Embarkation Lunch for Mariners (Several threads merged)

Rudolph38

If the lunch is in the MDR when you board what are you suppose to do with your carry ons?

Take them to the MDR?

We went directly on boarding to the MDR placed our carryons near our seats and enjoyed one of the best ethnic lunches HAL has had. Good spices etc. Loved it. After over an hour wait to board this was a godsend.

Often there is a place on Lido deck where you can leave your carryon and they are watch by crew person. If you happen to be staying in a Deluxe Veranda Suite or Penthouse, you can leave carryons in Neptune Lounge.

We keep them with us. We are carrying them on because they have absolute necessities and valuable in them or we wouldn't be taking them at all.

It seems several posts have mentioned that the Mariners lunch on embarkation day is ethnic cuisine. Is this always the case, or just on certain ships?

I'll be boarding the Maasdam in May and since it is a 15 day cruise I haven't been too worried about being on board as soon as possible. If the Mariners lunch is a unique menu, though, it may be worth making sure we're onboard in time to go to the MDR, rather than the Lido.

Thanks!

Stacy

From reading various threads here there are several different lunches being served on the ships.

Ours on the Zuiderdam was terrible:

Oct 24th Zuiderdam EMBARKATION lunch:

Appetizers:

Mediterranean Salami

Bay Shrimp Cocktail

Soups:

Cream of Broccoli

Chicken & Corn

Entrees:

Fettucini Gorgonzola with Spicy Chicken Breast

Chicken & Mango Salad

Pan Seared Salmon Filet

Chicken Cacciatore

Desserts:

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Cherry Pie

Strawberry Mousse

Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream

Seems to vary by ship.

Appetizers:

Mediterranean Salami

Bay Shrimp Cocktail

Soups:

Cream of Broccoli

Chicken & Corn

Entrees:

Chicken & Mango Salad

Pan Seared Salmon Filet

Chicken Cacciatore

Desserts:

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Cherry Pie

Strawberry Mousse

There was indeed a lunch in the lower level of the MDR on the day of embarkation for my last cruise on the Massdam on November 6, 2009. Although, you had to know it was going on because most of the crew was directing folks to the Lido. Indeed one crew member said there wasn't one but I was welcome to look. I was glad I looked.

There were about 30 of us who did the lunch while I was there and there could have been more as the ship filled up, as I didn't linger so I could explore the rest of the ship before lifeboat drill. The lunch was more like a dinner....great soup, shrimp cocktail and a nice beef entre and of course, your excellent dining room stewards.

On my other cruises I had always done the Lido, but I found this to be a more relaxing benifit of being a repeat cruiser. BTW...my cruise partner was a first timer and he was allowed to dine with me. No one even asked if he was a Mariner or not. I think they feel if you know about the lunch you are either a Mariner or an informed cruiser and you should be allowed in.

On The Eurodam we went to the MDR lunch after embarkation. The Steward who seated us found spots in the area where no one was to be seated to keep carry on stuff. It was in sight and accessible, but not in anyone's way.

IMHO it was far nicer that jostling around the Lido with the rest of the masses.

Seems to vary by ship.

Appetizers:

Mediterranean Salami

Bay Shrimp Cocktail

Soups:

Cream of Broccoli

Chicken & Corn

Entrees:

Chicken & Mango Salad

Pan Seared Salmon Filet

Chicken Cacciatore

Desserts:

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Cherry Pie

Strawberry Mousse

That is the same lunch we were offered on January 2nd on the Zuiderdam. The chicken mango salad was very good.

DH and I just got off the Zuiderda. We had a great mariner's lunch in the DR and took our carryons with us. Plenty of room around you to place them. Have a great cruise!:)

Ena, they told us they did not have it, that there was only the lido-unless we qualified for the Neptune-and this was our third HAL cruise. We did get the Mariner's brunch with the tile souvenirs one of the sea days. We liked those tiles, as we have cruised the Statendam.

Ena, they told us they did not have it, that there was only the lido-unless we qualified for the Neptune-and this was our third HAL cruise. We did get the Mariner's brunch with the tile souvenirs one of the sea days. We liked those tiles, as we have cruised the Statendam.

That's very sad that the welcome aboard crew didn't have a clue.

When we boarded the Maasdam in November, we were directed to the Lido. Asked something like 5 crew about MDR lunch, and the answers ranged from "Go to the Lido" to "No lunch in dining room today" to "More variety in the Lido." Well, we showed ourselves to the upper level MDR and, yes, we enjoyed our lunch there. Funny thing was that only about 8 or 10 other passengers were there for lunch ... I surmise they were in the middle of a 28-day and not newly boarding pax. Heard much chatter and dinnerware/flatware noises from the lower level and asked our server about the large group downstairs. His reply: Yes, ma'am, 300 travel agents:eek: If HAL wanted to host industry people, they coulda held a champagne reception in the show lounge ... and served the good nuts with the bubbly IMHO.

On our Oct 24th and Nov 3 Zuiderdam cruises the dining room was open for lunch from 11:30 - 1:30 PM.

The menu was not that great -- but if you love chicken then you'll love the menu:

Appetizers:

Mediterranean Salami

Bay Shrimp Cocktail

Soups:

Cream of Broccoli

Chicken & Corn

Entrees:

Chicken & Mango Salad

Pan Seared Salmon Filet

Chicken Cacciatore

Desserts:

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Cherry Pie

Strawberry Mousse

From reading various threads here there are several different lunches being served on the ships.

Ours on the Zuiderdam was terrible:

Appetizers:

Mediterranean Salami

Bay Shrimp Cocktail

Soups:

Cream of Broccoli

Chicken & Corn

Entrees:

Chicken & Mango Salad

Pan Seared Salmon Filet

Chicken Cacciatore

Desserts:

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Cherry Pie

Strawberry Mousse

Food choices are subjective. I would be VERY HAPPY to enjoy the shrimp cocktail, ANY OF THE ENTREE CHOICES, and chocolate mousse cake served to me in an elegant atmosphere rather than dealing with embarkation day in the Lido.

And after all, its only one meal of many to come.

We were happy with the bay shrimp cocktail and the chicken mango salad.

But the mousse was WARM!!

JMO -- but this menu left very little choice for people who are vegetarians or don't like chicken.

We have eaten on other ships on embarkation day (Vista class ships only at that time) and the choices were quite varied.

Do you just go to the MDR after you board?On 24 day TA we were never told to go there,we ate in the Lido,I have heard that some ships do not even open the MDR.What gives?We are 3star Mariners.We have been invited to the mariners brunch which we enjoy.Will see what happens on

our 21 day on the Ryndam in April. Just curious:D:D:D.

Jim.

Do you just go to the MDR after you board?On 24 day TA we were never told to go there,we ate in the Lido,I have heard that some ships do not even open the MDR.What gives?We are 3star Mariners.We have been invited to the mariners brunch which we enjoy.Will see what happens on

our 21 day on the Ryndam in April. Just curious:D:D:D.

Jim.

This new Mariner Perk was just started the end of September -- first part of Ocotber -- dpending on ship (2009).

Some people are told when they check in that the dining room is available for lunch. When we checked in for the Zuiderdam in Oct nothing was said to us -- we are 4 star Mariners.

This is supposed to be on ALL ships but I have read here where a couple of times the dining room was closed because the ship was hosting a TA lunch.

This new Mariner Perk was just started the end of September -- first part of Ocotber -- dpending on ship (2009).

Some people are told when they check in that the dining room is available for lunch. When we checked in for the Zuiderdam in Oct nothing was said to us -- we are 4 star Mariners.

This is supposed to be on ALL ships but I have read here where a couple of times the dining room was closed because the ship was hosting a TA lunch.

Thank you kk,this was my point,why are they not informing us when we board ship? I do not really sweath it but it would be nice to be told.It will not stop me cruising HAL.:D:D:D

Thank you for your replies. I guess we won't rush. My mother is a vegetarian and I tend toward that the majority of the time, as well. We'll just play the day by ear (we'll be spending the night before somewhere between Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale) and if we are onboard in time, we may swing by and take a look at the menu before heading to the Lido.

Thank you for your replies. I guess we won't rush. My mother is a vegetarian and I tend toward that the majority of the time, as well. We'll just play the day by ear (we'll be spending the night before somewhere between Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale) and if we are onboard in time, we may swing by and take a look at the menu before heading to the Lido.

Sadly on the Zuiderdam the menu wasn't posted outisde the dining room like we have seem on other ships.

Archived