Just back from the Sapphire

ehogan

We returned from the Sapphire yesterday, and I'll write a review sometime this week.

A great cruise even though we didn't get to Cabo - the Captain said that the storms in the L.A. area and southwards would make us late into LA if we went to Cabo. A pretty rough night the sixth night and some of the next day.

Food was excellent in all areas, especially the dining rooms (we had anytime dining). Staff were always pleasant and the entertainment was very good.

We received an upgrade from obstructed outside to balcony, so we were pretty happy!

Embarkation and disembarkation went like a dream!

I was hoping someone would report back from the Sapphire. I figured you were having pretty rough seas! They kept saying the waves were the highest they've been off the coast of California in a very long time. Average for a few days was 15-25'. :eek: January always seems to either be completely flat or pretty darn rough! :cool:

Looking forward to the review.

We missed Cabo in October 2008 due to an approaching hurricane. I'd rather the Captain be safe than try and go into a port. We had a fab time nonetheless. One of our commuter friends was on your cruise (Gary) so I'll look forward to hearing about the cruise when we see him tomorrow.

Due to Hurricane Rick last October, the Captain decided to turn the ship around and we sailed to San Francisco, Catalina, SanDiego and Ensenada. It was a beautiful trip. Calm seas, sunshiny days in all ports. If Princess were to start a coastal California cruise, I would definitely take it again.

We were on this cruise as well and jusy loved everything single minute of it. Staff, fellow cruisers, food ...all were wonderful. We were in Nuevo for Hurricane Rick and that was quite the experience now the last few days of this cruise.....What is the third thing going to be????? :cool:

Watch Dh tell me he wants us to cruise the Caribean next August :eek:

RE the bands:

We didn't spend too much time with the bands - DH is a poker nut and I am an early to bed type, however the Mariachi band was just great (played in the Atrium). The Wheelhouse bar had a dance band that were OK, the singer was a bit off sometimes, but nothing too bad.

We heard a rather enthusiastic rock type band in the Explorers lounge, but can't really comment since we only heard them in passing.

The back up orchestra for the shows in the Princess theatre were great. There was also a lounge/piano singer at the Martini Bar - excellent on the piano, kept saying he couldn't sing, but I thought the vegas-style crooning was pretty good.

We returned from the Sapphire yesterday, and I'll write a review sometime this week.

A great cruise even though we didn't get to Cabo - the Captain said that the storms in the L.A. area and southwards would make us late into LA if we went to Cabo. A pretty rough night the sixth night and some of the next day.

Food was excellent in all areas, especially the dining rooms (we had anytime dining). Staff were always pleasant and the entertainment was very good.

We received an upgrade from obstructed outside to balcony, so we were pretty happy!

Personally, I think you didn't miss much in Cabo. :) FINALLY, someone who is not complaining about a miss port! Glad you had a great time.

Personally, I think you didn't miss much in Cabo. :) FINALLY, someone who is not complaining about a miss port! Glad you had a great time.

LOL We were saying the same things that Mazatlan day when the captain came on the loud speaker, in fact, I think my husband smiled and said, "Cool, another sea day" Call us crazy but we like sea days

I think we saw two people put out about missing Cabo, one man I smiled sweetly at and said, "better be safe then sorry" the other people complaining were getting the same treatment that I gave to the complaining man so I thought it wise to leave them alone:D

LOL We were saying the same things that Mazatlan day when the captain came on the loud speaker, in fact, I think my husband smiled and said, "Cool, another sea day" Call us crazy but we like sea days

I think we saw two people put out about missing Cabo, one man I smiled sweetly at and said, "better be safe then sorry" the other people complaining were getting the same treatment that I gave to the complaining man so I thought it wise to leave them alone:D

I love sea days. I'd probably go on a cruise to nowhere just to have all sea days. LOL. It is good to see that you had a good attitude about it.

Hi! We also will be on the Sapphire in 5 weeks and cruising with Princess for the first time ( we have cruise a few times with other cruiselines)We have an obstructed view cabin and wonder how you were able to get an upgrade to balcony. Thanks for any info.

Hi! We also will be on the Sapphire in 5 weeks and cruising with Princess for the first time ( we have cruise a few times with other cruiselines)We have an obstructed view cabin and wonder how you were able to get an upgrade to balcony. Thanks for any info.

There's nothing you can really "do" to get such an upgrade for free. It's the luck of the computer that assigns cabin upgrades in order to free up lower priced cabins to maximize revenue for the cruiseline. There are lots of theories on this board that less frequent Princess cruisers may have a better "chance" for an upgrade since they are already assumed to be "hooked" and don't need the incentive to come back to Princess another time. IF this is true, as first time Princess cruisers, you MIGHT have a chance...

There's nothing you can really "do" to get such an upgrade for free. It's the luck of the computer that assigns cabin upgrades in order to free up lower priced cabins to maximize revenue for the cruiseline. There are lots of theories on this board that less frequent Princess cruisers may have a better "chance" for an upgrade since they are already assumed to be "hooked" and don't need the incentive to come back to Princess another time. IF this is true, as first time Princess cruisers, you MIGHT have a chance...

Thanks for the info. We hope to get lucky with an upgrade.

We always try to book a guarantee cabin, and I have to say most times we are upgraded (never with RCCL though and its tough to get a guarantee cabin with NCL)

Carnival and HAL are the best for upgrades including category upgrades (e.g. inside to outside- usually upgrades are within the same category, just a cabin higher on the ship).

When we first cruised with Princess we never got upgrades, so I don't know if being Platinum helps.

I agree with other posters that it seems to be luck of the draw. If you book guarantee, however you have to be willing to take what they give you - we have had many upgrades to a cabin at the back or front of the ship - a problem if you are prone to seasickness.

If you don't get an upgrade, just remember the best areas are the public ones anyway - its doubtful you will spend much time in your cabin apart from sleeping.

We always try to book a guarantee cabin, and I have to say most times we are upgraded (never with RCCL though and its tough to get a guarantee cabin with NCL)

Carnival and HAL are the best for upgrades including category upgrades (e.g. inside to outside- usually upgrades are within the same category, just a cabin higher on the ship).

When we first cruised with Princess we never got upgrades, so I don't know if being Platinum helps.

I agree with other posters that it seems to be luck of the draw. If you book guarantee, however you have to be willing to take what they give you - we have had many upgrades to a cabin at the back or front of the ship - a problem if you are prone to seasickness.

If you don't get an upgrade, just remember the best areas are the public ones anyway - its doubtful you will spend much time in your cabin apart from sleeping.

I think it's the luck of the draw or being a newbie. I had upgrades when I was new to Princess. I haven't had any in the last few cruises, so being Elite sure didn't help. I booked a GTY on HAL once and got the absolute worst cabin on the ship. LOL. Never got an upgrade on Carnival either. You just never know when it will happen.

Agree Sapphire is a great ship, never crowded, great food and service. Hope you ordered Escargot, my favorite.:eek:

Cabo is only 1/2 day anyway. And you anchor way out and tender in. But never in very high winds.:cool:

Have a great cruise! Lucky you! Are you ready? Take care of "my" ship please!

Nina

Hi Nina,

More than ready and I'll take care of "our" ship. My fourth time on her as I live about 30 minutes from San Pedro. I wasn't planning this cruise as a friend and I did a cruise on the Crown in November. I couldn't resist the great rates that were advertised for January and February.

Looks like you are on her first week in May. Is that the last Mexican Riviera cruise of this season?

Hi Nina,

More than ready and I'll take care of "our" ship. My fourth time on her as I live about 30 minutes from San Pedro. I wasn't planning this cruise as a friend and I did a cruise on the Crown in November. I couldn't resist the great rates that were advertised for January and February.

Looks like you are on her first week in May. Is that the last Mexican Riviera cruise of this season?

Yes, that is the last Mexican Riviera cruise of the season! I will be doing the Las Caletas excursion, but nothing else but relax for the whole week... 3 months to go! :(

Archived