Am I the only one who gets an Interior room?

jonnyc020385

I don't really see the difference between an ocean view and an interior except the natural light and to tell you the truth I prefer the darkness but there is a huge difference between a balcony and an interior. JMO but a balcony is so much nicer. A suite is great but I personally can't generally afford them on a longer cruise which I prefer. But to have a balcony is very nice.

Agreed, IMO the only advantage of an oceanview over an inside is that you know if it's daytime when you wake up. What you can do is just tune your TV to the outside camera channel and treat it like a the port hole/window. Balconies are like having an additional room.

I guess I think about it this way: does a view matter when I'm at a land based hotel. Sometimes, the answer is no, like if I'm at an airport hotel. Other times, the answer for me is yes. For example, when in Paris or at a beach front hotel.

Others might not care about those views. If you could care less about having a room with a view on land, don't worry about it at sea. Most ports, even in Europe, are not in the city center. You're normally at an industrial ports outside of town. There are some pretty views when sailing, but you can always head out on deck or find a window in acommon area.

One final note, I don't know how long your first cruise was, but it looks like the Med. is a longer one. You will probably spend more time in your cabin on a longer cruise.

Hope this helps!:)

an inside is often 4x less expensive than a balcony cabin.

Therefore, I can go on 4 cruises for the price of 1 cruise in a balcony!

For us getting a suite was more the case of, "Well, damn, we can't go on 4 cruises a year anyway with only 4 weeks vacation per year (due to other committments etc) so might as well spend the extra money on a suite"

Now if I could find the extra vacation time to go 4 times a year I would take the inside four times over the balcony or suite any day. We were only ever in the suite to sleep.

We always get an inside room...much more affordable. I'd rather cruise twice as often in an inside room.

And I would rather cruise less often in a suite. Isn't it wonderful we have so many options.

I would be hard pressed to cruise in an inside. I am very claustrophobic. And portholes are not an option.

I doubt I would cruise in an outside. There was the 14 day cruise my mom got sick and I would have given my right arm for a space to be alone and close my eyes without Vick's Vaporub and her caughing. Love my mom but that trip was rough!

The mini suite was ok, but since I do travel with my mom, and we each wanted "our own space" it felt like I had an inside and she had a balcony (when we closed the curtain).

So our last cruise we tried the AC on the Sun and loved it. I took the bedroom and she took the living room. (She liked the bigger TV.). We each had our own door to the balcony and bathroom, our own tv and own closet. It really met our needs. Can't see us settling for less.

Now if I went on a cruise with a man I was involved with, I might not mind being more "cozy". Haha.

I like "inside" and "low down".

Inside is dark...better for sleeping.

Low down is less motion...in case the weather is bad.

We had a balcony once....it was chilly and damp...so we didn't use it.

We don't spend much time in the room....and we can always look at the ocean when on the deck.

It's not that I can't afford a balcony (or a suite for that matter)...it's just that I don't see the point for one, at least not for me & my husband.

You go to the same ports and get the same food...

I can see lots of reasons why other people would want a view or a balcony...but I prefer using the price difference towards a nice piece of jewelry!

an inside cabin would not bother me at all but I have to say I really enjoyed sitting on my balcony every morning in my robe. I also enjoyed watching us pull into the ports every morning. I would never be able to afford a suite but the balcony was worth the extra money IMO

I just go with what I can happen to afford on a sailing, if that is an IS that is what I will take. We were happy with our Sept sailing on the price of a balcony so we took that, however I am looking at a cruise on Royal for May and we can only swing the cost of the IS. My TA on Disney next year is also in an inside cabin. I have booked IS, OV, Balcony and suites, I go with what I can afford.

In 7 cruises we've sailed in 5 inside cabins (I)*, 1 ocean view cabin (OV)*, and 1 balcony cabin (B)*.

* each cruise in my signature shows which cabin category we stayed in.

The first cruise in an inside cabin was rough for me because I couldn't get used to the time due to lack of light from outside. Had a hard time getting going in the morning. Hasn't been a problem in subsequent inside cabin cruises.

The ocean view was nice...but got to my stomach occasionally because of seeing the waves so up close due to the deck level we were on.

The balcony was very nice since we could go outside and watch the tenders load and unload, sail back and forth to the ship, watch the boats and other ships moving around the port, the happenings on land, sit outside while pulling into port or leaving port. We didn't sit outside very much because it got a bit cool at times. I booked the balcony because I felt guilty about not getting a cabin with a window or balcony on our first cruise, which it turned out a member of our party could have benefitted from. Had I known then what I know now.... So I decided the person sailing with us might like the balcony this time, which she did :). Also the slightly larger cabin size and bedding situation worked better for us.

I like all of them - inside, ocean view, and balcony and won't have a problem sailing in any of them in the future. I do think, though, that I'd like to have a balcony if and when we sail in Alaska and the Mediterranean. But who knows??? I thought I'd like one when cruising Hawaii, but sailed in an inside which turned out fine because we really didn't have much time to be in our cabin what with being off ship in port, eating, and exploring the ship a little.

We did a OV for our first cruise, this time we are in 2 inside cabins, mostly due to price ( we are taking the whole family 8 people total). But we have the best of both worlds as Grandma and Grandpa are across the hall in a balcony room. So we get to enjoy that to this time, and I can sleep not worried that the kids are going to get out.

We like inside cabins for the sleeping and the balcony for the morning coffee with views. We also like to leave the balcony door open all nite to hear the waves splashing. One thing we would never do is get outside cabin with a porthole.

The BEST thing about an interior cabin was that it forced us to get out and meet people. Some of the best days of my life were spent leaning against the rail on the Jade's promenade checking out the glaciers and fjords of Norway. Having other people around that were equally moved made the experience even better. It didn't even matter that we all spoke different languages.

Appreciate the responses, another question. If the Balcony is so much nicer in your opinion, what about in March for the Mediterranean? I was thinking that it might be too cold at that point to get much enjoyment out of it?

We usually go basic outside, but have had a balcony a few times. I really don't think it is worth the extra unless the difference is very little or you will be cruising somewhere that has you close to shore most of the trip like Alaska. Everyone has his/her own ideas on this and there is no right answer.

Nita

The BEST thing about an interior cabin was that it forced us to get out and meet people. Some of the best days of my life were spent leaning against the rail on the Jade's promenade checking out the glaciers and fjords of Norway. Having other people around that were equally moved made the experience even better. It didn't even matter that we all spoke different languages.

Neat. Thanks for sharing that. :)

That's what cruising's all about, isn't it?

We've had insides, outsides and balcony. I told my husband it was the last time we were going with a balcony because he always wants the curtain closed to keep it from getting hot in the cabin :mad:

plus both times we had a balcony our neighbors on either side of us either were drinking a lot and were very loud or conversations that weren't meant for others to hear:eek:

The main reason we have gone with something besides an inside was that the cabin was bigger. On several of Carnival ships insides or outside were 185 sq feet. But on NCL, the outside is bigger than the inside cabins.

I've always done an inside guaranteed and have been fine with the rooms. I don't spend alot of time in the room so if it's small - that's fine. I did have a balcony on one cruise - it was beautiful and I did enjoy the fresh air and the balcony but I can't afford to cruise that way. I would rather spend my money in the ports sight-seeing or shopping. :D

In March in the Med it will be rather cold in the balcony while sailing. Plus it will get dark quite early .

We rarely actually sat in our balcony but what I enjoy is the wall to wall glass. In fact I wish they had cabins like that even with no balcony.

If you do get a balcony check out which side is best.

Even when we have a balcony, we still go on deck when approaching the harbour. The atmosphere of a 360 degree view is well worth it. After a day exploring we usually go to the Great Outdoors on our return and have a coffee/snack and watch our departure from there.

I'm the type of person that enjoys being with people and prefer watching things from the deck then by ourselves in the balcony.

If your cruise takes in Malta do make sure you go on deck for sail in = it's quite impressive sailing in with bastions on both sides.

Our first cruise was an inside as we didn't have much money but I get really bad seasickness it didn't help. Now a balcony is a must just to get fresh air. I still get sea sick but much easier to manage with a balcony. mummsie

Our first 2 Crusies have been in inside Cabins. We chose a Mini Suite for our 13 Day Carribean in April.

The weather should be pretty descent out of Miami on the 11th, but I am concerned coming back (Balcony and temperature) towards the end of April heading to New York.

ANY opinions on this?

Archived