Clean Shave - prices and services?

melmar02

DH is very interested in getting shaves on formal nights, but we were wondering if they offer any other services other than just shaves. I couldn't find anything on RC's website, only spa services and prices.

Does anyone know what A Clean Shave offers and their prices?

TIA

Thanks for the info on services.

I can't say I'm worried about the price - I'm sure the upcharge is in line with that of the spa. I'm a planner though so still curious about the price of the shave - DH is bald so don't have to mess with the haircut.;)

Anybody been recently and know?

Thanks.

I believe it was just under 40$ and was silly bic shaver not the type of shave you expect .No old Italian sharpening a strait razor .Spa employee trying to sell beard softner ,shaving cream and after shave .She was a alot better looking than TONY though LOL.Everybody says bic for safety However Strait razor takes barber skills and here in NY a licence seperate from haircutters licence. Everytime I see this posted I comment because I looked foward to this shave and was so disappointed

I believe it was just under 40$ and was silly bic shaver not the type of shave you expect .No old Italian sharpening a strait razor .Spa employee trying to sell beard softner ,shaving cream and after shave .She was a alot better looking than TONY though LOL.Everybody says bic for safety However Strait razor takes barber skills and here in NY a licence seperate from haircutters licence. Everytime I see this posted I comment because I looked foward to this shave and was so disappointed

I was gonna say $40 isn't so bad for a ship price luxury thing, but when I saw it wasn't the straight razor and the strap (and maybe the old-fashioned jug of lotion applied with a brush?) I was disappointed!

I was gonna say $40 isn't so bad for a ship price luxury thing, but when I saw it wasn't the straight razor and the strap (and maybe the old-fashioned jug of lotion applied with a brush?) I was disappointed!

I'll take along a 10 pack of my double bladded Atra blades that cost me $2.79 plus tax, of course, at Walmart. At least I will bring them until RCI starts confiscating them so that they can sell more $40.00 shaves on board!:D

DH is very interested in getting shaves on formal nights, but we were wondering if they offer any other services other than just shaves. I couldn't find anything on RC's website, only spa services and prices.

Does anyone know what A Clean Shave offers and their prices?

TIA

I did a shave and facial on the Liberty a few years back, and I want to say it was something like $60 to $80..

Great experience!

$40 for a disposable shave?!? I was looking forward to going to get a shave when I go in May, but now I'm beginning to think twice!

Not sure I'd want someone near my throat with a straight razor when the ship starts rocking. :eek:

Dcoy

Amen to that. There's a reason for the expression "razor-sharp".

It takes a great deal of skill and practice to use a straight razor properly. Steady hands are only the first step. I own a straight razor, but have never mastered it.

Even if an old-time barber was willing to give razor shaves on board a cruise ship, I'd let someone else go first.

$40 for a disposable shave?!? I was looking forward to going to get a shave when I go in May, but now I'm beginning to think twice!

We were on Independence last week and it was $35 for a haircut and shave. I just looked at the prices and cant say how good the quality was, people working there were in their 20's. Not sure how good the service was as we were just passing by.

Mike

They never say its razor or bic they call it clean shave .I think if in ads if they said it was not strait razor it wouldnt be so offensive.Then instead of a good scalp , face massage and shave You get a sales pitch and a bic.These ships arent bouncing up and down like a row boat.

nolimits... you obviously didn't take that much time to actually look at the razor...

I had the whole shave/facial experience last year on Indy and LOVED it... She used the brush to apply the cream and was proud to mention that she was using a Mach 3 Power, and couldn't use a straight razor due to the movement of the boat, which I wouldn't want her using on me anyway...

what was really nice about the experience was the products, they used a post-shave mask afterwards and everything was great

OP, plan it for your DH, he'll love you for it and will look super handsome as well (and smell incredible)...

Boo-hiss all you party pooper pants! Seriously, if you want better, sail a more exclusive line, it's Royal, remember that!

nolimits... you obviously didn't take that much time to actually look at the razor...

I had the whole shave/facial experience last year on Indy and LOVED it... She used the brush to apply the cream and was proud to mention that she was using a Mach 3 Power, and couldn't use a straight razor due to the movement of the boat, which I wouldn't want her using on me anyway...

what was really nice about the experience was the products, they used a post-shave mask afterwards and everything was great

OP, plan it for your DH, he'll love you for it and will look super handsome as well (and smell incredible)...

Boo-hiss all you party pooper pants! Seriously, if you want better, sail a more exclusive line, it's Royal, remember that!

I was skeptical at first, but after reading this, im reconsidering getting the treatment done...differing opinions

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. I know it is RCI. It is my favorite cruise line. So?

OK, many people would be willing to go to a spa and get a facial for $100, but not a clean shave for $35? It sounds like a bargain to me.

I still hold a barbers license, haven't done a shave in many years but loved shaving with a straight edge years ago, I had a regular shave clientele. What many people don't realize is that a good shave is a "clean" shave, not a "close" shave. Shaving close means you can experience ingrown hairs and possibly rash or skin irritation.

So, it doesn't matter the type of razor that is used, straight edge or safety razor, the skill of shaving clean is completely in the individual skill of the barber, just like the haircut. My shave clientele received not only a clean shave with hot steam towels, but a mini facial after the shave. It's a luxury that a person can very much enjoy.

DW got me a shave a couple of years ago. While it was relaxing on the face, the quality was less than I could have done myself. I, too, thought it would be a straight razor shave, which would have been great. But the gal in the salon pointed out, quite rightfully, that a straight razor on a cruise ship could present some serious problems, should you encounter rough seas.

OK, many people would be willing to go to a spa and get a facial for $100, but not a clean shave for $35? It sounds like a bargain to me.

I still hold a barbers license, haven't done a shave in many years but loved shaving with a straight edge years ago, I had a regular shave clientele. What many people don't realize is that a good shave is a "clean" shave, not a "close" shave. Shaving close means you can experience ingrown hairs and possibly rash or skin irritation.

So, it doesn't matter the type of razor that is used, straight edge or safety razor, the skill of shaving clean is completely in the individual skill of the barber, just like the haircut. My shave clientele received not only a clean shave with hot steam towels, but a mini facial after the shave. It's a luxury that a person can very much enjoy.

Fascinating post!

• 4 weeks later...

Had a shave on Independence in Jan., 2010. Consisted of a facial massage with a creme of some type, a hot towel, another facial massage, another hot towel, creme applied, a shave with a bic-type razor (battery-run to cause it to vibrate against the skin), a facial wash, a cold towel applied; all followed of course with after shave. I believe it was $45.00 although this might have included tip. Took about 35 minutes.

• 1 year later...

I have had several shaves onboard Independence of the Seas, and planning on doing it again several more times this year with the cruises booked.

Yes, the shave is with a Mach 3 power razor, but they explain that they have to use this for security reasons, and have still given me an amazing feel at the end.

I think people are forgetting the word "EXPERIENCE", as it truly is one to remember.

You start with hot towels and lotions and potions to freshen the skin, then you get the 1st shave followed by cold towels to invigorate.

You also get face masks and other treatments and also finished with an Indian head massage, the whole experience lasting 50ish minutes.

So thats my opinion, and look forward to getting back in there.

Costs on average $60, but as most cruisers get OBC these days, give it a whirl

I either bring my own straight razor or my double edge razor. I went to a "seminar" about shaving on Grandeur and it was all just high pressure to buy their crummy shaving creams and lotions. I have more of my own than I may need in my lifetime. When I told him I use a brush to put my shaving cream on, he said it was antiquated and didn't serve any purpose at all. Using the brush actually helps to straighten up the whiskers for easier slicing, plus it acts as an exfoliant, and well...it just feels good on my face!!

I also run a webforum on shaving (a little bit of self promotion on my part), badgerandblade.com. And when we have someone asking about where and how to get the best straight razor shave before something important, such as a wedding or graduation or something, we ALWAYS suggest that they DON'T do it. If you get red bumps, nicks and cuts or even just a bad shave (I've had plenty of them), it might ruin your day more so than you intended it to enhance.

I have had several shaves onboard Independence of the Seas, and planning on doing it again several more times this year with the cruises booked.

Yes, the shave is with a Mach 3 power razor, but they explain that they have to use this for security reasons, and have still given me an amazing feel at the end.

I think people are forgetting the word "EXPERIENCE", as it truly is one to remember.

The OP's cruise was over a year ago - why are you posting this? :confused:

I would say it is a still signifigant question and discussion topic. I didn't know there was a statute of limitations on when a post can be replied to..

The OP's cruise was over a year ago - why are you posting this? :confused:

I would say it is a still signifigant question and discussion topic. I didn't know there was a statute of limitations on when a post can be replied to..

The OP was asking for advice for a cruise in February of 2010; there had been no activity on the thread for a full year - it is odd to suddenly answer the OP's post more than a year after their cruise ended. Do you tend to look up threads that are over a year old and answer people's questions for a cruise that ended a long, long time ago?

Archived