Vibrations

After much research & loads of help from these forums, I think a Thompson cruise is the one for me and my husband.

This sounds so stupid for someone contemplating a cruise, but......I am not a great sailor! My thoughts were that if the ship is big I would be ok. However, I have read comments about the vibration on Thompson ships. This has now got me worried. I have been told towards the centre and as high as possible is the best place to be. Any comments??

Also, how do you manage packing suits etc for the flight. Do you use suit bags? Sorry, very pathetic question.

We are hoping to for Adriatic Explorer on the 'Spirit'.

Many thanks

All modern cruise ships are fitted with active fin stabilizers which dampen rolling (if this is what you mean by vibration), however pitching cannot be mitigated against and is dependant on the wave frequency and how the captain sets his course. Mechanical vibration on board can come from a number of sources the main ones being the propellers, main enginesand exhaust trunking, thrusters, hydraulic power packs for shell doors and anchors being dropped so being as toward the center ands slightly elevated will remove you from the main sources of mechanical vibration but being too high can actually make the rolling sensation worse. The ship rolls about it’s center of Buoyancy which is somewhere below the water line. When I was at sea the easiest trick is to take some ginger with you and if you feel sick go onto the open deck to get a fixed reference (horizon, followed by a full fry up!:rolleyes:)

Enjoy your cruise.:D

Hi Rivadiva

The vibration is like a trembling which you notice when you are sat.It doesn't make you feel ill.I've done this cruise Adriatyic Explorer twice and never once did I feel any rolling or pitching at all.I didn't know I was at sea.Don't worry is what I am trying to say!

Adraitic Explorer is a superb choice- wonderful ports of call!

Flopsy

Or Thompson cruisers are more honest!

You've hit it spot on.

Unlike some boards on here you do get the truth.

On our cruise on the U.S. ship in June no one mentioned vibration. But when sat up in bed with the back of your head on the wall and even right up in the big lounge at the top of the ship you could feel it. In fact it was worse in the lounge right up on deck 12. And this ship was over 10 years younger than the Thomson ships.

Berwyn

The viabration on the Spirit is not very pronounced only when under full power (rare)

The best deck for first timers is 3 just forward on mid-ships. cabins 492/480 or 491/475 or if offered the 3/4 berth cabins on 6, numbers 236-234-232 other side 231-233-235

Cabins on the higher decks 7/7/8 are mainly for families three and four berths. the lower the number the closer to the bow. (300-206-104-55-01.)

She is quite a steady ship, but any signs of feeling sick just go to Reception and get a tablet. Worst case, see the Doctor for a jab. both will make you fel lots better if feeling bad.

If you want to avoid the vibration the best place to be is forward of midships and perhaps Deck 6 if you can afford it....we have had cabins there twice and never felt any vibration....and we have also booked a cabin here on our forthcoming cruise on Spirit. We felt it the most at the back of the ship and also in the dining room but it did not bother us unduly.....if you think you will feel seasick in rough weather its best to be midships and low down...take some Stugeron with you, available over the counter in Boots., and if rough weather is forecast take one or two straight away and you will be fine.

We did a 3 week Transatlantic cruise in December which was extremely rough and were absolutely fine... just taking the minimum dose to start with and then none at all...I think we got used to it!!

I agree with others the Adriatic itinerary is absolutely superb !!

Regarding the suits...we always pack them in the suitcases....Lay the jacket out and fold in half across it.....I usually put scrunched up bin liners along the folds and down the sleeves of the jacket...then hang in the bathroom in a steamy atmosphere will help any creases fall out. If you take suit carriers I think that is your one allowed piece of hand luggage !!

WOW! Thanks JennyWren, Cymro & Tenpin (for the cabin advice).

Will probably book tomorrow. After much wheeling and dealing have found Thomas Cook have given me the best deal. £50 cheaper than Thomson online. May pay for a couple of drinks.

Thanks again

I have been on the Celebration and Spirit and the famous 'vibration' is in fact more like a sort of 'wobble' caused by the engine room arrangements. It continues when in port as the generator runs constantly. I hardly notice it anymore and a lot of people keep coming back for more cruises. I agree that it is a good investment to pay the small supplement and book a cabin amidships or forward.

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised with Thompson (Spirit) last year which I speak about in another forum. The vibration on this ship was a concern for many, and some I spoke to even tried to change their cabin - with limited success. I have to say that, for us at least, it didn't spoil our holiday. Nevertheless, the vibration was a real issue, even comical, which could never be avoided - it vibraqted all the time. It was pure luck if your cabin was affected or not - ours was not.

I could not recommend a cruise with Thompsons until they cure this problem, which is highly unlikely for as I understand from others, it is a problem relating to a diesel engine - one which spews great quantities of soot over the pool deck - a problem addressed by the crew each evening when all pools would be emptied and re-filled!

For myself, I shall save a little harder next time and sail with a newer ship.

Regarding the suits...we always pack them in the suitcases....Lay the jacket out and fold in half across it.....I usually put scrunched up bin liners along the folds and down the sleeves of the jacket...then hang in the bathroom in a steamy atmosphere will help any creases fall out. If you take suit carriers I think that is your one allowed piece of hand luggage !!

Nice tip Jenny Wren - thankyou - I know about the steamy atmosphere, but hadnt thought of the bin liners - will remember that one !

Anyone been on deck 7 anywhere near 113 on Celebration ? Any good ? Vibration felt ? Can the beds be moved to doubles ?

having just returned from a week on the celebration which is also supposed to have this problem i can assure you nobody at all complained and we did not find it a problem at all

I'm going on Celebration soon I don't think it will bother me.... West Midland buses are the same so i'm used to it I use 4 most days :D

Archived