deposit on ship

db777

I received clarification on this from Travelex. Can't speak for other policies, but for them no it doesn't. They consider the deposit official once you use it to book a cruise. So if you make the deposit for a "phantom" cruise at a later date, the clock isn't running. Once you have HAL or your TA apply that deposit to a specific cruise, that's when the deposit is considered to have been made.

What Jim posted is correct if you purchase a future cruise credit, but did not book a specific cruise.

If you do book a specific cruise while you are on board, however, you do have to purchase your (non-HAL) insurance within 14-21 days (depending on company) if you want pre-existing conditions covered.

If you are on a longer cruise, and won't be home before the 14-21 day period ends, ask the Future Cruise Consultant to hold back submitting the booking until nearer the end of the cruise. This will buy you some time to get your insurance after you get home.

If you are on a longer cruise, and won't be home before the 14-21 day period ends, ask the Future Cruise Consultant to hold back submitting the booking until nearer the end of the cruise. This will buy you some time to get your insurance after you get home.

We were in this situation on a cruise Dec 11 to 21 when I wanted to book a specific cruise, but didn't want to have to deal with getting insurance until after Christmas. I contacted my TA (AAA) by email from the ship, and he told me that the 10 day (or whatever) period for their insurance starts when they invoice HAL, not when the deposit is placed. All he had to do was delay that until I was ready!

So db777: ask you TA what their practice is, or how it could be handled for you. :)

I received clarification on this from Travelex. Can't speak for other policies, but for them no it doesn't. They consider the deposit official once you use it to book a cruise. So if you make the deposit for a "phantom" cruise at a later date, the clock isn't running. Once you have HAL or your TA apply that deposit to a specific cruise, that's when the deposit is considered to have been made.

The same is true with Travel Guard ... the deposit on a to-be-determined cruise is considered an option, and the clock starts when you exercise the option and book a specific sailing.

What Jim posted is correct if you purchase a future cruise credit, but did not book a specific cruise.

If you do book a specific cruise while you are on board, however, you do have to purchase your (non-HAL) insurance within 14-21 days (depending on company) if you want pre-existing conditions covered.

Travelex also has a policy that covers pre-exisiting conditons if purchased within 30 days of the initial deposit.

If you purchase HAL insurance the full amount is due at the time of putting down the deposit. Wheather you pick a particular cruise or not.

That wasn't my experience. When it was a Future Cruise Credit insurance due when you pick the cruise. How would they know what to bill you if you haven't chosen a stateroom?

...really don't need pre existing condition issues... DB
Please keep in mind that this pre-ex provision looks back (60-180 days, depending on the policy) from the effective date of the insurance. (When you purchase it.) I think many folks think that since they have no health issues today they're okay and won't need pre-ex coverage. But if something that could cause you to cancel your trip is diagnosed or you received new treatment for right before you purchase the insurance, then it would be excluded from coverage.

Please keep in mind that this pre-ex provision looks back (60-180 days, depending on the policy) from the effective date of the insurance. (When you purchase it.) I think many folks think that since they have no health issues today they're okay and won't need pre-ex coverage. But if something that could cause you to cancel your trip is diagnosed or you received new treatment for right before you purchase the insurance, then it would be excluded from coverage.

And, for many policies, it isn't just the pre-ex of the actual travelers to be considered. I believe the waiver also applies to immediate family members ... those people not traveling with you, but whose medical condition/emergency might prompt the actual travelers to interrupt or cancel their travels.

Archived