To lock your luggage or not

goingsailing

That being said, I lock my checked luggage as well. Not as much for security as making sure the zippers don't accidentally unzip en route.

I use cable ties, for much the same reason. It keeps the zippers closed, and then, unlike the locks, I can tell if my luggage has been opened. (Never has been so far.)

I use cable ties, for much the same reason. It keeps the zippers closed, and then, unlike the locks, I can tell if my luggage has been opened. (Never has been so far.)

I use the cable ties too. Neon colored ones, which are a bit harder to replace in a pinch if someone does cut them for nefarious reasons and wants to pretend it wasn't tampered with. Just me, but I'd sort of like to know if someone is pawing through my things.

Edited by luvmytbear

[quote=scchasgal;22808661]Has this question come up because of Carnival's changes this week?

No, it's just that I always wonder after handing over my luggage to the porters if I should have locked our luggage or not.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. The cable ties are a very good idea, I think we will use these in April.

To Luvmybear; I don't put any thing of value in our luggage, and like everyone else I carry it on the ship or plane. I was just wondering how the cruise lines feel about this and what others have done. Plus, I just don't want someone to have the temptation of looking through our bags.

[quote=scchasgal;22808661]Has this question come up because of Carnival's changes this week?

No, it's just that I always wonder after handing over my luggage to the porters if I should have locked our luggage or not.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. The cable ties are a very good idea, I think we will use these in April.

To Luvmybear; I don't put any thing of value in our luggage, and like everyone else I carry it on the ship or plane. I was just wondering how the cruise lines feel about this and what others have done. Plus, I just don't want someone to have the temptation of looking through our bags.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I completely understand the question of whether to lock or not. The question of checking valuables was more directed at those who state they have had valuables stolen from checked luggage. I couldn't imagine checking anything valuable and putting it out of my sight in the hands of strangers. :)

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I completely understand the question of whether to lock or not. The question of checking valuables was more directed at those who state they have had valuables stolen from checked luggage. I couldn't imagine checking anything valuable and putting it out of my sight in the hands of strangers. :)

BUT--as others have said --(here and on Carnival thread)--things in checked luggage can be "valuable" to the person (it is subjective and varies)...favorite blouse,expensive shoes, makeup, a child's stuffed animal, whatever...I would be upset if anything happened to my luggage--theft or loss,etc....I can't possibly put everything of "value" in my carry on....

BUT--as others have said --(here and on Carnival thread)--things in checked luggage can be "valuable" to the person (it is subjective and varies)...favorite blouse,expensive shoes, makeup, a child's stuffed animal, whatever...I would be upset if anything happened to my luggage--theft or loss,etc....I can't possibly put everything of "value" in my carry on....

I totally agree that value can be subjective, and like I stated earlier, I most certainly do not want anyone pawing through my things or to lose my things...even if it is only underwear.

When I say of value, I'm talking jewelry, cameras, phones, mp3 players, Nintendo DS, etc....things that actually would be worth stealing and reselling (as awful as that sounds). I don't think anyone is going to risk a theft charge just to steal a stuffed toy but may risk it to resell a diamond ring or a camera that is worth money.

We use cable ties, brightly colored ones, and I usually have an extra bunch in my carry-on. I never put anything of any real value in my checked baggage, and if I fly, I always put the electronic stuff, like chargers, flashlights, etc on top. So many times I've buried them deep within other items to find that TSA rifled thru my stuff to find these suspicious looking items. Altho they always put everything back and always include the "letter" stating that they opened it, they never put things back the way I had it packed, Since I've been putting the stuff on top where it is readily accessible to those who may want to examine it, I haven't had any problems.

Another trick is to have a nail clipper in your carry-on. It cuts off the tie perfectly, and no worries about getting caught with a scissor.

I lock mine with a cheap TSA approved lock. It doesn't make my bag thief proof, but it does make the unlocked bag next to it more attractive to the thief.

It don't care what the cruise lines prefer. The security droids can either use a TSA master key to open the lock, cut it off or call me. After years of using the locks I have never been called and only had one lock cut off (not by a cruise line).

I also use the TSA approved locks cruising or flying...don't want my unmentionables spilling out at the port or airport...LOL Last flight to Florida there was a note inside my suitcase telling me that it had been searched and then relocked so I know they do work!

Absolutely lock your suitcase. My sister-in-law didn't lock her suitcase on her last RCCL cruise out of San Pedro and all of her jewelry was stolen. And, lock or no lock, I would hope that everyone has more sense than to put something valuable in a suitcase that does not stay in your possession!

NEVER-EVER put valuables in your suitcase. Always carry them on.

I use the TSA locks.

As I said over on the Carnival thread, if the cruise line wants/needs in my luggage, they should have a TSA key to open the locks.

Everyone that has a ball point pen has the master key to open a TSA lock.

Check out the following link.

Everyone that has a ball point pen has the master key to open a TSA lock.

Check out the following link.

Then the cruise line has what they need to get into my bag if needed :D, and the lock may deter the thief who prefers less bother and go to an unlocked bag.

I have a couple of suggestions.

Anyone who wants to lock their luggage should lock it.

Anyone who doen;t want to lock their luggage shouldn't lock it. If you don't lock your luggage, please try and place it near mine so that yours is a more attractive target than mine.

• 5 years later...
I know this is an old thread, and I'm looking what I think is a somewhat old NCL brochure online, but it says you should lock your luggage.

Have they changed their recommendation or rule on that?[/

Old thread is an understatement. Last reply almost 6 years ago![emoji50]