Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

The CEO (Adam Goldstein) was interview on NPR's "Morning Edition" today, during the business section. He was asked, point-blank, about the Labadee port calls. You should probably be able to find the audio on NPR.com later today.

I'm a cynic by nature, but I thought he conducted himself very well. He pointed out that RCCL's Labadee project is the single largest foreign project in the country - $50 million or so. He also made certain to mention that each ship that calls there is offloading palettes of supplies, especially bottled water.

He also talked about his desires to see more tourism improvements in the country. Those of us who've been on more than one Caribbean cruise know that all the port areas start to look the same. But I'm sure there is a benefit to the local economy, even if small. Small is better than nothing.

Trust me, I'm not one who EVER defends corporations. But I think they're at least trying, as opposed to looking elitist and aloof by rerouting the ships.

I'm open to debate.

-Dito

By the way, the Haitians are furious that the US Military is in their country in full combat gear. I guess they want to pretend they aren't killing each other for a bottle of water.

Ironic as the Haitian government ceded control of the country to the US. The ones who are "furious" are likely the ones on the other side of the law. And what do they expect them to wear? Khaki shorts and Hawaiian shirts?

...if there was a way that a humanitarian excursion could be offered at some ports, I would be on board for that... take a day to build or paint or clean or something. That would be a great family experience.

The people on my roll call can't even get their kids out of bed for a 7:30am segway excursion so I don't see how you're going to sell that one.

Have no fear, the Americans are there to rebuild Haiti and save the people that can be saved. Misery is no stranger to the people of Haiti, they were eating dirt long before this earthquake and people were partying up a storm in Labadee.

By the way, the Haitians are furious that the US Military is in their country in full combat gear. I guess they want to pretend they aren't killing each other for a bottle of water.

Ya see that!!!!!

Even in Haiti there are "dress code police" :)

The people on my roll call can't even get their kids out of bed for a 7:30am segway excursion so I don't see how you're going to sell that one.

probably not a good idea for families. But, there are many who would be interested in helping others rather than helping themselves. I think it would be a great lesson for Kids too.

probably not a good idea for families. But, there are many who would be interested in helping others rather than helping themselves. I think it would be a great lesson for Kids too.

I would phrase it, "...there are many who would be interested in helping others"... if they had the opportunity.

Your quote implies that people on vacation who don't want to pitch in are self-serving and uncaring.

btw I think it would be MUCH too dangerous right now for any cruiser to be rebuilding anything anywhere near Port au Prince. Have you looked at the news? People all over running around with sticks, broken bottles, and any weapon of choice to use on someone else who might have a bottle of water. Maybe Disney could offer this excursion in Epcot.

I want to go on the cruise. I am not sure how people can go to Labadee and still enjoy themselves when there is such misery going on. Maybe I can get into some assistance with the relief effort when I go. It just is not right to party hard when so many are suffering RIGHT THERE. People suffer all the time, but I do not see anyway to justify that.

OK go into the imaginary world and pretend the earthquake didn't happen. Heck put yourself back to say August 2008. Well before the earthquake. Are you going to have a good time, eat your lunch and party like there is no tomorrow. If so then it just means that you have been sensatized to their current problem. You see in August 2008 there were also fighting/killing each other over guess what food and water. There were food riots then. No not in Labadee, probably not in Cap Haiten but yes in PaP the same place that the earthquake is. Those people have been in misery for years because the haves and the have-nots is even more pronounced than here in the US. I am not trying to say that you should enjoy yourself if you are deeply affected by the misery just pointing out that the misery is not new as many here seem to think.

I want to go on the cruise. I am not sure how people can go to Labadee and still enjoy themselves when there is such misery going on. Maybe I can get into some assistance with the relief effort when I go. It just is not right to party hard when so many are suffering RIGHT THERE. People suffer all the time, but I do not see anyway to justify that.

If you have conflicting emotions, you don't have to get off the ship and party - get off the ship and go to the Haitian Market and spend there. That way at least you are putting some money in the hands of the ones who really need it.

OK go into the imaginary world and pretend the earthquake didn't happen. Heck put yourself back to say August 2008. Well before the earthquake. Are you going to have a good time, eat your lunch and party like there is no tomorrow. If so then it just means that you have been sensatized to their current problem. You see in August 2008 there were also fighting/killing each other over guess what food and water. There were food riots then. No not in Labadee, probably not in Cap Haiten but yes in PaP the same place that the earthquake is. Those people have been in misery for years because the haves and the have-nots is even more pronounced than here in the US. I am not trying to say that you should enjoy yourself if you are deeply affected by the misery just pointing out that the misery is not new as many here seem to think.

No denying that haiti is a miserable place anyway. I have more insight than most, but will not get into those reasons. However, I will say that at some point all of us should stop and think about the "haves and the have nots" and think of others. But, we work hard(or atleast most of us do) for our vacations and yes, we should enjoy ourselves. I would find it rewarding to give back. No one has to agree, but since it is such a place of misery it is good some people do these things.

Throughout all these Haiti threads, I keep seeing a reference to "partying" in Labadee. Where the heck is all this partying? I've been there about a half dozen times and never seen it. It's a lazy beach day. It's not like there are a bunch of drunks running around with balloon hats getting tequila poured down their throats and yelling "woo-hoo!"

No denying that haiti is a miserable place anyway. I have more insight than most, but will not get into those reasons. However, I will say that at some point all of us should stop and think about the "haves and the have nots" and think of others. But, we work hard(or atleast most of us do) for our vacations and yes, we should enjoy ourselves. I would find it rewarding to give back. No one has to agree, but since it is such a place of misery it is good some people do these things.

That is true without an earthquake. Fortunately, there are many opportunities available for individuals to give their time, talent and money while on vacation to good causes.

Cruising for the most part isn't one of those vacation choices.

So, it's OK for you to go to the Med and have a high ol' time, but not OK to do it nearby. The logic escapes me. Unless, of course, what you're saying is that being so close would make you feel guilty, but partying far away doesn't.

Mark_K, I am going on a Caribbean cruise in July...

My point here is this...at some point when we go to one port after another and enjoy ourselves. We need to remember these people that are working for us to have a good time may be suffering too from loss of a family member in the earthquake, or the floods last year...etc. I am not judging, just making a statement with regards to how I feel. I think it is time for ME to remember that I do NOT have to have a lazy beach day if I can give back to a community that allows all of us to have a good vacation.

To my somewhat simplistic way of thinking, I can't help the whole world, but maybe I can make a difference for one person.

It sounds to me like Royal Caribbean, like so many of us, is giving aid dollars towards the destruction in and around Port-au-Prince. What they are (and the ship passengers are doing) also doing is keeping the economic status quo in one particular area of Haiti. There is, at least, one group of people who can keep operating in the same manner as they did before the earthquake. This was their livelihood before - it is their livelihood now. It is one that they would not have without the presence of Royal Caribbean. I'll never be in government, but if I were and I was faced with a diaster in my nation, I would be very glad that there was one area I didn't have to worry about.

It's kind of like the fact that most of the French Quarter didn't flood after Katrina and that was one area of New Orleans that could be returned to "normal" more easily and bring in dollars that the economy needed. To go and spend dollars there did not ignore the devastation surrounding it. It helped it.

Mark_K, I am going on a Caribbean cruise in July...

My point here is this...at some point when we go to one port after another and enjoy ourselves. We need to remember these people that are working for us to have a good time may be suffering too from loss of a family member in the earthquake, or the floods last year...etc. I am not judging, just making a statement with regards to how I feel. I think it is time for ME to remember that I do NOT have to have a lazy beach day if I can give back to a community that allows all of us to have a good vacation.

Labadee is an enclosed and guarded area, and likely to be even more closely guarded in the immediate future. I doubt there will be any alternatives to a lazy beach day that will help the Haitians.

We need to remember these people that are working for us to have a good time may be suffering too from loss of a family member in the earthquake, or the floods last year...etc.

We also need to remember that many of the people we are enjoying ourselves with may be suffering from a loss in 9-11, Katrina, the war, etc. Makes little difference. Life goes on.

All these "Should we go to Labadee?" threads remindd me of something.

Its like some people have ideas of how long a period of mourning should be?

I come from an old Italian family,(maybe other nationalities had the same customs, I am just talking about what I know)

Years ago if you lost a family member you wore black at least a year(some women wore it til the day they died ) You didn't accept social invitations for a year , you didn't put up a Chrsitmas tree or decorations the first Christmas after.

You did any of these things in that "unacceptable period" man did you get talked about by the relatives and neighbors.

"God her husband is in the ground 6 months and she went to the movies with her sister. She must have been waiting for him to drop dead."

"What kind of people sing Christmas Carols and put a snowman up. The grandmother just died last March its like they are dancing on her grave."

No one can judge how another one feels during a time of loss .

Going to Labadee and spending money there certainly isn't the answer to the Haitian peoples prayers but its a financial help.

Life goes on , shutting down and doing nothing doesn't do any one any good.

Not necessarily at a private port but at many others you can help others as one of your shore excursions. In Honduras my excursion was to take gifts to the local children's home and spend time with them just showing them love which they were pretty starved for. I implore others to do some searching outside of your cruise line for your excursions. You will find many things. Often the tour companies put a make your own tour option. If you consult with the tour operator and explain your desires they can probably take you to do some amazing and loving things.

We also need to remember that many of the people we are enjoying ourselves with may be suffering from a loss in 9-11, Katrina, the war, etc. Makes little difference. Life goes on.

If you go grocery shopping today , how do you know the cashier didn't lose her husband to a heart attack 2 weeks ago.

If you go out to lunch , maybe the girl at the drive thru lost her brother in a car accident.

Everyone has their heartache.

All these "Should we go to Labadee?" threads remindd me of something.

Its like some people have ideas of how long a period of mourning should be?

I come from an old Italian family,(maybe other nationalities had the same customs, I am just talking about what I know)

Years ago if you lost a family member you wore black at least a year(some women wore it til the day they died ) You didn't accept social invitations for a year , you didn't put up a Chrsitmas tree or decorations the first Christmas after.

You did any of these things in that "unacceptable period" man did you get talked about by the relatives and neighbors.

"God her husband is in the ground 6 months and she went to the movies with her sister. She must have been waiting for him to drop dead."

"What kind of people sing Christmas Carols and put a snowman up. The grandmother just died last March its like they are dancing on her grave."

No one can judge how another one feels during a time of loss .

Going to Labadee and spending money there certainly isn't the answer to the Haitian peoples prayers but its a financial help.

Life goes on , shutting down and doing nothing doesn't do any one any good.

well said

I would phrase it, "...there are many who would be interested in helping others"... if they had the opportunity.

Your quote implies that people on vacation who don't want to pitch in are self-serving and uncaring.

btw I think it would be MUCH too dangerous right now for any cruiser to be rebuilding anything anywhere near Port au Prince. Have you looked at the news? People all over running around with sticks, broken bottles, and any weapon of choice to use on someone else who might have a bottle of water. Maybe Disney could offer this excursion in Epcot.

Marci I don't think that is what they were saying. We all understand that people vacation for a variety of reasons. All we are saying is that some people would enjoy the opportunity, it is perfectly fine if others choose not to. I agree that Haiti is not typically the safest area for such opportunity, but there are other ports with poverty and great need. My kids would love to give back and I also agree that it would be an excellent learning opportunity. I would like to see it through an established organization like the Red Cross.

Not necessarily at a private port but at many others you can help others as one of your shore excursions. In Honduras my excursion was to take gifts to the local children's home and spend time with them just showing them love which they were pretty starved for. I implore others to do some searching outside of your cruise line for your excursions. You will find many things. Often the tour companies put a make your own tour option. If you consult with the tour operator and explain your desires they can probably take you to do some amazing and loving things.

Anette,

How did you do this? Where did you find information?

If you go grocery shopping today , how do you know the cashier didn't lose her husband to a heart attack 2 weeks ago.

If you go out to lunch , maybe the girl at the drive thru lost her brother in a car accident.

Everyone has their heartache.

yes, we definitely do have heartache of our own. I think everyone deals with loss in their own way. I am glad if I can make that one bit of difference and am aware of many church charities in Haiti that I plan on participating with. This make ME feel better and feel more aware of the troubles others go through. I am thankful that I have people there when I need them and just want to give back to mankind. That is all. No more than I would say I am sorry to someone in the grocery store that is crying or suffering.

It does not sound like you are familiar with this port stop. There are no shore excursions outside of activities that are offered by RCI. There are no options, there are no tour companies, there is tour operator to consult with. This is a stop at RCI's private resort located on on Haiti and no one is going anywhere that RCI isn't taking them.

It does not sound like you are familiar with this port stop. There are no shore excursions outside of activities that are offered by RCI. There are no options, there are no tour companies, there is tour operator to consult with. This is a stop at RCI's private resort located on on Haiti and no one is going anywhere that RCI isn't taking them.
It sounds like you did not read the post you are criticizing. tbear2762's very first phrase acknowledged that Labadee was a private port, and one would probably not be able to do things there. I too have spent part of a cruise day at an orphanage in Roatan, Honduras - both heartwarming and heartbreaking.

Thom

Archived