Dress code for 7 year old

patnjohn

You are going to get many different answers to this question.

When my boys were younger no one ever stopped them when they went to the dining room in khaki shorts and a collared shirt. So I would say it's OK at 7 years old. A skort is absolutely fine.

Now that they are older they have to wear pants in the dining room. They have been stopped and told to change. Not the first night ( it is very casual that night) but for the rest of the cruise.

My daughter was 8 on her first cruise, and wore quite a few skorts. After all, a skort is just a skirt with less chance of accidental exposure (which is what my daughter and I both like most about them - she still wears them). She also wore dresses and capris, but I don't think she ever wore shorts - but then I was the one choosing her outfits. Fortunately for me, even now she is quite accommodating when I 'suggest' she wears something in particular - so when we cruise I get to see her dressed up more often than pretty much the rest of the year outside of piano recitals! :p I just love to see her dressed up, though; I think a good rule of thumb is whether or not you would consider an outfit good enough to wear to school or church.

Something else to keep in mind is that dining rooms in the evening are often chilly. The air conditioning has been on all day and the sun is going - or has gone - down, so shorts might actually be a little cool. On our most recent cruise, my daughter had to return to our cabin between courses and grab something with long sleeves because we'd forgotten about it ourselves! :o

Technically no on shorts, Skorts might get by. It will really depend on who is manning the desk when you check in at the dining room. Any reason she can't put on an actual skirt of pair of non jeans pants? or as you mention, sundresses would be lovely.

I saw one post on the NCL web site that kids under 12 could wear shorts in any dining room but I'd confirm with them before doing that. On the other hand skorts shouldn't be a problem since it looks like a short skirt. We will pack a few for our 6 year old. Also, our kids like to eat in the casual buffet restaurant and hit the kids club. Shorts aren't a problem at all in that restaurant and we like it as well since that frees the adults up for a nice dinner later and then some time alone.

Will my 7 year old granddaughter be allowed in dining room at night in shorts??? Should I just pack a lot of sundresses instead? What about skorts?

No shorts period..It is always a good idea to have the kids dress the same way we do..Sun dresses or cute pants would be the acceptable attire for her.

Nita

No shorts period..It is always a good idea to have the kids dress the same way we do..Sun dresses or cute pants would be the acceptable attire for her.

Nita

Not according to the Welcome Aboard booklet for my cruise next month. Children 12 and under are permitted to wear shorts in any dining room at any time...and if my memory serves me correctly that has been the rule for some time.

Not according to the Welcome Aboard booklet for my cruise next month. Children 12 and under are permitted to wear shorts in any dining room at any time...and if my memory serves me correctly that has been the rule for some time.

well then I guess I stand corrected. I have never seen a kids in the MDR in shorts for dinner and have seen the question asked before.

Guess we can all learn something daily.

Nita

Thank you all for your input. I am going to buy some new sundresses for her. She has a few skorts. NO SHORTS FOR HER - just to be on the safe side.

I am assuming breakfast & lunch are ok for shorts, as I wear them myself then.

Thanks again.

Thank you all for your input. I am going to buy some new sundresses for her. She has a few skorts. NO SHORTS FOR HER - just to be on the safe side.

I am assuming breakfast & lunch are ok for shorts, as I wear them myself then.

Thanks again.

yes, breakfast and lunch shorts are fine anywhere on the ship.

Nita

My teenage daughter FROZE in the dining room -- I think she would have turned into a popsicle if she'd been wearing sundresses. As it was I usually had a sweater with me that she'd put over her legs, and she either wore a jacket or a sweater in to dinner each night.

I normally run pretty warm, but I even found the dining room to be on the cool side. We thought it might be because the waiters are hustling so hard that they keep it cool enough for them.

Will my 7 year old granddaughter be allowed in dining room at night in shorts??? Should I just pack a lot of sundresses instead? What about skorts?

Part of it probably depends on what ship you will be on. The Sky allows shorts in one of the 2 dining rooms for everybody, not just little ones.

That makes sense according to my past experiences with my kids. Thank you for clarifying that it's stated in the welcome aboard booklet.

Archived