NEED HELP-Seattle to Vancouver

teacherman

We will be cruising out of Vancouver this September, but it is easier, and less costly, for us to fly into Seattle. We understand there is a train (early morning) that can take us to Vancouver, OR Amtrak also list busses at several times later in the day, OR we can rent a car for one way and drop it in Vancouver. If any of you that have done this would share some information, we would be very grateful. We plan to arrive in Seattle on Monday and our cruise leaves Vancouver on Wednesday. We will be staying in Vancouver 2 days post-cruise. If we do the train, what is a decent hotel to stay at near the station in Seattle? What time should we be at the station? Any information or advice is most welcome. Thank you.

We, too, are flying into Seattle and then taking the Amtrak train into Vancouver the next morning. The reason we chose to do this was because the air fare into Seattle was less expensive than Vancouver and because we did not want to rent a car and have to hassle with crossing the border and then having to spend time returning the car. The train leaves Seattle at 7:40 a.m. and arrives in Vancouver at 11:40 a.m. It is just a quick taxi ride from your Seattle hotel to the train station. You can get breakfast on the train; everyone can watch the scenery and not have to worry about driving. You can stretch your legs. I understand the customs at the train station are easier to deal with than it would be either driving or flying into Vancouver. After gathering your luggage you can get a taxi right outside the train station directly to the ship. We hope to board by around 1:00 p.m. and then have lunch and leisurely explore the ship prior to departing at 5:45 p.m. It just seems like much less hassle to us.

I have done both options. The shuttle/bus is about 3 to 3-1/2 hours and is very comfortable -- more of a motor coach than a regular bus. The bus will stop at the border and you may or may not be asked to get off. It runs multiple times a day and picks up at various locations including the airport.

The Amtrak train is a wonderful experience if you have the time. You can buy your tickets online in advance. It leaves Seattle at 7:40 am (I think) and takes between 3 and 4 hours to get to Vancouver. The view is outstanding, and I would suggest 1st class seating. When I did it a couple of years ago it was $25 per person and well worth it. More spacious seating -- two seats in 1st class in the same space as three seats in Coach class. Very big windows, easy viewing from any seat. There is a dining car for breakfast and/or snacks. You will see eagles, coastline, some very quaint stations along the way. I loved it.

Depends on what experience you are after. Both options are fine, it's just personal choice. Hope I was helpful!

That's exactly what we did last August (take the train). We loved the scenic train ride--it was beautiful! If you want to pick your choice of seats you need to get to the train station by 6:30 am or so. There were 4 of us and we wanted to sit together on the side facing the water--so we got there early to be among the first on line. You have to go to one line to get your tickets (unless you already have them) another line to check your luggage and finally a 3rd line to pick your seats On the return trip we used Quick Coach since they picked us up at the pier and delivered us directly to SeaTac. Have a great trip!

So, the train sounds like a good experience. Do you check all of your luggage, like at the airport? Is there a charge to check luggage? Does it come off the train on a carousel (or something) like at the airport? Are stations in Seattle and Vancouver near the main downtown area? We will probably fly in on Monday, stay in Seattle that night, take train up on Tuesday, stay in Vancouver that night, board for cruise on Wednesday. Does this sound like an okay plan?? Thanks for all the information.

The train station is about a $10.00 cab fare to the main downtown hotel area - if you don't have to much luggage you could also take our rapid transit from the train station to the downtown core - it's only four stops from the train station to the end of the line at Waterfront station and costs all of $2.50 per person and runs every few minutes.

Once you decide on your hotel let us know and we can let you know which station to get off on.

Taxis are usually waiting outside so you shouldn't have much of a wait.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes you can check in luggage, as well as take a carry on bag with you onto the train.

I don't remember a carousel, I remember it being more of a series of carts that you grab your bags off of.

Your plan sounds like it would be very reasonable. It doesn't leave much time for seeing each city, but then again there is so much to see in each city.

Any of the downtown hotels are going to be close to the train station just because downtown Seattle isn't really that big.

The one that comes to mind as being the closest would be the Silver Cloud Inn - Stadium. It's located on the opposite side of Qwest Field (Football/Soccer stadium) and across the street from Safeco Field (baseball stadium).

Depending on how much luggage you're bringing with you, you might want to take advantage of the new light rail option from the airport in seattle into downtown. $2.50 per person from the airport to downtown is tough to beat.

If you book the train business class (which is maybe around $14 more pp one-way between Portland, OR & Seattle and I would expect Vancouver-Seattle to be similar), you can get your seat assignment ahead of time, rather than standing in line at the train station. I believe there is also an attendant in that car and perhaps beverages, snacks? (I'm not sure on the last.) Plus more comfortable seats and preferred (early) boarding. Well worth it, IMHO.

Definitely recommend either the train or coach bus -- border crossings can mean lengthy waits, particularly in a private/rental car -- although we have waited in line on a bus, I had the feeling it was not as lengthy as for private cars.

If you book the train business class (which is maybe around $14 more pp one-way between Portland, OR & Seattle and I would expect Vancouver-Seattle to be similar), you can get your seat assignment ahead of time, rather than standing in line at the train station. I believe there is also an attendant in that car and perhaps beverages, snacks? (I'm not sure on the last.) Plus more comfortable seats and preferred (early) boarding. Well worth it, IMHO.

Definitely recommend either the train or coach bus -- border crossings can mean lengthy waits, particularly in a private/rental car -- although we have waited in line on a bus, I had the feeling it was not as lengthy as for private cars.

Business class is a very affordable upgrade. It includes a $3 snack car coupon, so you can get yourself a drink or discount on a snack/meal. Bigger, wider seats with less people per car for a quieter ride.

You can get to the station later to pick up your seating assignment and board the train earlier but best yet, you are first in line for customs in Vancouver!

Business class is a very affordable upgrade. It includes a $3 snack car coupon, so you can get yourself a drink or discount on a snack/meal. Bigger, wider seats with less people per car for a quieter ride.

You can get to the station later to pick up your seating assignment and board the train earlier but best yet, you are first in line for customs in Vancouver!

All good info so far. If you want to try light rail from Seatac to Amtrak the station is only two blocks away. Its signage isn't very good but its not far if you know where your going. You take lite rail from International district station. We do not have a 'waterfront' station, that is in Vancouver. Look on Seattle tripadvisor for lots of basin info on right side under FAQ's

We will be cruising out of Vancouver this September, but it is easier, and less costly, for us to fly into Seattle. We understand there is a train (early morning) that can take us to Vancouver, OR Amtrak also list busses at several times later in the day, OR we can rent a car for one way and drop it in Vancouver. If any of you that have done this would share some information, we would be very grateful. We plan to arrive in Seattle on Monday and our cruise leaves Vancouver on Wednesday. We will be staying in Vancouver 2 days post-cruise. If we do the train, what is a decent hotel to stay at near the station in Seattle? What time should we be at the station? Any information or advice is most welcome. Thank you.

We used a Shuttle last year.................sorry..........think the name was Quickcoach or something like that. It's right outside the doors. We made reservations online and if you're "old" you get a discount besides. It was WONDERFUL................huge, comfortable tour bus.............it drops at several places in Vancouver AND when you disembark it is INSIDE Canada Place so it's the first thing you come to! You get off the ship, walk into the area and the bus is waiting for you. It then drops you at the correct gate for your flight. Funny thing, we went up the day before and there were only FOUR of us on the bus!

• 5 months later...

We are taking the Amtrak Train to Seattle and then on to Vancouver by Amtrak bus. I assume that the bus stops at the same station in Vancouver as the train (Pacific Central Station)?

The bus gets to Vancouver at 12:20 am, will there likely be taxis availble at the station as that hour?

When we took the train from Seattle to Vancouver, they were actually weighing the luggage and many people had to repack right in the middle of the station so be sure to weigh your bags ahead...

and there's nothing to eat in the station...there are a couple things outside but they may not be open when you get there, so snag something in the hotel or bring some granola bars if you're hungry...(to hold you til you get on the train)....

THere should be cabs when ever the bus/train arrives....

The Seattle Amtrak station isn't in the best of areas when it is dark...so just keep that in mind when you arrive ... we actually got there shortly before the station opened and there were about 10 people in line....

The train ride was wonderful......enjoy!

We are taking the Amtrak Train to Seattle and then on to Vancouver by Amtrak bus. I assume that the bus stops at the same station in Vancouver as the train (Pacific Central Station)?

The bus gets to Vancouver at 12:20 am, will there likely be taxis availble at the station as that hour?

Left you a reply on your other post.:)

Mark and Mary, why don't you spend the night in Seattle and continue with the Amtrak train to Vancouver the next morning? It leaves around 7:30 am (be there earlier) and arrives in Vancouver around noon or 12:30. It sounds a whole lot better than arriving there at midnight!

I agree. I'm in Vancouver for a few days and the train avoids the waits at the border, however the bus is very very efficient. When you take the Amtrak bus you can request a stop in Richmond near the airport where there are many hotels much less expensive than staying downtown. Its easy to then take Canada Line into downtown Vancouver. That may be an option for you.

• 2 months later...
Mark and Mary, why don't you spend the night in Seattle and continue with the Amtrak train to Vancouver the next morning? It leaves around 7:30 am (be there earlier) and arrives in Vancouver around noon or 12:30. It sounds a whole lot better than arriving there at midnight!

That is a great idea except we have a non-refundable reservation at a hotel in Vancouver. I wish Amtrak would have communicated this option to us when we booked. Oh well, it will give us more time in Vancouver. We have spent a lot of time in Seattle and loved every minute of it but not much in Vancouver.

That is a great idea except we have a non-refundable reservation at a hotel in Vancouver. I wish Amtrak would have communicated this option to us when we booked. Oh well, it will give us more time in Vancouver. We have spent a lot of time in Seattle and loved every minute of it but not much in Vancouver.

Vancouver is a great city and I am sure that you will have a wonderful time here.:)

I agree. I'm in Vancouver for a few days and the train avoids the waits at the border, however the bus is very very efficient. When you take the Amtrak bus you can request a stop in Richmond near the airport where there are many hotels much less expensive than staying downtown. Its easy to then take Canada Line into downtown Vancouver. That may be an option for you.

I'd caution people on taking Amtrak. I've done these repositioning cruises using amtrak and to be honest, I'm a bit fed up with it. Reasons:

For cruisers going from Seattle to Vancouver, if you take the train back to seattle, you generally have to wait all day long (train leaves at 5:45pm). Vancouver is a great city, but when you get the boot off the ship at 8-9am and even just have a backpack, its a long day to walk around vancouver, supposed you could find an earlier amtrak bus back?? Also, it takes a good 4 hrs to get back to Seattle (get in around 10pm). You go through security and customs in Canada and then stop at the border for 10-20 mins while security walks throuhg the train, not a big deal, and probalby better than the bus at the border.

For cruisers going from vancouver to seattle, the train is a bit obnoxious here (the times i've taken it anyways). The train leaves early in the morning to get you there right when they open up boarding on the ship which is a nice plus, but the downside is when you get to the Vancouver train station, you will be in a "caged in" platform area and customs officials will unload 1 car at a time, meaning if you are in the back of the train, you could wait up to an hour to get off. I'd equate it to sitting on an airplane waiting for an hour for the jetway to be positioned. It's more aggrivating than it may sound because you cant see whats going on ahead of you (everyone must stay in their car) and not many annoucnements are made. Coincidentally, I think the train arrives when many of the border agents are taking a lunch or something.

Just a warning, will be trying quick shuttle this weekend...

By way of a "heads up" if nothing changes it is entirely likely that the afternoon train northbound and the morning train southbound will not operate after October 31st. The Canadian Customs is taking the position that they have to send a special crew to clear the train and they don't have the budget to do this. In the meantime improvements continue to be made to the customs facilities at the train station. My guess is that customs is positioning to have a fee collected by Amtrak from each pax much like airlines do and it will be business as usual but stay tuned.

If you take business class as an upgrade you will unload and board first. That alone is worth the $11. As of oct 31st the 2nd train may end due to Canada wanting $500k a yr to pay for border personell to go to train.

True dat. But the 2nd train isn't really relavent to cruisers staying in Seattle wanting to get on a ship in Vancouver as it is an evening train. You gotta take the first train to make it in time.

By way of a "heads up" if nothing changes it is entirely likely that the afternoon train northbound and the morning train southbound will not operate after October 31st. The Canadian Customs is taking the position that they have to send a special crew to clear the train and they don't have the budget to do this. In the meantime improvements continue to be made to the customs facilities at the train station. My guess is that customs is positioning to have a fee collected by Amtrak from each pax much like airlines do and it will be business as usual but stay tuned.

I'm not sure why the Canadians haven't just taken a page out of the American's play-book and charge everyone $25 as an immigration/agriculture inspection fee, like they do with all flights entering the USA.

Archived