Do you take your good jewelry?

GoldWest

I absolutely wear my jewelry. I have 2 ct diamond solitaire engagement ring that I wear EVERYWHERE. I have never had a problem in any port. In fact, we get lots of attnetion in jewelry stores since they assume we'll spend more. If I'm on a water excursion, I only wear my diamond earring studs and my rings, but if we're just shopping or touring, I'll add a watch, bracelet and necklace. My feeling is why have it if you're afraid to wear it?

I also bring some of my good jewelry to wear on formal nights. Everything goes in the safe after we board. I carry it all onboard myself of course.

You will see lots of jewelry being worn in ports by both tourist and locals. We spent 5 days at the Atlantis in the Bahamas last Oct and I saw quite a bit of gold and a lot of diamonds on everyone, not just guests of the hotel. Just because some people don't wear diamonds, doesn't mean they don't wear jewelry. Gold is very popular all over the world and I've seen some huge amounts of gold on people.

Also, when you decide to bargain while in port...do you really feel comfortable try to talk down a obviously poor vendor another dollar or so..while you are wearing a diamond ring or earrings????

Take a close look at most vendors and you'll find they're wearing jewelry, gold mainly, but they do have it. It's rare you see any local not wearing a gold chain, earrings, etc. They may not have diamonds, but diamonds don't mean as much in some cultures as others, plus gold is easier to buy and sell when needed.

Plus, I don't try to talk down an "obviously poor vendor" - interesting statement btw. If they bargain with me, that's fine. So, you have no trouble taking money from them, but don't want them to feel badly because you're wearing jewelry? LOL

I bring my good jewelry because I enjoy wearing it, especially when I'd dressed up.

I always wear my engagement and wedding rings, but they're plain gold bands with just a one carat diamond, so I don't think they're flashy or make me a target of thieves.

In port, I'm likely to wear inexpensive silver earrings and a bracelet. I prefer not to haggle with vendors--I generally figure that the small difference in price would have less of an impact on my life than on the vendor's life.

I wont keep saying over and over Im not a cruiser yet, but I do travel. While yes,my VERY nice wedding rings are insured, they are too precious to me to loose or get stolen on vacation. I now have my Great grandmothers band, i wear along with my set DH gave me. Id be sick if it got gone somewhow.:eek:

So, I travel with a cheap,but pretty CZ set I got off ebay. Its a silver band with a round CZ engament ring. I like it! so I wear it. :)

Earrings. I keep some of the piercing kind in my 2nd hole all the time,and unless its a special occasion,I just wear simple silver hoops in my ears.

For formal night I may jazz it up and throw on a set of fake pearls,but that will be it for me. while I like jewlery,dont get me wrong,I dont wear much of it at home,and none of it I dont think would be gaudy.

My reccomendation would be to leave it at home,and buy a cheapy somewhere. ;){we have a fireproof gun safe}

063.jpg.ac5b9c083270981a7e126f1a16ffb9e2.jpg

064.jpg.9f4c749b804403b32d8455d83fad91d7.jpg

Take a close look at most vendors and you'll find they're wearing jewelry, gold mainly, but they do have it. It's rare you see any local not wearing a gold chain, earrings, etc. They may not have diamonds, but diamonds don't mean as much in some cultures as others, plus gold is easier to buy and sell when needed.

Plus, I don't try to talk down an "obviously poor vendor" - interesting statement btw. If they bargain with me, that's fine. So, you have no trouble taking money from them, but don't want them to feel badly because you're wearing jewelry? LOL

Yes, I've travelled extensively throughout the world and there are several but NOT a majority that wear their entire savings as gold bracelets.

The countries that I have seen this in, it is traditonal. So, they all blend in together.

Diamonds are NOT the norm outside of the USA, in fact even in Antwerp

Belgium women were not wearing them.

However, it does signal to others outside of the USA that you have money and in their minds LOTS of it

You actually confirmed this by saying you get more attention in jewelry stores

If you want to walk off a cruise ship or travel by land WEARING a 2ct diamond ring, diamond earrings and then add to that with a watch, necklace and bracelet....you might was well paint a bulls eye on your back.

The Caribbean and Mexico aren't as safe as they use to be and I can tell you that if you went to 1/2 the places we go to...you would be robbed within 24 hours.

[/color][/size]

Yes, I've travelled extensively throughout the world and there are several but NOT a majority that wear their entire savings as gold bracelets.

The countries that I have seen this in, it is traditonal. So, they all blend in together.

Diamonds are NOT the norm outside of the USA, in fact even in Antwerp

Belgium women were not wearing them.

However, it does signal to others outside of the USA that you have money and in their minds LOTS of it

You actually confirmed this by saying you get more attention in jewelry stores

If you want to walk off a cruise ship or travel by land WEARING a 2ct diamond ring, diamond earrings and then add to that with a watch, necklace and bracelet....you might was well paint a bulls eye on your back.

The Caribbean and Mexico aren't as safe as they use to be and I can tell you that if you went to 1/2 the places we go to...you would be robbed within 24 hours.

Thanks for all your "experience" as if I haven't travelled. I know diamonds aren't the norm and I even said so. I've been to Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean and have never had any issues with wearing my jewelry.

I will wear the jewelry I have ALWAYS worn and I've seen bigger on others in ports. I do think you're somewhat paranoid if you think that every american tourist who wears jewelry is a target overseas. The crime rate in your hometown is probably higher than it is in most ports that ships visit.

And since the question was "do you take your good jewelry"? I'll answer again. Yes I do.

Please don't worry about ever taking a vendor to the cleaners or robbing them of income. Bargaining is an art and a sport here in Mexico.

A story: An American person told their significant other about the great deal they got on the Mexican beach. " Poor soul didn't know what he was selling was actually worth. Look, I got this $40 bracelet for only $10 dollars."

Later that evening, the Mexican vendor told his wife: "I sold one of those $1 bracelets today for ten dollars.":rolleyes:

When you say Europe, you do realise that it's a pretty varied continent, right? I'm sitting here in the UK with my diamond engagement ring, thinking about all the people I know who have engagement rings, none of whom don't have a diamond...

I know it's totally off topic and you probably weren't thinking about the UK, but we have diamonds here too! ;)

When you say Europe, you do realise that it's a pretty varied continent, right? I'm sitting here in the UK with my diamond engagement ring, thinking about all the people I know who have engagement rings, none of whom don't have a diamond...

I know it's totally off topic and you probably weren't thinking about the UK, but we have diamonds here too! ;)

If this was directed to me ...

I'm well aware that the UK is not in Europe.

Whether I'm visiting Veliko Tarnavo or Volos, Paris or Plovdiv, Cesky Krumlov or Corniglia and everywhere in between

...Diamonds have been in the minority.

My friends in London have said that its only been in the last 10-15 years that diamonds have

become more mainstream and much like ours in the States...

I'm just curious...would you walk around Genoa? Barcelona? Mostar? etc etc

with a 2 carat solitaire, diamond earrings, a necklace and a bracelet on???

What do you mean by your "good jewelry"? I do bring what I consider to be my good jewelry with me on the cruise and wear them on and depending on what I'm doing - off the ship as well.

However, my good jewelry isn't gold and diamonds. And I think that expensive is a relative term. My good jewelry consists of a lot of turquoise and silver and pieces I adore that I've purchased from artists on vacation and at home. I think life's too short to worry too much and I prefer to enjoy my good stuff.

Precious jewels are in the eye of the wearer! I'd have been happy with a plain band when I got married,b/c I was marrying my DH. so gold,diamonds,silver, rubies, whatever. Lets all just wear what we like,what we choose and get along about it.No matter where we've been or where we haven't. :)

On a lighter note ladies...today at Walmart I bought a set of cultured purple pearls,with a pair of small pear stud earrings,and bracelet all for ten bucks! Cheap but not even fakes! So they will be floating with me! our camping trip,not so much. ;)

I have a fairly substantial diamond wedding band, and I don't wear it in ports like Rome and Florence, but I do wear it in most of the other Med. ports. For those ports I leave it in the room safe with the passports and my wallet. They're insured, but I worry more about my personal safety.

• 2 weeks later...

I have very nice pieces, but I am opting to leave them home. I am not doing formal night. I wont be wearing it when I go to the ports, which is 3 days out of my 5 day cruise. I will be working out in the morning on sea days, and then I will most likely be lounging in the pool area with the kids during the day. In the evenings, I just want to be casual with like a nice sun dress, or jersey knit dress.

The only time I might miss it is if I go to the disco at night, and maybe to the shows, but I would prefer not to have to worry about losing it from repetively taking it on and off, or having it stolen.

If you find that you will want to wear it more often than I, then go ahead and enjoy it. Imagine getting dressed up and not having your jewels with you, I know I would miss them.

I also take some good jewelry which I only wear in the evenings, no matter what I wear. During the day, a cheap pair of gold or silver toned earings..Nothing on my neck ever during the day and a simple small wedding bad for ship and or port days. If you have something nice, why not enjoy wearing it? What is it being saved for? There is a safe in each cabin on most cruise ships. Lock it up at the end of the night with whatever cash/credit cards you have and don't worry about it. It'll be fine.

Enjoy cruising AND your jewelry, no matter what kinds.

Let our mistake be a lesson to you. I always carry my diamond necklace and pearls in my carry on bag, which I did on the way to the ship on our cruise last month. The night before the ship arrived back in San Diego when we were told to place our luggage in the hall, without thinking, we placed our carry on luggage there too. When we were reunited with our luggage after leaving the ship we did not think to check our valuables to see if they were there. Tonight was the first occasion I needed to wear jewelry since we returned 2 weeks ago. We now realize that my jewelry was stolen by a Carnival employee who carried the bags from our room, or maybe when they were in the baggage area, as that is the only time they were out of our posession. Live and learn! If I wasn't so sick that last evening from the rocking of the ship I may have been thinking more clearly.

Archived