7.3 earthquake hits Haiti

Sue L

Henry Bahn, a visiting official with the US Department of Agriculture, told AP: "Everybody is just totally, totally freaked out and shaken" and the sky is "grey with dust".

He said he saw a houses that had fallen into a ravine.

"It's just full of collapsed walls and rubble and barbed wire," he said.

Two powerful aftershocks measuring 5.9 and 5.5 on the magnitude scale have also struck the region.

So sad - my prayers and thoughts are with the haitian people.

jj......

A 7.0 is a very major earthquake that can be felt for hundreds of miles. After living in Los Angeles and feeling many earthquakes including the 1994 6.8 which caused major destruction and many deaths, there will be extensive damage to this 3rd world country. I am pretty sure that ships will not be going to Labadee in the near future. Hope the pier didn't sustain too much damage:(.

Also there is not a direct correlation between distance from epicenter and the potential for damage. It depends on the local geological characteristics. In fact, a 7 earthquake in the east would be worse that on the west coast. Yes, the east has a potential for an earthquake and have in the past, but they are much, much, less frequent.

Prayers for the people of Haiti/Dominican Republic and any others impacted.

News isnt getting better, reports of catastrophic damage, many dead and many injured...sounds like a tsunami may be headed for Jamaica...

there is a watch out, no tsunamis are being reported, where are you seeing this?

I believe that the distance between Port au Prince and Labadee is considerably more than 10 miles. This is certainly a tragic situation and our prayers go out to anyone who has suffered from the quake, but unless we receive reliable information to the contrary, it seems quite possible that given the distance separating it from the epicenter, the earthquake had little or no impact on Labadee.

The weather guy on our local station said the quake hit about 10 miles away from the capital. Port au Prince.

Sorry to hear about the earthquake. It will be awfull for the people in Hati since they do not live in anything close to earthquake proof. Seems we should all think about the how a third world country will be able to pick themselves up and move on in the near future.

Sad as it is, I still recall postings online (not here) back during the the Indonesian tsunami. People were complaining about why the US should have to send billions to help out.

On CNN right now, a USGS seismologist is saying that all of Hispaniola (Haiti and DR), Guantanamo Bay, Jamaica, and as far up as the Virgin Islands felt it, so I'm sure Labadee (land) did. They also said it's the kind of earthquake that is horizontal and had little uplift, and tsunamis usually come from offshore earthquakes that uplift the bottom of the ocean. Apparently this is not the kind of earthquake that is associated w/tsunamis, but there could be landslides that induce tsunamis.

That said, they're saying that there could be a lot of casualties in Haiti.

Let's pray for everyone.

On CNN right now, a USGS seismologist is saying that all of Hispaniola (Haiti and DR), Guantanamo Bay, Jamaica, and as far up as the Virgin Islands felt it, so I'm sure Labadee (land) did. They also said it's the kind of earthquake that is horizontal and had little uplift, and tsunamis usually come from offshore earthquakes that uplift the bottom of the ocean. Apparently this is not the kind of earthquake that is associated w/tsunamis, but there could be landslides that induce tsunamis.

That said, they're saying that there could be a lot of casualties in Haiti.

Let's pray for everyone.

A local seismologist was just on Boston TV saying the same thing about the slim possibility that this kind of quake would trigger a tsunami. I have no doubt that Labadee might have felt the quake but wonder if there would be significant damage there as a result.

wondering if the FOS is even aware? I'm sure the Captain is but it's sad to think there has got to be workers onboard from Haiti...can't imagine how they would feel knowing and having to leave without being able to check on family members ! Prayers go out to all

Ian Rogers of the Save the Children Foundation said a third aftershock just happened. Said it was not as hard as the first 2.

Screams for help from collapsed buildings are still being heard.

An AA flight that was trying to get out is still on the runway.

We were just there a few weeks ago and we were one of the first few ships to use the dock. After being on the island and seeing the 360 degree views, how scary. I can't imagine the devastation. I also wouldn't want to be there when an alert of that type was issued. They are in my prayers. It is food for thought, we have been on several cruise ships, never once was this particular disaster scenario talked about. Never mentioned anytime or anywhere. I can only hope we will never need one!! Happy and safe cruising to all.

Archived