First time in a long time...

Dh & I are leaving on our first alone vacation in a long time (3 kids, eldest 9) on Navigator on Friday.

I just posted & got a quick response about disembarking so decided to post all my concerns because our last two cruises were with kids & the packing and cruise are so totally different than what we'll be doing this time. I've been searching & reading for the past few days but have some more questions.

Do you all try to look cute all the time? Or are there plenty of t-shirts and jean shorts? I think I have some pretty cute outfits for dinner, white capris and a satin shirt for example, and I have my formal outfit bought and dh is bringing a suit (we like to buy a few photos) but what about just randomly on the boat... what do you wear?

Do you look cute when you workout in the gym or just wear shorts & t-shirt?

For those of you who have zip-lined in Jamaica or Labadee or done the bobsled or roller coaster, what do you wear to that? Jeans? Long shorts?

Do I need a bungie cord or something to keep my balcony door open or will it stay open by itself?

I've heard & read on here that the phone charges are outrageous. We have a two year old daughter who will be staying for her first time with Grandma (for an extended time.) I know she won't really care about talking to us on the phone as two year olds don't really get it, but just the same I think I might like to call or e-mail or something. Where would be the best/easiest/cheapest way to call or send her some photos of us or both about halfway through our cruise? And, of course, our bigger girls will enjoy it too. We might bring dh's laptop as I've heard of people taking movies & hanging out in bed watching movies and this sounds good & relaxing to me.

Does anyone have any other tips for me? We're active 35 year olds who will be trying desperately to fit 10 years of relaxing into 5 days.

Oh, and I do have an alcohol question... I'm not a big drinker but I like coconut/tropical sissy drinks without a lot of calories (no pina coladas.) Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I'd just like to go to the bar and have a little drink to sip while I chill out at the pool.

Thanks!

Do NOT wear a t-shirt and shorts for dinner. Stick with your "cute" clothes.

For dailywear onboard, you'll find that on your sea days you'll be wearing a bathing suit and cover up all day. So don't overpack because if you're by the pool and then decide to go have some lunch, play trivia, bingo, whatever, you're certainly not gonna wanna go back to your cabin to change. (You can wear your coverup in the MDR for bfast and lunch, as well as the Windjammer.)

When I work out on a cruise it's always in the same thing I work out in at home. A tank top and bicycle shorts. Most people wont be "checking you out" in the gym.

At night after dinner, I don't change, whether it's a casual night (when I wear pants and a nice top or a dress or skirt) or formal.

Edit: RCCL's balcony doors slide open, unlike Carnival where they open like doors and BANG shut (who designed these things?) and annoy everyone. So I don't think you need anything to prop it open.

I hope that helps!

First of all, have a great time!

Next, don't worry about looking "cute" by the pool or the gym. It's a vacation. Just relax. Be comfortable and just worry about having fun. I wear shorts and a t-shirt or a cover up to the pool most days, and you're going to the gym to work out, not for a fashion show. You will be surprised by what you see people wear. If you normally put on makeup for the gym, do it, but why start now if you don't? It's very laid back.

For the zipline in labadee, don't wear flipflops. Make sure that you have shorts with a pocket that will close so you can put your seapass card in there. Also, definitely bring your camera--if it has a strap. You will want to take pictures from the top. The view is amazing!

I don't know where you're stopping, but you may want to do a search on those port-of-call forums to see if there are cheap internet cafes so you can check e-mail. You can also buy a package of a certain amount of minutes for the RC package.

Finally, as for drinks, I'm not a coconut girl, but soda water instead of tonic will save you quite a few calories. As amybeth said, the list of drinks is pretty impressive.

Again, it's your vacation, so just go and relax. Don't worry about if you're dressed right or whatever. You'll be fine.

Your balcony door will stay open on it's own, but your AC won't work properly while the door is open. In the Caribbean, it's mighty HUMID and sticky....close the door and don't make the AC work so hard!

You don't have to look "cute" at all----and most are NOT dressed up during daytime activities or ashore. Most folks will be in bathing suits/cover-ups for most of the day.

Congratulations on your romantic getaway. You will love being alone and not having the kids to deal with. DH & I are going in May without kids cuz the 2 cruises we took with our 2 teens just had no privacy and were all about them instead of "us"!!!!

Don't stress about what to wear. Be comfortable. Whatever you want to wear for your man should be all you need to think about. "Will he like me in this" uh huh go with it!;)

Whatever you want to wear for your man should be all you need to think about. "Will he like me in this" uh huh go with it!;)

That's what I was thinking. Just make sure you husband likes it - don't worry about the others. And make sure he likes it because...well I don't need to post the rest.

Congrats on your ADULT vacation. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. I know you'll miss the kids but try and enjoy one another. Happy Vacation!!

Thanks everyone! This was very helpful. It was just so weird when I started pulling things this morning and was suddenly like, "Wait a minute... all these things are Mom clothes!" and then I panicked. I mean my Mickey Mouse backpack is fine for a vacation bag when I fill it with juice & diapers but it didn't look quite right for just hubby and I.

If I recall on my last cruise I think I finally settled on day two with just Parrot Bay and pineapple juice as my basic drink.

Thanks everyone! This was very helpful. It was just so weird when I started pulling things this morning and was suddenly like, "Wait a minute... all these things are Mom clothes!" and then I panicked. I mean my Mickey Mouse backpack is fine for a vacation bag when I fill it with juice & diapers but it didn't look quite right for just hubby and I.

If I recall on my last cruise I think I finally settled on day two with just Parrot Bay and pineapple juice as my basic drink.

I usually carry a Vera Bradley bag on the cruise...its cute and I don't have to worry about it. well I mean I carry it in ports...I don't carry anythign on the boat but my seapass;)

make sure you pack casual comfy clothes for the boat days...you will not want to be dressed up...you will want to be comfortable;)

Do you all try to look cute all the time? Or are there plenty of t-shirts and jean shorts? I think I have some pretty cute outfits for dinner, white capris and a satin shirt for example, and I have my formal outfit bought and dh is bringing a suit (we like to buy a few photos) but what about just randomly on the boat... what do you wear?

Do you look cute when you workout in the gym or just wear shorts & t-shirt?

!

Wear your "cute" stuff to dinner. Forget about "looking cute" or wearing "outfits" for daytime; as someone said, it's not a fashion show, and most people will be in bathing suit/cover up or shorts and a t-shirt all day.

And if you're going to the gym, presumably it is to work out, so wear work out clothes! If you want to "look cute," put on an "outfit" and walk around the promenade or something. :rolleyes:

Congratulations of your vacation!! My husband and I always say it is a vacation when it is the 2 of us, and a trip when we have the kids with us;). Take your fun clothes, there are few opportunities as a busy mom to wear your "fun" going out clothes. If you want to wear cute coordinating gym clothes, then do it!! What ever makes you feel good!! I pack a little differently when it is just my husband and myself going away. I have extra time to spend on ME!!! So, I usually take a few extra things, fun beach wraps, cover-ups etc!!

Have a great time!!

Archived