Do you take your good jewelry?

GoldWest

I'd bring and wear what little I have on the ship--if it gets lost or stolen while I'm not wearing it, it's just jewelry and no big deal.

Off the ship, no. I don't care about losing my jewelry, but losing my personal safety concerns me a lot! I wouldn't wear anything that would tempt anyone to try and mug me.

Is it safe to wear really good/valuable jewelry? I have a wedding set with big diamonds which I feel is safer on my finger, I hate to leave them home. But if it's not safe, I'll leave them with my mom.

1st off....

Where are you going????

There's a big difference between an Alaska or Canada/New England cruise

and other parts of the world.

Once I know where you are going I can answer your question

I don't have any amazing jewelry but I do have pearls and sentimental jewelry. I bring them on board and wear them around the ship but I generally take off any jewelry if there is any chance I will be in water or doing anything active. I realized that I never wear my pearls because I have nowhere "nice" to wear them sometimes, so why not enjoy them on my vacation?

This will be a western Caribbean cruise.

I would bring them, store in YOUR PURSE, which is carried across your body.

I would not put them in your carry on, as carry on's can be taken from you and put below even after you have boarded the plane for a variety of reasons.

wear your jewelry on the ship only, and then store in a locked safe.

wear you wedding band only in port

if you will be in the water, you and DH should put wedding bands in the safe

Personally, I believe it's not about whether you have insurance or not

it's about making yourself a target

I would bring them, store in YOUR PURSE, which is carried across your body.

I would not put them in your carry on, as carry on's can be taken from you and put below even after you have boarded the plane for a variety of reasons.

wear your jewelry on the ship only, and then store in a locked safe.

wear you wedding band only in port

if you will be in the water, you and DH should put wedding bands in the safe

Personally, I believe it's not about whether you have insurance or not

it's about making yourself a target

Totally agree!

I always bring my good jewelry. What's the point of having it if it's not worn? It's perfect for aboard ship.

Take off when getting off the ship.

Yes, I bring my good jewelry. However, I use discretion as to wearing it. If we are in a poverty area that has some incidents of crime, then no, I would leave it in the safe. We like to tour around the islands, typically utilizing a "local" cabbie who most of the time knows more about the island that the tour folks. The islanders don't seem to leave their islands. They have lots to share. If we're in St. Thomas or St. Martin, I feel fine wearing my jewelry.:o

I think wearing it on the ship and wearing it in port are two different situations. On the ship it is pretty safe - the same precautions you would take in your home town. As earlier posters mentioned, you can get insurance against its loss.

In port, depending on whaere you are going, wearing good jewelry (or just jewelry that LOOKS like it is "good") can make one a target for theives. No amount of insurance can ensure your personal safety.

I always insure and travel with my jewellery -- I have 2 philosophies when it comes to my jewellery since my brush with serious illness

1) Life's to short to wear fake jewellery

and

2) What's the point in having it if you don't wear it...

I just love the way that diamonds sparkle... wear them don't hide them...

Of course I take my real stuff, along with some fake.

I don't wear much jewelry during the day, usually just my watch and earrings. But at night onboard the ship I wear as much as the outfit calls for.

Just lock it up back into the safe before going to bed, no matter how tired you are or how much you have had to drink.

A couple of other thoughts ...

and just throwing it into the mix...

I love my engagement ring, the sentimental value alone of what it means to us....

Yes, I have insurance..for that and my other pieces

but each piece I have was given to me for special occasion...by my mom and/or husband

they have significant memories attached to them.

I'm sure many of you have the same thing...

Why wouldn't you be more cautious about wearing them into ports that have extreme poverty or just known for targeting tourists...

There was the segway tour in the Bahamas, passengers in South America and when you travel in Europe..look at womans hands..the majority of locals don't wear diamonds..just a thin band.

why not keep your cherished pieces in the cabin safe while

you are in port? instead of giving the impression to a criminal that you have money

Also, when you decide to bargain while in port...do you really feel comfortable try to talk down a obviously poor vendor another dollar or so..while you are wearing a diamond ring or earrings????

good, mediocre, and costume..all in zip locks..matched for the outfit..all in a BIG bag goes with me in my roll-a-board..I use the safe religeously..costumy stuff for shore/seadays. If some one asks "is it real".. I just:rolleyes:, and say, "yeah, right like I could afford all this stuff if it was"..and never really give way with a real answer..I mix $$$$ w /$ tastefully and get the look I want..whooz busness is it anyway! ? I still have my Senior Prom bag and jewels....circa 1962..looks great too. after all it's just "stuff"..and it is insured!

Also, when you decide to bargain while in port...do you really feel comfortable try to talk down a obviously poor vendor another dollar or so..while you are wearing a diamond ring or earrings????

I don't like to haggle a poor vendor over a buck whether I'm wearing jewelry or not.

I give money to charity for poor people, so why should I try to haggle pennies away from someone trying to earn a living?

I know, OT, sorry. :o

Back to jewelry discussion. :)

• 5 weeks later...

i used to bring a lot of good jewelry on vacation (to have choices) until a couple years ago while in Mexico (a VERY nice resort) i had a pair of diamond hoop earings and an irreplacable gold necklace stolen right from the room safe. Unless I am visiting family, I leave my jewelry at home. I am torn now about the wedding rings though. My mom keeps telling me to get a fake $20 set but I'm afraid of leaving my good stuff in the empty apartment as much as I am bringing it with me. Not sure what to do

Archived