What to do with dirty clothing on board?

texasnana

I read that folks throw dirty clothing ina suit case and take it home. I do not care to do that. What do you all do with it. Refold it and take it home? I would rather not look at it again or fold it. So what is the best idea?

Bring one outfit, wear it the entire time :D

Texasnana, I really don't understand your question...would you mind clearing it up? You don't want to throw your dirty clothes back into your empty suitcase? If you don't pack them back up, how will you get them home?

Or are you planning on NOT emptying your suitcase and using the closet and drawers? Maybe that's it, cuz if that's not it, I don't get it.

I hope I'm not coming across sarcastic or rude. I'm really curious as to what you mean here...

I just dont want to have to deal with dirty clothing at the end of the cruise like having to fold them or touch them.LOL

So what i decided to thanks to all i bought 2 1/2 gallon zip locks as they get dirty put the dirty clothing in the bags. ( making sure i get the air out when we pack them) Then when we get home i just open and toss in washing machine.

Thanks again all for your comments.

I read that folks throw dirty clothing ina suit case and take it home. I do not care to do that. What do you all do with it. Refold it and take it home? I would rather not look at it again or fold it. So what is the best idea?

I put it all in a vacuum bag..the room steward brings me his vacuum on the last night and...Presto..compacted dirty clothes that take up hardly any room..

I just dont want to have to deal with dirty clothing at the end of the cruise like having to fold them or touch them.LOL

So what i decided to thanks to all i bought 2 1/2 gallon zip locks as they get dirty put the dirty clothing in the bags. ( making sure i get the air out when we pack them) Then when we get home i just open and toss in washing machine.

Thanks again all for your comments.

You don't like to touch your own clothes after you've worn 'em once? Are you planning on rolling around in mud or something? LOL. And of course you wouldn't have to fold them. Perhaps you can get a pair of chopsticks to pick each item up with.

;) I'm just kidding. But remember, if you seal your filthy, disgusting, germ-and-mud-infested clothes in a plastic bag, they could start fermenting. :eek:

I put the dirties into a space bag all week. At the end of the cruise, squeeze the air out and it goes into the suitcase to go home.

That is a great idea along with filling a big ziploc bag and sitting on it to get all the air out. With what I will gain onour trip the second option will work just fine:eek::D

We bought the collapsable hamper to store our dirties in and do a couple loads during the cruise, and then have clean clothes to pack and hang up when we get home. I will use the large Zip Lock bags to pack my small things in like under garments, sockts, DH's T shirts and squeeze the air out.

I Bring new underwear and socks. I use it and loose it. I'll bring back shirts and slacks and shorts. they aren't too bad. Bringing back under garments grosses me out even to think about it.

Me too. This is the absolute best method. We bring a few and 'sort as we go' (darks/colors/whites, etc.). Then the last day just squeeze out the air and plop them in the suitcase. It helps keep the dirty clothes from ...well... smelling up the suitcase, and your laundry is all sorted and ready to go into the washer when you get home!;)

SPACE BAGS this is the best suggestion I learned on a travel forum years ago. Better to buy several medium/large ones, than one extra large. Sit a bag in the closet, hubby and I normally get two days worth of clothes in a bag. But the kind that you just roll the air out of. Seal it, roll it, and put it in the suitcase. By the end of the week most of my clothes is dirty and already packed. Makes packing for home so much easier and quicker. We have been doing this for land and cruise vacations for years.

I read an article in a travel magazine about single-use, disposible underwear and socks. These are items that you wear once then throw away. They are made by a company called Onederwear. I have never used them so have no personal knowledge about the comfort/duability of the product. They might be good for people who don't want to bring home dirty underwear or socks.

Just to see what they looked like, I once ordered the disposable underwear. Didn't even wear them more than a few minutes and tossed them, I couldn't stand the feel of them. Same thing with the microfiber underwear you see on travel goods sites, they were too weird and we sent them back.

I doubt I'd want to pack dirty laundry into my compression bags, since I want to use them again for repeated trips. I also can't stand the thought of having dirty underwear sit around for a week in a hamper, or in our nice suitcases, so we have DH's laundered mid-cruise and I wash mine by hand. I'd rather use ziplocs for smelly or dirty things, I don't mind so much disposing of those.

I start buying quart and gallon size plastic bags a few months before the cruise (Walmart). I package each pair of underwear in a bag. After wearing, I just put it back in the bag and squeeze out the air. When I get home, I line up two shopping bags, put the dirty underwear in one and the used plastic bags in another; carry the laundry down to the basement and the used plastic bags get tossed. Works beautifully. As for other items of clothing, I put good sweaters, etc., in larger bags and keep them in the closet areas in their individual bags. It's a lot of bags, but it works and there's peace of mind you aren't picking anything up. I also swipe the insides of the storage area with a Lysol wipe and line with tissue paper before unpacking. As for the other pieces of dirty clothing, they just get repacked.

I like to bring along some dryer sheets with Febreze to toss in the luggage with the bagged dirty laundry. Keeps the luggage from picking up the dirty laundry smells. You can put one dryer sheet in each plastic bag of smelly laundry or just toss a few in the luggage, under the bagged laundry.

I usually just put a couple of dryer sheets in each suitcase when I'm packing. Your clothes will smell fresh when you arrive. Then, get double duty by reusing the dryer sheets when you pack up the dirties.

I just assumed it was common sense to put your clothes in a trash bag or suitcase, bring it home and wash it. Who would have guessed that some people have made it so complicated? I can't believe it is even a discussion topic here....

[quote name='Lady Chew']I don't like the idea of dirty clothes directly out in my suitcase, especially to the point of having to air them out, as someone mentioned earlier!![/quote]

I actually got into that habit when I did some traveling to some fairly remote areas of Central America in college. I had no idea what kind of critters I might be bringing home in my luggage, so I left in the garage in January figuring that would kill any tropical fauna that had hitched a ride. The bonus was that the luggage was aired out by the time it came back in.

Archived