Options for day trips from Athens?

shertz1981

I've been reading up on the super informative posts people have made about side trips from Athens.

Fiance and I are going to be there on August 26th -- this is at the end of our RSSC cruise from Venice, and we will have gone to Budapest and Prague before the cruise, so it's at the end of a long trip. We're planning to be in Athens for the 26th, 27th and 28th, flying home on the 29th.

Fiance wanted to go to Delphi, but it seems like a lot of driving ... if we wanted to do an out-of-the-city day trip, I think we'd be better off in Corinth, right? Is there anywhere else we could go?

Thanks for your help!

The train station is only 15 mins walk so have a good look at a map! and the best way to buy a ticket is at the station €2 for one hour ticket then do the same on your way back:) Budapest is fab ,but if you have time try a train trip to Lake Balaton takes about an hour but so different 77k thermal lake. a few photo's for you. (well I hope )

1599054080_Hungary2007457.jpg.c4f573b937802e2a149d54807c949432.jpg

Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidavros (Epidauros) can be combined for one very full day of sightseeing out of Athens.

Cape Sounion is a more relaxing half-day trip to the ruined temple of Poseidon and some nice views.

How far is Delphi? I know quite a few people who've done it from Athens so it must not be all that far....?

Delphi is definitely worth it, but I'm not sure I'd do it as a day trip from Athens. Google maps claims it's a 4 hour drive, one way.

Epidavros is wonderful as well, as is nearby Mycenae.

Any chance of an overnight, circle trip encompassing the above?

Another fun day trip would be to one of the Saronic islands, by fast ferry. Aegina is the closest.

Sounds like a heavenly honeymoon! Don't know if you have been to Athens...but let me add my opionio! I would...

Spend first day in Athens...see sites...I think best way is the Athens Walking Tour..it is wonderful. Also see National Museum and Plaka, old city. If the metro is near your hotel, feel comfortable using it.

On second day you could choose day trip to either Delphi, and go by Thermopyles (The 300)...it is a beautiful drive. Or you could go south for a day trip and see Cornith, Mycenae and Nauplion. I personally enjoyed that one the most, due to the history. Either day trip is wonderful.

That would give you your last day to see more of Athens and rest before that long trip home.

I definitely recommend the Athens Walking Tour; we stayed at the Athens Gate Hotel...near the Plaka and metro...and has a beautiful view of the Acropolis from the rooftop lounge. For the day trips, we used and I highly recommend Dennis Kokottos. We also used his service for port/hotel/airport pickup. He arranged for guides at the sites, which I strongly suggest. The guides are so good...they make the sites come to life!

Hope this has helped. Enjoy.

I've been reading up on the super informative posts people have made about side trips from Athens. Fiance and I are going to be there on August 26th -- this is at the end of our RSSC cruise from Venice, and we will have gone to Budapest and Prague before the cruise, so it's at the end of a long trip. We're planning to be in Athens for the 26th, 27th and 28th, flying home on the 29th. Fiance wanted to go to Delphi, but it seems like a lot of driving ... if we wanted to do an out-of-the-city day trip, I think we'd be better off in Corinth, right? Is there anywhere else we could go?

Thanks for your help!

Sound great that you are doing Prague, Budapest, etc. We debated between Delphi and the Peloponnesian Peninsula!!! Not an easy choice as both are great. Delphi had interesting history, but seemed to us to be mainly "one experience", while what we did offered more variety, a wider range of history, etc. Below are some visual highlights for what we saw, loved and experienced.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The Corinth Canal is nearby and is a unique engineering job carved through about 260' of rock. The canal is four miles in length, 75' wide and was built between 1881 and 1893:

CorinthCanal.jpg

Corinth's temple columns with the mountains overlooking the town in the background:

CorinthHills.jpg

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Examples of Mycene gold:

MyceneGold.jpg

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor:

Nap.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

A common day trip from Athens is to go through Corinth to the Peleponessus visiting Mycenae (citadel of Agamemnon from which he dispatched the Greeks to Troy to rescue Helen) and Epidaurus (site of a marvelous and wonderfully preserved theater.) We did this trip from the port of Nafplion but it would be essentially the same. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Delphi is quite a long ride from Athens, and there is a lot to do there. I would sincerely recommend you plan an overnight trip. We had a marvelous time at Delphi and visited the Lion of Cheironeia on the way back. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea3.html

Our driver was Nick from Greek Taxi and he was amazing. It would be very well worth your while to book both of these trips with Greek Taxi.

Have a GREAT cruise!

And I came here looking for an answer to the same question.

My husband wants to do Delphi but I too think it is too much for a one day trip.

Thanks, TLCOhio, for posting your photos. I think we'll do the Peloponnesian Peninsula.

And travelgran, do you have a link for the Athens Walking Tour? Thanks

And I came here looking for an answer to the same question. My husband wants to do Delphi but I too think it is too much for a one day trip. Thanks, TLCOhio, for posting your photos. I think we'll do the Peloponnesian Peninsula. And travelgran, do you have a link for the Athens Walking Tour? Thanks

THANKS, Diane, for the nice comments on the pictures! Glad we're helpful. You can do a long day-trip from Athens, but . . . it depends on what you're doing the day after. Some long, long trips can be tiring and challenging on the "body & brain" as you try to do things the next day. Below are a few more examples for your what enjoy in Corinith, etc.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Historic Roman ruins in Corinth:

CorinthRuins.jpg

Ruins of the Roman baths in Corinth:

CorinthRuins2.jpg

Here is an example of the country landscape nearby to Corinth:

PelPenLandscape.jpg

Example of Mycene gold in the museum at this historic site:

MyceneGold.jpg

In Nafplion, there is this small fort out in the harbor:

NapIslandFort.jpg

Epidaurus has totally amazing acoustic properties. It is located on the Peloponnesos Peninsula:

Gr.jpg

Hi.....check out www.athenswalkingtours.com

Our guide, Vicki, was wonderful....we went from Syntagma Square to the Acoropolis.....their guides are qualified to take you into the Acropolis....it was amazing!! Our driver, Dennis, arranged for qualified guides at the other sites. All of our guides were A+++++

Seems like we all vote for you to "go south" to the Pelops! While it would be nice to do that trip in 2 days, you will see an awful lot during the 1 day tour. Greece is a country where you could spend months and still not want to leave!

And....the photos are awesome!

Seems like we all vote for you to "go south" to the Pelops! While it would be nice to do that trip in 2 days, you will see an awful lot during the 1 day tour. Greece is a country where you could spend months and still not want to leave! And....the photos are awesome!

THANKS for the nice comment on the photos! "Awesome!" is a nice phrase to read and it is appreciated. Agree that going south route gave us a nice mix and wide variety of history, architecture, countrysides, culture, waterside, religion, etc., all in only a one-day period. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In 1972, my wife and I did the trip from Athens to Delphi and back on a public bus; it was great fun (the locals on board, fascinated that two Americans would do this, shared wine and snacks with us, and showed us what to order when we stopped at a roadside stand for lunch (no one, including the driver, spoke English), but it was a long day. It was worth it in part for the experience of getting away from tour buses and groups and being herded through souvenir shops, and Delphi itself was fascinating. By the way, if there are any medical people reading this thread, behind the theater at Epidaurus are the ruins of the temple of Asklepius, the healer god of the ancient Greeks. The prosperity brought by the Asklepieion enabled Epidaurus to construct civic monuments like the theater. If you go in the summer, the theater is still used, though since the productions are in Greek this may be of limited interest to most tourists. The Herod Atticus (Roman) theater in Athens is also still used for productions, with the same caveat.

Photos ARE awesome....Thank you!

Wow, thank you all so much for the helpful comments and the FABULOUS pictures! I think heading south is the right way to go, too -- now to convince my fiance that this will be as much fun as Delphi ...

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Below are a few more from our trip around the Peloponnesian Peninsula. It's a wonderful and nice area with so much great history and sights and sites. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

As we circled the Peloponnesian Peninsula, this was one of the beautiful coastal views we enjoyed:

PelPenCoastal.jpg

In Corinth, this is the view of the Temple built by the Romans in this key city on the Peloponnesian Peninsula:

PelPenCorTemple.jpg

At Nafplion, this is a closer view of the fortress in its harbor:

PelPenNapFortress.jpg

For a Mycene ruler, this was his burial place with its space for a carved triangle:

PelPenMyBurial.jpg

The “triangle” is the symbol for the Mycene empire. This carved stone is placed above where you enter its historic capital:

PelPenTriangleMy.jpg

In the Peloponnesian Peninsula, you can enjoy many countryside views, including of this goat watching over the charming area:

PelPenGoat.jpg

We agree with the others that Delphi is worth the trip. One other day trip would be to take a boat from Pireaus to Aegina which is the closest major island to Athens (about 17 miles). This island is famous for its Pistachio nuts and there is even a beach within walking distance to the ferry pier.

Hank

Our driver was Nick from Greek Taxi and he was amazing. It would be very well worth your while to book both of these trips with Greek Taxi.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We used Paul of Greek Taxi when in Athens for both Airport and Cruise transfers and some touring including Cape Sounion. If you want to cap off your honeymoon - be there to see the sunset - you will totally get why they built the Temple of Posiedon there - it is magnificent!

Enjoy!

Archived