Smart Casual - the debate

blitznbobs

I have to say that the rude comments about the second outfit (knit-looking greenish pantsuit) make me a little sad. While not everyone would wear it, I'm not sure it's necessary to be so insulting to people who would wear that outfit or something similar. I know plenty of women who would and do wear things like that, and I'm sure there are women on this website who would, too.

Fashion is fun, it's true, but it's not top priority for everyone. I don't think people should be so harshly judged for choosing clothes that are affordable and comfortable for them. It's neither compassionate nor classy to be rude about it.

Just my two cents, of course.

I love this top....where did you find it????

To be clear, I don't own that top, was just posting it as something similar to what I'd wear. I have a top that I purchased at Nordstrom's last fall that is somewhat similar to that, which is why I chose that picture.

I have to say that the rude comments about the second outfit (knit-looking greenish pantsuit) make me a little sad. While not everyone would wear it, I'm not sure it's necessary to be so insulting to people who would wear that outfit or something similar. I know plenty of women who would and do wear things like that, and I'm sure there are women on this website who would, too.

Fashion is fun, it's true, but it's not top priority for everyone. I don't think people should be so harshly judged for choosing clothes that are affordable and comfortable for them. It's neither compassionate nor classy to be rude about it.

I don't think its rude after all this is the fashion broad..I also think it is just everyones way of some what kindly not to wear this stuff. Yes you can be on a limited budget and still dress well.:)

I understand your point, but "dressing well" means something different to everyone. Labeling a fairly neutral outfit (and by association, the people who wear it) as tacky, cheap, unacceptable, etc. is just unnecessary.

I think the biggest problem for me with the outfit and this is just my thoughts on it. It reminds me of when most women over 60 were just old and frumpy. I remember when I was a little girl wondering why so few women who were older seemed to make and effort to look good.

Now today most women over 60 still look great.

But then again I am also one of those people that dos'nt get mens tee shirts on women. I know other will say there comffy. But to me they are frumpy. And yes you are right. There are many diff fashion styles.

And what I see as frumpy someone else might not.

Leigh:)

The picture was directed at women who wear that type of outfit and then say jeans are never appropriate for the dining room. I was trying to make a point.

I am definitely not the age of most of you. I am 70+ and consider myself a good dresser. Not around my house, though.:eek: I would never think of wearing jeans (even in younger and thinner years) on a cruise ship. That knit outfit is something not to my liking -- Florida casual for me, i.e., the dentist, would be khakis and a nice t-shirt.

On a ship on casual nights, I would and do wear (as an example) white pants and an Eileen Fisher tank and matching shawl jacket. For the first or last nights I would opt for white cotton pants and a hot pink tank with a white and floral embroidered jacket over it.

The knit outfit might be fine on someone else, but it's much too frumpy for me. I may age, but will never get old.;)

The picture was directed at women who wear that type of outfit and then say jeans are never appropriate for the dining room. I was trying to make a point.

Yes, but the problem is, those type women probably never post at a fashion forum. I think we all agree that outfit AND jeans are not smart casual for premium mainstream lines. However, I am sure you will see both on lines such as Carnival and NCL whose suggested dress codes are not as strict.

I also wore my khaki slacks to dinner when I took a cruise on the NCL Pearl. Another night I wore a pair of white jeans. I would not dream of wearing either on HAL or Celebrity though,at dinner, no matter what others do.

I did see a man denied access to the dining room on HAL Zuiderdam for wearing jeans, but even if some don't get thrown out-I wouldn't do it-because those lines frown on it.

I may age, but will never get old.[/b];)

Woo hoo, Esther! There ya go! ;)

Right now, it's 5:30pm, 23 degrees and it's been snowing since 10:30am. I'm sitting here wearing a long heather gray sweatshirt, black leggings, black wool socks and black slippers with faux fur. Talk about frump galore! I am wearing large silver hoops, mascara and lipstick from my dog walk earlier. Still frumpy, you bet! :D

Sorry, about the ot. I already posted with the person ripping her hair out regarding this smart casual "debate". I always dress appropriately, it's just second nature to me. ;)

well, I do have to mention that my dear MIL used to wear those types of outfits, the so-called "frumpy" ones with elastic waist and pullover shirt, because they were the only type of clothing she could get on & off easily by herself. She had horrible, painful arthritis and couldn't manage buttons, snaps, zippers, closures, or anything close-fitting.

I'm sure she would have preferred something more fashionable, and I am sure there are many other women in the same boat ... so to speak.

well, I do have to mention that my dear MIL used to wear those types of outfits, the so-called "frumpy" ones with elastic waist and pullover shirt, because they were the only type of clothing she could get on & off easily by herself. She had horrible, painful arthritis and couldn't manage buttons, snaps, zippers, closures, or anything close-fitting.

I'm sure she would have preferred something more fashionable, and I am sure there are many other women in the same boat ... so to speak.

I'm sure some will take this the wrong way, and I mean no disrespect (I used to work at the Arthritis Foundation...). But there are always choices one can make. For example, it takes no more effort to pull on a pair of silk elastic-waist pants, a silk tee-shirt and a silk loose-fitting jacket than the outfit mentioned above. Eileen Fisher makes many easy pieces like these.

shim.gif

Now if you say that your MIL had other things to worry about besides dressing well, I'd give you no argument. Heaven knows arthritis is no joke. But to say that she couldn't find any other clothing options is simply not the case.

My mom liked Alfred Dunner stuff, which was pretty much that, just slightly less frumpy. That was her casual day wear. But if it was going to church or soemthing else like that, she would dress to the nines. My mom loved nice clothes.

I'm sure some will take this the wrong way, and I mean no disrespect (I used to work at the Arthritis Foundation...). But there are always choices one can make. For example, it takes no more effort to pull on a pair of silk elastic-waist pants, a silk tee-shirt and a silk loose-fitting jacket than the outfit mentioned above. Eileen Fisher makes many easy pieces like these.

shim.gif

Now if you say that your MIL had other things to worry about besides dressing well, I'd give you no argument. Heaven knows arthritis is no joke. But to say that she couldn't find any other clothing options is simply not the case.

I don't exactly "take it the wrong way," except as I mentioned previously, that many of those you see wearing that type outfit are living off social security and do not have good pensions. The clothing you mention is considerbly more expensive.

shim.gif

Hi:)...her stuff is awfully expensive:eek: but I get your drift...the style

is pretty.

Dillard's has great sales on EF. As does Neiman and Nordy's. Rarely will I spend full price (but sometimes..................:o) Her styles are classic and will never go out of style. I am a classic dresser and if I could still fit into clothes from the 60's, they'd still be in style.

I don't exactly "take it the wrong way," except as I mentioned previously, that many of those you see wearing that type outfit are living off social security and do not have good pensions. The clothing you mention is considerbly more expensive.

Hi:)...her stuff is awfully expensive:eek: but I get your drift...the style

is pretty.

Point taken; but you can easily duplicate her style with less expensive lines. J Jill, for example, has a lot of similar-type comfortable but stylish pieces. One can find easy pieces at places like Steinmart as well. Or, I'm sure there are other places....

Okay, please don't kill me for this but I think it is an generation thing. I am 42 for the record. I have some very nice and very expensive jeans, but my mom thinks jeans look sloppy. She wouldn't even buy me a pair until I was 7. If I pay $150 for a pair of jeans I am going to wear them, everywhere. I have worn jeans with pearls, heels and a silk halter to very nice restaurants, never felt under dressed.. Jeans pack well and are versatile. We can debate this forever, but Americans are becoming more casual.

Okay, please don't kill me for this but I think it is an generation thing. I am 42 for the record. I have some very nice and very expensive jeans, but my mom thinks jeans look sloppy. She wouldn't even buy me a pair until I was 7. If I pay $150 for a pair of jeans I am going to wear them, everywhere. I have worn jeans with pearls, heels and a silk halter to very nice restaurants, never felt under dressed.. Jeans pack well and are versatile. We can debate this forever, but Americans are becoming more casual.

Hi, nobody is going to kill you.;)

Your post is your opinion, right?:D Because to make a blanket statement

like jeans pack well? In my opinion, they take up more space than many

of materials and don't pack well....see what I am saying? And as for paying $150.00 for them? I am 10 years older than you so

I guess that would be about 1/2 generation difference:).....Its not in my genes;) to pay that much for any slacks, jeans, etc...

(punn intendend) LOL but glad you are happy with your jeans!...

I don't see where the cost issue should come into it.

For example, let's say I spent $335 for my Mephisto walking shoes:

https://www.mephistoshoes.com/store/catalog/Rush-for-Women-p-21.html

Does that mean I should be allowed to wear them to the dining room? :rolleyes:

(The above is just for purposes of analogy. I would NOT buy those shoes! :D)

Sadly so. I'm lucky that my daughter, age 43, dresses and my granddaughter, 21, dresses, also. Sure they own jeans, but wouldn't take them on a cruise.

Point taken; but you can easily duplicate her style with less expensive lines. J Jill, for example, has a lot of similar-type comfortable but stylish pieces. One can find easy pieces at places like Steinmart as well. Or, I'm sure there are other places....

It's true someone can spend less to get a similar look but much of this is about a comfort zone. People at a certain age become creatures of habit. Maybe going into a J Jill is intimidating or perhaps, the person doesn't feel the need to buy a new outfit if the one they have in their closet still fits and looks fine. Not everyone is interested in styles and fashion. They feel if their clothes are neat and clean then they look fine.

I have a feeling 20 years from now, many women will be wearing their jeans to dressy events and younger people will think they are "out of style". Heck if I look back to the jeans we wore 20 years ago, I cringe. Our hot looks are akin to today's MOM jeans. LOL

H:)i...I am sailing out of NJ in May with one stop in Boston:D:):D

Daytime attire? And I have been to Boston only once....went to

the downtown area...Freedom Trail area? Wondering what you

might recommend if I choose not to a ship excursion..daytime

would be casual I am sure;)

I understand the thought that if you pay an amount of money for something, that you need to justify that expenditure by getting your money's worth out of them. But just a suggestion you might want to consider a less expensive brand in the same style and use the savings to invest in some pieces that are dressier.

Americans are definitely becoming more casual but there are also some places that jeans are not appropriate, no matter how dressed up they are. I was thrilled recently when my sons had a football banquet and the invitation specifically said: NO JEANS, Shirt and Tie Mandatory. Every young man adhered to the dress code but there were moms at the event....in jeans. :rolleyes:

Archived