the other.

I felt like snobbing them down and telling them I had been to Harrods in London and had "tea" in Harrod's restuarant-(not that that compares to a 5 star hotel I am sure in those kind of people's book) but I decided I did not want to stoop to their level and look as foolish as they. So -instead-hubby and I left after about 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

First crusie - 8 people at the table. Two couples recently married. One set worked at a bar together - very nice. Another set were professionals and the other had been married for some time and like to indulge in swinging. They were not very pushy about it, but there was no doubt they were into that. We missed a dinner one night and the next night when we showed up the newly weds from the bar asked "Why did you leave us alone with those people!"

Okay, here goes. Not really a question but worth sharing. We were a young couple on our first cruise aboard the QE2 (which, by the way, we loved). Table for 7 -- 3 lovely couples and one boorish, loud 40'ish single man who just happened to live a few towns over from us. We're going through the usual first night intoductions and we tell this man that we live in a certain town. He yells back at us "So, I guess you paid way too much for your house!" (BTW, not true, we brought a fixer-upper 12 years ago before prices went insane). This loud, obtrusive chatter went on the the entire dinner. We switched tables that same night!

Archived