Just a Thought

bilyclub

Ever since the whole RCI going to Haiti while people are suffering thing started and the mention of Cruise Critic in most of the articles. It seems to me that a lot of new posters that have just signed up this week are causing some havoc on this board. Perhaps the unwanted attention has brought us the wrath of the politically correct internet police. We are dammed for loving, sunshine, ships, and beaches.

Ever since the whole RCI going to Haiti while people are suffering thing started and the mention of Cruise Critic in most of the articles. It seems to me that a lot of new posters that have just signed up this week are causing some havoc on this board. Perhaps the unwanted attention has brought us the wrath of the politically correct internet police. We are dammed for loving, sunshine, ships, and beaches.

"Let them eat cake!"

and no matter what RCI decides to do, there are always going to be people unhappy with the decision.

The media eats this stuff right up because sadly, it's no longer about reporting the news, but all about gaining viewership/readership with controversial headlines. It's more important to keep the sponsors happy.

I was actually contacted by cc that someone from AP wanted to interview me about my opinions based on my posts about Haiti on here. I decided not to for a couple of reasons, but there is a lot of media interest. Unfortunately, the media seems to be taking the opposite view of the majority of cc members.

I find it interesting that up until the earthquake, nobody had a problem with Royal Caribbean going to Haiti. There was suffering in that country long before the earthquake came. I was there in 2006 and listened to one of the RC employees tell us how the average yearly income in Haiti is $200. Noboby complained then and said that a cruise ship shouldn't be there. I understand that the devastation is insurmountable, but stopping the ships from going there will do nothing but hurt their already fragile economy.

There is suffering and tragedy almost everywhere, at some point in time. Ok--you can't bear going to Labadee while there are folks suffering there, but you don't mind going to Grand Caymen, or Vegas, or wherever.....makes no sense!

The world, and life, is violent! There is no "peace on earth"....ever!

Archived