World Cruise -I want full, she wants parts

trikeman

This may sound crazy but here's my problem. I want to do a full world cruise, my wife doesn't. She said there's only certain segments she would like to see and she wouldn't want to spend that much time away from home. How could I book the cruise I want and still have her join me on the segments she wants? Would I have to book in segments as well? :confused:

Having done a WC and a couple of other long cruises and seeing people come and go, I don't see a problem with this. You book a cabin together for the duration and your wife can probably arrange to come and go as she pleases. Agree that you should confirm this with your Travel Agent before booking a ship.

Debbie

Solution,, dump her,, marry me,, LOL ,, ok,, my hubby wouldn't go for that,, and the kids would miss me,, but I'm willing to sacrifice for a world cruise,, LOL

Interesting option, but if I did that she would make sure I couldn't afford it. ;)

Contact your TA. At worst, you could book the segments you both want as double occupancy and the ones you are doing alone as solo, paying the single supplement.

I planned on talking to a TA as soon as I find a good one who knows cruising. Around here they all seem to just know short cruising.

What has been your longest cruise so far? Most world cruises are 90+ days, and that is really a long time if you have been accustomed to 7-14 days cruises. EM

I've been on longer for work. Besides I'm a natural traveler being of both Cherokee and Gypsy decent. :p

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll just have to do my homework to make this work.

With the single supplement factored in, it would cost almost as much for just one of you to cruise as both. How long is the tour? Keep trying to talk her into it. Kathy

I don't know. It would start to seriously irritate me if my DH kept going on and on trying to talk me into something I've clearly stated that I don't want to do or have no interest in seeing. I don't nag him about things like that either. IMO, it shows a bit of a lack of respect, as if their preferences and wishes are somehow "wrong" and must be corrected. It's kind of like when someone comes here and asks, "How do I convince my whoever, who doesn't want to cruise and has said so many times, that he/she will love it and must cruise with me?" While it's true that it might cost nearly as much for him to pay the single supplement on the portions where she is not onboard, it might also be better for their marriage if they can each have what they want in this case.

My question is how well it will work for her to travel back and forth from home to the ship for her first portion, then traveling back home, then traveling back to the ship for her next portion, and so forth. That sounds awfully tiring (and expensive, but that may not be an issue here). She might grow tired of all the back and forth. I don't know whether I'd want to do it.

beachchick

This may sound crazy but here's my problem. I want to do a full world cruise, my wife doesn't. She said there's only certain segments she would like to see and she wouldn't want to spend that much time away from home. How could I book the cruise I want and still have her join me on the segments she wants? Would I have to book in segments as well? :confused:

how about going on one cruise too the places she wants too do and then she can compromise and take the itinerary you want on the next one. have a great time.

I would love to try this one day. I am afraid of it though.. My longest was 11 days.. I felt I could go more.. but other times.. I can't wait to get back after 7 days. I think it would be best to let her come, and go as she wished.. I bet she will want to be onboard more often than not.. cause she doesn't HAVE to be onboard. That would be me..

I don't know. It would start to seriously irritate me if my DH kept going on and on trying to talk me into something I've clearly stated that I don't want to do or have no interest in seeing. I don't nag him about things like that either. IMO, it shows a bit of a lack of respect, as if their preferences and wishes are somehow "wrong" and must be corrected. It's kind of like when someone comes here and asks, "How do I convince my whoever, who doesn't want to cruise and has said so many times, that he/she will love it and must cruise with me?" While it's true that it might cost nearly as much for him to pay the single supplement on the portions where she is not onboard, it might also be better for their marriage if they can each have what they want in this case. If I've learned one thing in a marriage and nothing else, that is you can't make someone do what they don't want to no matter how much you talk it up.

My question is how well it will work for her to travel back and forth from home to the ship for her first portion, then traveling back home, then traveling back to the ship for her next portion, and so forth. That sounds awfully tiring (and expensive, but that may not be an issue here). She might grow tired of all the back and forth. I don't know whether I'd want to do it. She loves to cruise and she loves to fly. She just doesn't like to leave her home for any great length of time.

Solution,, dump her,, marry me,, LOL ,, ok,, my hubby wouldn't go for that,, and the kids would miss me,, but I'm willing to sacrifice for a world cruise,, LOL

No! Marry me! My husband would gladly give me away to someone who would take me on a World Cruise! I want to do ALL and he doesn't want to do any. Rude rude!:)

I'd suggest that you do half this year . . . and half next year or year after next. A lengthy, lengthy vacation sounds wonderful, but in reality last summer we did a three-week trip, and although I loved every minute of the trip, at the end of three-weeks, I was ready to go home. Speaking for myself only, I think I would enjoy it more if it were half now, half later.

Ah well see now I was going to suggest leaving her at home and taking me but I think I better take a ticket - seems to be a line up :D

I am still convincing DH that we NEED to cruise Xmas 2011 and looks like I will be trading off on a spa for him and a cruise for me - win win really.

Maybe do the portions your wife wants to do together, and then do the other parts with a friend?

Wow all these offers are going to go to my head. I'd better hurry up and hit the Lotto so I can take all you ladies with me.:D

Being away for long periods of time is something I can do easily. I'm not the type of person that needs a base to work from, just give me a place to sleep and that's home for me. I believe my DW thinks of home as being like a security blanket and that's OK we all have our Quirks. Yes even me (I know that's disillusioning to you ladies). :p

Maybe do the portions your wife wants to do together, and then do the other parts with a friend?

That's a good idea. I was thinking that as well. Have a friend join you for the parts your wife doesn't want to go.

I can understand where your wife is coming from. I love to travel and it's a bit of a let down to have to leave my vacation, but I'm always glad to be back home. It's nice to be back in my own bed and have the comforts of home around. Plus there's the worry if the house is still standing and if the house sitter is taking good care of it after being gone for so long.

I planned on talking to a TA as soon as I find a good one who knows cruising. Around here they all seem to just know short cruising.
We can't mention specific TAs per the CC rules, but there are a few TAs who specialize in the World Cruises. They have groups (with lower group rates), special activities/parties and even their own shore excursions for more variety than those offered by the cruise line (and lower prices). I would strongly suggest you find one.

Archived