2 week driving trip

underwoods5

Am looking into a 2 week driving trip w/me & hubby, 3 grown children (23,20 & 16), & 3 grandparents (still very fit tho!). We already have airfare for everyone booked into Juneau. Can someone give us an idea if driving to denali would be doable during this timeframe? Want to visit alot around things in Juneau, but then take ferry to haines, rent a car & see some inside stuff then. Thanks for any advice.

You're flying to Juneau? You can't drive to Denali - or anywhere for that matter - from Juneau - no roads outside. Did you mean Anchorage??

The OP said that they're taking the ferry to Haines and renting a car there. There is a road out of Haines. Now, they also said that there are 8 adults doing this - so I don't know about renting A car - I'd guess this is going to be a $$$$$$ trip!:D

I wonder, if they are round trip Juneau??? Would be far superior if they were open jaw, into Juneau and out of Anchorage/Fairbanks. Will cut into "touring" time, if they have to get back to Juneau.

They are going to need several cars, vans probably are going to be in very short supply if even available out of Haines?? They need to determine that now. http://www.visithaines.com

But if I were extended time in Juneau, you bet your booty I would be staying in that area,- a couple days in Glacier Bay/Gustavus :) Sailing Tracy Arm :), yes Haines, but also Skagway, Hoonah, Sitka. :) Well that's the two weeks!!!!

Certinaly doable although it will include a lot of driving and expense. On a good day it will take about 15 hours to get from Haines to Denali. Hopefully the family bonding has already taken place.

If you're bent on doing this itinerary, an open jaw ticket would be good as BQ mentioned.You don't want to drive back the same 15 hours. Beautiful scenery for sure but there are also very long stretches of nothing but trees.

I'd stay in SE Alaska. There's more than 2 weeks worth of good stuff to see down there. Save Denali for another trip.

Archived