The 2010 Wine List is here!

I grabbed the Photo for the Red Cabernet Sauvignon and put them into a 'wish list' from www.cellartracker.com

click here >>> http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?table=Tag&List=RCCL+2010+Wine+List+MDR&iUserOverride=48750

Guessing at the years - once you clink on a wine you can see the other years linked. Cellar Tracker is a GREAT way to store & track you wine addiction - it is shareware but if you are into wine - a great resource.

I am confused - the glare in the shot makes it hard to read #455 #621 Caymus ( looks like $92 ) and #635 ( looks like $42 - but the street price that users of Cellar Tracker ( CT ) show at $38 -- there are a few other questions on pricing - lets see what shakes out

It is NOT uncommon for lower priced wines to have the largest markup.

Anyone not familiar with wine scoring - well - enjoy the journey to understanding and the more you 'think you know' the more you find you may never know. There are some very nice upper end wines in Cab Sauv. I want to sit at that table ..:-)

Greg

Greg.........thanks for the lesson! I, for one, am not an wine connoisseur, and my DW will have a glass of "white" once in a while.....

Most of us know that RCCL sells wine at an incredible markup.

I think we need to follow you.......as you seem to have a pretty good handle on wines!:)

Rick

And......if you were to hear from the OP........critterchick.........at this point.........I would be amazed, as she is either in the air.....or already in Australia, and I don't think that she would be spending her well earned internet dollars...........answering this!!

Jean......you are always full of information........and I hope that you have a wonderful time "down under"!!:);)

Rick

Rick, I don't know Critterchick, so how would I know she is down under?

My question was directed to anyone who has tried these wines.

So, everyone...let us know which of these lesser priced wines did you find enjoyable.

Cheryl

I grabbed the Photo for the Red Cabernet Sauvignon and put them into a 'wish list' from www.cellartracker.com

click here >>> http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?table=Tag&List=RCCL+2010+Wine+List+MDR&iUserOverride=48750

Guessing at the years - once you clink on a wine you can see the other years linked. Cellar Tracker is a GREAT way to store & track you wine addiction - it is shareware but if you are into wine - a great resource.

I am confused - the glare in the shot makes it hard to read #455 #621 Caymus ( looks like $92 ) and #635 ( looks like $42 - but the street price that users of Cellar Tracker ( CT ) show at $38 -- there are a few other questions on pricing - lets see what shakes out

It is NOT uncommon for lower priced wines to have the largest markup.

Anyone not familiar with wine scoring - well - enjoy the journey to understanding and the more you 'think you know' the more you find you may never know. There are some very nice upper end wines in Cab Sauv. I want to sit at that table ..:-)

Greg

Greg, thanks for the link to cellar tracker. It looks like Jordan Cab. isn't on the list anymore. That is a nice wine!

Cheryl

They used to allow 2 bottles but changed the policy some time ago.

Thanks -- damm - hate to see RCCL get so stupid -- if there is a special wine - I don't mind the corkage - I like to have the CHOICE !!

here is a cute article that was mentioned on a wine MB today .... 5 years old - but is timeless.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/24/WIG80BRKHC1.DTL

When I get more time - I will add others to the CT wish list I posted above - then I can plan my wines - If I must pay big bucks for wine - I want the best bottle for that price range ( they call it QPR - quality price ratio ) ... if both wines are $75 --then pick the higher rated wine ... just be careful on CT that there are enough votes for the rating. At least you can steer clear of bad value vintages ...

Greg

ps -any math people out there - enjoy this cheat sheet for USA street prices on wine types by rating courtesy of http://www.winebluebook.com

286267258_WineBlueBookQPR.jpg.07b2a7b0a0789c83ee4fe1eec16f2b56.jpg

I think that wine is just as personal a taste as what people think of the food on board: everyone is going to have a different opinion.

Thanks to the OP and AT for the listings and comparisons.

Anyone expecting the prices to be in accordance to what you might pay at your local supermarket or wine store, you are sadly mistaken. Also, the markup isn't driven by the price that you pay from the list, the markup is based on the price that they pay. But since we're not privy to what RCCL is paying for the wine, we just base it off of the price we pay. In general, the the less expensive the bottle of wine, the markup is generally higher.

Just to take some comparison to what we pay locally as opposed to a restaurant as opposed to the RCCL:

1 bottle of Conundrum (one of our favorites) at TW&M for the 2008 vintage runs $19. At our Melting Pot, the same bottle of win runs $48. On RCCL, it's $49. The markup based on the store price is somewhere between 2-3x. Then tack on the 15% gratuity and that bottle is really $56.35, but still within the 2-3x range.

The package prices are decent at best. You will save money off the menu prices. The wine package lists are decent as well and better than they were last year. We might think about getting one of the diamond ones possibly.

Greg

Caymus is $92 on board. (We sailed last week) We pay about $68 locally – so not a bad deal as far as markup. If you are D or D+ there is a coupon to buy on bottle and get another one over $50 at 20% off. Brings it down to $74.

Cheers

M

We have purchased wine packages both at RCCL.com before the cruise and on board the first day. I can't recall if there was an additional discount for the "on board" purchase? Anyone able to advise? Thanks

Doesn't matter if you order your wine package before or on the cruise the price is the same!

Susan :)

Greg, thanks for the link to cellar tracker. It looks like Jordan Cab. isn't on the list anymore. That is a nice wine!

Cheryl

Have you been to the Jordan winery? We dropped by there last labor day and they were very snooty. The grounds are beautiful and the wine is good but if you are not into case lots they don't want you doing their tasting.

Thanks Susan. I had read somewhere on these boards that there was a 20% discount if you bought it at the entrance to the windjammer on the first day of cruise. Guess that would be too good to be true.

Cheers

No I think where the 20% comes into play is that if you buy the package versus the wine on the ship, you'll save 20% (or at least that's what RC's propaganda says).

Susan :)

Damm - where is the edit button to correct a post ????

Anyways I changed the URL on the above link to ......

http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?table=Tag&List=RCCL+2010+Cabernet+Sauvignon+Wine+List&iUserOverride=48750

I re-named as it is JUST the Cabernet Sauvignons ... if I like this I will try the Pinot's and maybe try to figure out where they show the Rhone's. Just the Cab Sauv makes it a list of 19 - handy for cell phones etc when at dinner & I forget

I noticed that the drinking window and CT users ratings didn't show - corrected that ( I hope ) and added if the wine was part of the Gold-Platinum or Diamond package ( there are a LOT of wines you MISS with these packages ! ) - and also added if the wine was available in PORTOINO or CHOPS as well as the MDR.

Verified the prices from images from Chops or Portofino -- I will look up a few to see what the professionals ( I have subscriptions to the data bases for Robert Parker-Wine Advocate - to Wine Spectator & to Jancis Robinson's Purple Pages )

All this typing has made me thirsty

Greg

On RCCL wine is NOT allowed to be brought onboard. I carried on a couple bottles on and offered to pay the corkage fee. They took the bottles and returned them to me the last day of the cruise! Holland American has NO limit to wine and champagne brought onboard. They do have a corkage fee if you consume it at your table. Carnival allows 1-2 bottles per person.

here is the Pinot List

http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?table=Tag&List=RCCL+Pinot+Noir+Wine+List+2010&iUserOverride=48750

You can click on any wine and it will take you to the specific page to see how many hold it and what drinking comments have been made

Remember - the year can vary - and that can have a huge effect on the wine ( weather related mostly ) - RCCL doesn't post the year but any good restaurant with a solid wine list should.

Any idea where they store these on the ship? Cellar temperature for wines ? Do they have coolers for the more expensive wines ? Hate to think some are 'cooked' with too hi a storage temp.

Greg

On RCCL wine is NOT allowed to be brought onboard. I carried on a couple bottles on and offered to pay the corkage fee. They took the bottles and returned them to me the last day of the cruise! Holland American has NO limit to wine and champagne brought onboard. They do have a corkage fee if you consume it at your table. Carnival allows 1-2 bottles per person.

I had see this and bookmarked it a while back ...

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?t=124306&page=1&pp=40&highlight=byo+cruise

Guess I will have to find a reason to try Holland or Carnival

This comment ( from above thread ) struck me ... "I know the CEO/President of Carnival, Bob Dickinson is an avid collector and very nice guy. Met him at several tastings, very knowledgable....Im glad to see that at least Carnival policies are friendly to wine lovers!"

The guys on eRobertParker are amazing for their knowledge of wine and their connections - at some point I hope the President of RCCL sees this and stops being a dickhead. People who are 'into wine' like to have a choice - even if it means lugging it along.

One thread somewhere said (Holland America I think ) accepts deliveries when wine lovers have them ordered and the wine shops delivers ... that couple will drink GOOD wine.

Greg

Here is Rhone & Spain ( two of my favourites - both areas can offer great value

http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?table=Tag&List=RCCL+2010+Spain+%26+Rhone+Wines&iUserOverride=48750

If you like Grenache - the $29 might be the best value $29 on board - given that you will find it in your local stores for less than $8 -interesting that both wine spectator and wine advocate gave this the time for a tasting and rating ( one was 88 and other 89 - tremendous values for an $7.99 wine

I have a couple marked ( in notes ) for my wife to try

Greg

Greg.........could you show us where???

Rick

I had this link saved ...http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6826053161/m/544107723?r=944107723#944107723

BUT - it is an OLDER LINK and Miller1975 is probably correct in that RCCL closed that loop hole ... here is quote from this link

=================================================

"An exception to the rule is:

For guests who have a unique request for wine (only), and is not listed in the wine list below, Royal Caribbean will allow a maximum of two bottles of wine.

A corkage fee of $12.00 per bottle will be charged.

We do not allow more than two bottles.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Maria Perez

Customer Service Representative

===================================================

I will try to e-mail for a confirmation for 2010 or was this rule changed

Greg

Greg, thanks for posting that site with the scores. Is there a legend that would give further context to the grades? I'm looking at your Pinot list and the spread seems to be 84.2 (lowest grade) to 89.8 (highest grade). To this novice that doesn't seem like a big difference. However the prices do seem like a big difference.

Greg, Can't thank you enough for the invaluable information and coordination of the cellar tracker listings. Extremely helpful to my wine planning. Looking forward to the Malbec comparison too.

I agree that the difference between an 84 and an 89 rated wine will be on the tongue of the beholder and will of course vary from vintage to vintage as Greg pointed out.

With all the discussion about the dining rooms and cabins, where does "Vintages" fall into all this? Do they have the same wines? Anyone have any personal experience there?

hello DGNY & ajcruiser

First - every time I think I am smart on wines ( or a good golfer ) I am grounded by the fact that there are so many much smarter - but it has been a great last two years of really trying hard to understand wine!

Here is a fair link for scores -- http://wineinvestment.sg/more-information/wine-scores-and-wine-critics/ try googling and watch the hours pass as you get into this.

They list the Robert Parker ( the godfather of scoring systems ) and his Magazine Wine Advocate. And the other major players ... when you start seeing other pro's - use their scores with a touch of caution ...for example some from Australia seem to overscore their home wine ( gee -imagine that )

I posted a handy guide borrowed from winebluebook.com ( just a guide - not cast in stone ) on the scores a 'typical' wine will have - relative to the price you can expect to pay ... click here to see>> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22993630&postcount=30 Remember they are just averages - and you might find some tremendous values if you are the right place at the right time - or you can overpay for crap

It is interesting to see how some wines will score different - and when you are looking at CellarTracker.com scores ( us non-pro tasters - this swing can be large --kind of like figure skating judges --throw out the hi & the low - and see what happens ). On the Rhone & Spain list I mention -- if you like Grenache ... it is a grape you have to learn to like ... another for me is Malbec ( great values - just can't warm up to it. ).

So Parker starts with a 0 to 100 and we really end up in the 82 to 92 range for most of us - above 92 the wine will be bid up in price --there are insane prices people will pay for wine ( right up there for that will pay for ski chalets ) ... I call the line at a fixed price and walk when it gets more than that.

the low end -- well - when you start drinking 'nicer' wines - you will start avoiding the stuff just a year ago you thought was OK. Less than 85 is really not an enjoyable bottle - less than 80 and it is paint stripper only.

Taste is what YOU think --these other aids are to help you avoid some bottles ( or make sure you track down the others). There are just way TOO many wineries to ever know - but it fun to try to drink all of them.

I mentioned vintages -- the year the wine was grown & bottled ... just when you thought it might get easier -- mother nature steps in ...even on poor growing years many of the BEST can produce a quality product - but others suffer big time.

http://www.winespectator.com/vintagecharts/grid

https://www.erobertparker.com/newsearch/vintageChart1.aspx

I do not now if these links are open to all- I have subscriptions- maybe someone can tell me

pretty sure this one is open to all

http://www.enobytes.com/enobytes-vintage-chart.pdf

What specific year is not a deal breaker - but it does play into what wineries can sell their product for - a typical bottle may cost $10 to make and the rest is profit & marketing - and a bad year will press down the prices -and a GREAT YEAR like Rhone 2007 pushes the prices up. Then you have Burgundy & Bordeaux - these guys are living a dream - way overpriced in most cases ( but I do love Burgundy - Pinot Noir :-(

Have fun ( or as much fun as RCCL lets us given their wine policies )

Greg

Archived