How many ships is "a lot" in St Thomas port?

ntengwall

I'm just wondering what is considered "a lot of ships" in the port of St Thomas at one time? When we get there (March 23rd), there will be 2 other ships there. I noticed on the schedule that sometimes there are as many as 6 ships there on the same day!

Three ships is not crowded, unless one is Oasis, but I don't think she goes there. Six would be fairly crowded. At lot would be more than six in my opinion. I have been there with six ships in port, and since our destination was a beach less known by cruisers, it wasn't bad.

There were 5 or 6 when we were there, including a few "big" ones (Freedom included). I thought it would be really crowded, but was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so bad. I'm sure the more popular beaches were more crowded than usual (or so I've been told), but we went to Sapphire Beach, somewhat off the beaten path. We did make sure to leave the beach early just to make sure we had enough time to get back - one never knows with traffic. ;)

I'm just wondering what is considered "a lot of ships" in the port of St Thomas at one time? When we get there (March 23rd), there will be 2 other ships there. I noticed on the schedule that sometimes there are as many as 6 ships there on the same day!

My sister lives 1/2 the year on the East End of the island. She says they never go downtown when there are 6 or more ships in port. This was before Oasis.

We are on the INDY and we will be in St. Thomas on the 24th so you won't have to worry about us...However sorry to say you will be in port on the 23rd with the OASIS....Yikes...:eek:..That was something we took notice of when booking the INDY for Mar 20th..Although we will be leaving Port Everglades at the same time she is, so that will be fun to see her then rather than in one of our ports..Hope you dock before her and can get into town before the rush....Have a wonderful cruise with your kids...:D

I just looked up the port info for you and besides the Explorer, there will be the Norwegian Pearl, Carnival Liberty and Ruby Princess. Total passengers will be 13,009, so not a small amount, but not the worst either! I guess the crowds will depend on where you want to go, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a great cruise with your boys!:)

Archived