Video show how the dining room is cleared after a big meal

Cuizer2

When I was a pre-teen I was on a cruise like that with my family (late 60's). I was the only member of our family who was not sea sick - besides my mom who had to care for everyone else!:o Heck - the ship's DOCTOR was sick! It was a very small Spanish ship named the SS Izarra. I think all the passenger cabins had portholes. I distinctly remember lying in my bunk and watching the waves through our porthole and we were on, I think, the 4th or 5th deck! One night I was one of the very few in the small (only 1) dining room and we were rolling back and forth, back and forth. I could hear plates crashing in the kitchen and the chairs started sliding - not quite as dramatically as in that video but scary all the same!:eek: I don't think I ate much for a couple days!! I also remember hearing from grandma that my grandpa had to fish his false teeth out of the commode!! YUCCHH!!

I'm the only person who gets sea sick and still can't wait for my next cruise. I've tried everything from Ginger capsules to "the Patch" to an electronic bracelet....but I still ususally get green the first day or two.

Getting ready to sail this coming Wednesday on the Gem from NYC.....this will be our third sailing from NYC and I can tell you that this video reminded me of our first day at sea on the Noordam and the Gem.

Got the Dramamine at the ready and can't wait to sail and get to some warm weather, a nice beach, and a lot of fun.

Sea Sickness be damned!!

I'm the only person who gets sea sick and still can't wait for my next cruise. I've tried everything from Ginger capsules to "the Patch" to an electronic bracelet....but I still ususally get green the first day or two.

Getting ready to sail this coming Wednesday on the Gem from NYC.....this will be our third sailing from NYC and I can tell you that this video reminded me of our first day at sea on the Noordam and the Gem.

Got the Dramamine at the ready and can't wait to sail and get to some warm weather, a nice beach, and a lot of fun.

Sea Sickness be damned!!

Good for you woodburykt!

My dad is 83 and gets seasick every time he cruises, but LOVES cruising and goes as often as he can!! :)

The wierd thing is, it stops so suddenly. I woudl think if you were in rough seas it woud be for a while unless they just hit a freak series of extra large waves.

(PS: I saw people wearing jeans!:D)

I noticed how the the ship seemed to stop rocking all at once too, Lowtyde.

The funniest part (I'm so mean) is about midway through the video, after watching just objects flying by, you see one guy on his butt mixed in!! LMAO!!! Good stuff.

The wierd thing is, it stops so suddenly. I woudl think if you were in rough seas it woud be for a while unless they just hit a freak series of extra large waves.

It looked like they turned the ship into the waves . You can see items sliding from left to right ,then to side to side.

Should have orderd the Jello :eek:

It looked like they turned the ship into the waves . You can see items sliding from left to right ,then to side to side.

Should have orderd the Jello :eek:

I was thinking that is what might have happend. We had to to that on the QE2 once and whole ship listed. We had a 5 minute warning before the turn.

LOL @ the jello. I have visions of "Airplane" running through my head.

Wink. Yes, I did a double take on that when the guy slid by. Look at the help in the back ground just doing their thing.

I'm not sure, but off the top of my head I seem to recall that this incident occurred because of a steering malfunction on the ship, not because of bad weather.

Wow! That was some misfunction then!:eek:

Yikes. I thought I had it bad back in 1997 on the Pacific Princess (the original Love Boat). We were in rough seas on the Mediterranean and during dinner in the main dining room, the plates and silverware on many of the tables all slid off the tables. Also, a bunch of plates fell off the side tables that the wait staff use. It was a bit scary but nothing like this video.

Pretty scary!

Funny you noticed that Sandy, I noticed women walking barefoot. They probably were wearing high heels and couldn't walk in them. Maybe this a good reason to wear flip flops with those jeans? lol :D

Yikes. I thought I had it bad back in 1997 on the Pacific Princess (the original Love Boat). We were in rough seas on the Mediterranean and during dinner in the main dining room, the plates and silverware on many of the tables all slid off the tables. Also, a bunch of plates fell off the side tables that the wait staff use. It was a bit scary but nothing like this video.

Back in October 2008, (Boston to Bermuda) when we were on the Norwegian Dream, we had two days of SERIOUSLY INTENSE rockin' and rollin'. All that you heard was CRASH, SMASH, SMASH, CRASH......!!! :eek:

In the Dining Rooms, at the Bars, in cabins (our TV, stereo stuff, glassware, champagne stand and two chairs all got tossed and crashed...!!!) all you heard was breaking items. The elevators were closed down for two days, paintings were rocking to and fro on the walls. You would see people just sliding across the halls and rooms. It was kind of comical, as long as you didn't see people get hurt.

My DH and I did NOT get sick, I DON'T know how that happened, because ALL AROUND US were sick people, including many, many of the crew.

Quite a few people were injured and there were over ten ambulances at the dock when we arrived in Bermuda to take people away. I heard later from the Internet staff guy, that quite a few people got off the ship and flew back home. They were too afraid to take a chance going home on the ship. As it turned out it was VERY, VERY smooth going back to Boston.

Our Dining Room experiences were pretty wild too, just about every waiter was catapulted across the room with flying trays. We had to keep hanging on to the table, our plates, silverware and glasses as the ship rocked back and forth.

But, our experience was NOTHING like this video.....!!! WOW.....!!! :eek: :eek:

It can be intense.. I have pictures ( that my laughing hysterically ) wife took on the American Hawaii cruises "Independence" back in 1987 of me being tossed out of the pool , literally onto the deck after a set of large waves. They were those small pools that held about 10 people .. The ship had no stabilizers.

It was great Fun ;)

It can be intense.. I have pictures ( that my laughing hysterically ) wife took on the American Hawaii cruises "Independence" back in 1987 of me being tossed out of the pool , literally onto the deck after a set of large waves. They were those small pools that held about 10 people .. The ship had no stabilizers.

It was great Fun ;)

So, post them.

A while back there were some photos online of a cruise ship in waters off England in heavy seas where the back of the ship was almost under water. I think it was the old NCL Wind after it was sold to another cruise line.

Not sure I still have them will check and post if I can find.

Sea Sickness be damned!!

Try bonine or dramamine 2...You can take twice the dosage recommended on the box safely

Archived