packing cubes what are they?

texasnana

I've seen them online and many people on CC have used them. I remember reading you can get them at Walmart. I'd like to know if they are really as good as keeping clothes wrinkle free as I've read. They seem so small too me. I'd think that alone would cause wrinkles.

Packing cubes are (how to explain?) simply a flexible "box" with a zipper, comes in varying sizes, that you can use to organize your clothing items. I have several, but over the years I use them less. We tend to travel to Europe quite frequently, and when we first started I used them all the time. But, now, I use the smaller ones to organize socks, undergarments, etc. I even use one to put my chargers/cords etc in! The main reason I stopped using the large ones for shirts, was I found that they would wrinkle more. If you are using them for t-shirts or similar material they are fine, but for cotton or cotton blend material I got more wrinkles than I liked. Also, I found they are less able to fit (once packed with the items) in the crevices of my suitcase - less forgiving in space. It really is a personal choice, though. You can find them in the Magellans catalog, any luggage store and the Container Store. There are also the packing items that allow you to 'suck' the air out and reduce the space of the packing item - I found this just really led to lots of wrinkles too!

I purchased my packing cubes from http://www.ebags.com. There are several configurations to choose from. Mine are 3-sizes per set, large, medium and small. I got one set for DH and one for me. They are flexible mesh zippered "containers" that hold different clothing/accessory items. For example, in the largest one, I can pack between 6 and 8 folded shirts. When we get to our destination, just put the cube in a drawer, or on a shelf, and viola! Clothes stay very nicely in the cubes, don't wrinkle, and for my large rolling duffel bags, the clothes don't shift around in the bag.

I think they are a great idea, and they work beautifully. I've recommended them to all my traveling friends....:)

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
What are they and where do i buy them?

My AVON order just came in and with it I got a new AVON book. It's campaign 5,2010 any way on page 121 there is a set of LIGHT WEIGHT TRAVEL PACKING CUBES set of 3. on sale for $9.99.

Just thought I'd post it incase any one is looking for a set. I don't know the quality but they were originally $19.99.

texasnana, your question is quite reasonable. (Why are some posters so sarcastic and rude? :rolleyes:)

We have used the Eagle Creek brand of packing cubes and another item, their envelopes for several years now, and like Karen, I can highly recommend them. We bought them at Container Store in San Antonio; they have an annual sale on them. Wish I could remember what month.

The cubes are great for keeping smaller stuff (slips, socks, even electronics) together and organized, and you can just take them out and put them in drawers or on shelves in the cabin. They come in 1/4, 1/2, and full sizes, and are very sturdy.

The envelopes work GREAT for keeping shirts nearly wrinkle free. I have a large one for DH's shirts, and a medium size for mine. If you take your time folding everything very carefully, like the instructions say, it's amazing how well they come out. For larger sizes, like my DH's, I would recommend the bigger envelopes.

I think the key is to fold the velcro flaps over as tightly as you can.

They aren't cheap, but over the years we have acquired enough to pack for any trip. We use them all the time.

toxicfairy and tiggypoo, thanks for the leads on the bargains!

Regards,

Jan

jcross, I totally agree. When a person asks a question, it should be answered politely and leave the remarks out. It is apparant, the op has heard about the packing cubes and wanted to know about them. I myself saw a similiar thread and Patti and others explained what they were, and I learned something. CC is for assisting others.

I use packing folders and cubes too and love them. I also leave most the items in the cubes and folders also when I unpack. I use 15 inch folders for collard shirts, 18 inch folder for pants, and various size cubes and tubes to take advantage of all my luggage space. Keep in mind to that the manufacturers of these products can have different dimensions so measure your bag and get the ones that have the best fit.

Here are a few how to videos on using folders and cubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QywORynRofc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxQn7paOffY

Edward's Luggage has some videos on this subject as well.

Shak

I have a nearly complete matching set of the Eagle Creek cubes, and one large envelope. The envelope is my favorite and I want another one for long trips! Love all of them and they help me pack well and stay organized. They are especially helpful for packing into a carry-on for short trips, I can fit nearly a week's worth of clothes into a standard size airline cabin bag.

I bought mine from REI but you can also get them from Amazon.

I have the Eagle Creek cubes. I like them but don't love them. They do keep things from rolling around in the suitcase, and if your suitcase is opened, it keeps the inspector's hands off your private things. I do like my suitcase to be neat and orderly. They're less useful in a situation like a cruise, where you unpack once. They're most useful for a road trip, in which you're in a different place every night.

If mine suddenly disappeared, I wouldn't be devestated . . . but I probably would buy some more sometime when I found them on sale again.

After I learned about them, going to buy some for our next cruise. Shak now I hadn't thought about using them for pants, with our new luggage, they have an upper section for garments, dresses, blouses, then the main lower section can be used for other clothes. After reading all the posts on the cubes, I hope this will help organize our packing better.

I have two of the eagle creek envelopes and a few swiss army cubes. I typically use the envelopes on business trips for button down shirts and I use the little ones for keeping my rolled ties and collar stays. I've found they make good drawer organizers in the hotel dressers.

I've never thought of bringing them on the ship. The dresser draws are so small, not sure they would fit well. I do use a really small one to hold all of the electronic charger cables.

I have the Eagle Creek cubes. I like them but don't love them. They do keep things from rolling around in the suitcase, and if your suitcase is opened, it keeps the inspector's hands off your private things. I do like my suitcase to be neat and orderly. They're less useful in a situation like a cruise, where you unpack once. They're most useful for a road trip, in which you're in a different place every night.

If mine suddenly disappeared, I wouldn't be devestated . . . but I probably would buy some more sometime when I found them on sale again.

This is where we find the most useful. No need to remove things from the cubes. Just unzip and place cube on shelf or in a drawer.:p

sorry but if you dont know what they are, why do you want or need to know where to buy them?:confused:

That's why the OP is asking the question. :D Pack-it-cubes/folders have been discussed in and among many threads here.

You will never learn unless you ask!

These are the best - originally got them for a motor coach tour of the Grand Canyon where we were in a different place every day. Packed one complete outfit in each and just replaced it with the clothes we'd worn the previous day - no unpacking every night or rummaging around in the suitcase. They are convenient for cruising as well - undies in one, t-shirts in another, etc.

Patti I just ordered them for my suitcase in Red, since my suitcases are Red. :). There are 3 to a package in the differant sizes. I think I am organized but can see these will greatly improve my packing. DH probably could use some but he has the Recardo Garmet Suitcase and this holds alot, but he tends to over pack it.

Gay

My sister used packing cubes for years and I could never understand why. After watching her, trip after trip, just put the cubes in drawers and pull out unwrinkled clothes every day, I finally broke down and bought some. They save you so much space! I packed for my cruise on the Independence of the Seas in one small carry on. I had three large packing cubes and a few pairs of shoes. I swear by them now and have bought them as gifts for everyone I know that travels. Buy them, you will NOT be disappointed!

Archived