where would you fish??

PG13

We're taking the Princess cruise to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, their private island and Turks, and my DH says he would like to fish. He mentioned light tackle as opposed to deep sea, so where would you go? The experts out there usually have folks they trust and have used for excursions. We did halibut fishing this summer with a great company suggested by cruise experts here and it was GREAT, we're stilll enjoying that catch. Where would you fish? Would you go deep sea or light takle? Princess has one light tackle tri,p but it is very expensive and catch adn release. Is that usual? I wish they would just let me go along for the ride, I really don't want to fish, but love watching DH fish. He has recently been diagnosed with early onset parkinsens desease and won't be able to fish easily one day soon and this might be the last best chance to do this. He loves to fish and do it a lot here in Michigan. So, where have you gone - all you fisherman and who did you go with. Got a favorite? Who have you used and loved,who went that extra mile? Which island? Tthanks ahead of time, Pat

On Caribbean cruises, we have chartered deep sea boats 3 times in Aruba, and in once in St Lucia and done well.

However, your itinerary appears to be different.

We looked at St Thomas but 1/2 day charters there are twice the price of other Islands.

We do not do cruise line charters. We explore on the internet and exchange emails with the skippers and find we can charter a good boat for just the two of us for about the same price as sharing a boat offered as a cruise line tour.

While we prefer deep sea fishing, you may be more comfortable with a light tackle trip.

We do a deep sea charter on all of our Caribbean cruises and have a charter set up in Roatan in February.

Have a great cruise and remember it is called fishing and not catching.

P&J

On Caribbean cruises, we have chartered deep sea boats 3 times in Aruba, and in once in St Lucia and done well.

However, your itinerary appears to be different.

We looked at St Thomas but 1/2 day charters there are twice the price of other Islands.

We do not do cruise line charters. We explore on the internet and exchange emails with the skippers and find we can charter a good boat for just the two of us for about the same price as sharing a boat offered as a cruise line tour.

While we prefer deep sea fishing, you may be more comfortable with a light tackle trip.

We do a deep sea charter on all of our Caribbean cruises and have a charter set up in Roatan in February.

Have a great cruise and remember it is called fishing and not catching.

P&J

Oh so true we do a lot of fishing and some catching here. I think my DH was thinking light tackle because I had a really hard time handling the rigs when we halibut fished in Alaska. The tackle was really heavy, I mean really heavy!! we had one pound sinker, my arms got so tired, it was bottom fishing, jigging. Anyway, I'll wait and see if we get any more information. I'll keep Aruba and Rortan in mind for next year.

Thanks so much.

We're taking the Princess cruise to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, their private island and Turks, and my DH says he would like to fish. He mentioned light tackle as opposed to deep sea, so where would you go? The experts out there usually have folks they trust and have used for excursions. We did halibut fishing this summer with a great company suggested by cruise experts here and it was GREAT, we're stilll enjoying that catch. Where would you fish? Would you go deep sea or light takle? Princess has one light tackle tri,p but it is very expensive and catch adn release. Is that usual? I wish they would just let me go along for the ride, I really don't want to fish, but love watching DH fish. He has recently been diagnosed with early onset parkinsens desease and won't be able to fish easily one day soon and this might be the last best chance to do this. He loves to fish and do it a lot here in Michigan. So, where have you gone - all you fisherman and who did you go with. Got a favorite? Who have you used and loved,who went that extra mile? Which island? Tthanks ahead of time, Pat

Of all the destinations you mention, I would say your best odds for inshore (light tackle) is Grand Turk. They have some quality bonefishing there, but it is a catch and release fishery (besides, bonefish are not edible). St Thomas' offshore fishery is for Blue Marlin, far offshore on the North Drop, so you would not have enough time to do that while on a cruise visit. You didn't mention when you are going, but the marlin fishing is around the full moons of the summer months. I would imagine all of the islands you are going to have a great inshore fishery, but I have never researched it. Eluthera, where Princess Cays is located is known for their inshore fishing, but I am not sure where you can do it related to the Princess Cays compound.

The fish shown in Colo's picture is a Yellowtail Snapper...excellent eating and very common throughout the Caribbean. That one looks like it was caught from the balcony off Princess Cays. I would bet the chef could do it justice aboard the ship....Bahamian Style (whole) stuffed with lobster or sauteed in lemon butter!

Last time I was in Aruba, I too caught a bunch of dolphin (mahi) and several wahoo. However, be prepared for lumpy seas there.

The fishing in the Bahamas is awesome and very underrated, look into bone fishing the flats, its fun, Turks would be the other option for light tackle.

Of all the destinations you mention, I would say your best odds for inshore (light tackle) is Grand Turk. They have some quality bonefishing there, but it is a catch and release fishery (besides, bonefish are not edible). St Thomas' offshore fishery is for Blue Marlin, far offshore on the North Drop, so you would not have enough time to do that while on a cruise visit. You didn't mention when you are going, but the marlin fishing is around the full moons of the summer months. I would imagine all of the islands you are going to have a great inshore fishery, but I have never researched it. Eluthera, where Princess Cays is located is known for their inshore fishing, but I am not sure where you can do it related to the Princess Cays compound.

The fish shown in Colo's picture is a Yellowtail Snapper...excellent eating and very common throughout the Caribbean. That one looks like it was caught from the balcony off Princess Cays. I would bet the chef could do it justice aboard the ship....Bahamian Style (whole) stuffed with lobster or sauteed in lemon butter!

Last time I was in Aruba, I too caught a bunch of dolphin (mahi) and several wahoo. However, be prepared for lumpy seas there.

We sail April 3.

you are my hero, that has be one of the better pics I have ever seen on this site

Were you fishing from your balcony as was suggeseted here for someone?? While in port? Trolling?

Would you all just look up fishing on the internet??

Were you fishing from your balcony as was suggeseted here for someone?? While in port? Trolling?

Would you all just look up fishing on the internet??

I'm putting it back out there in hopes of more fishing folks helping out.

Archived