Celebrity Cruise on Infinity through Panama

Rosie Cruiser

Has anyone been on this cruise ? would you recommend it?

Would you recommend a balcony and what's the best level.

Any recommendations on the food too?

Thanks

We are on the 4/25/10 Infinity through the canal. If you go to the Infinity roll call forum there is LOTS of info. A couple on our cruise does this cruise every spring, this will be their 14th transit!

Thanks

I did the Panama Canal on Connie in December and loved it. I have been on Infinity before as well (excepting the color of the carpets, those two are almost the exact same in terms of layout.)

It was a great cruise. All of the decks give a great view on Canal day.

The cost of rooms on your deck is more closely tied to how many stops the elevators make between your room and Deck 10. More elevator stops = you are on a lower deck = cheaper $. Generally.

We did this cruise last April and loved the experience. It is well worth taking. The weather is definately hot enough to enjoy a balcony.

If you want a truly wonderful dining experience try the SS (pay restaurant). We had three meals there and all were wonderful.

Thanks

We did the Panama crossing on the Infinity as part of the repositioning cruise from South America, from Santiago, Chile, to Ft. Lauderdale, in late March last year. The crossing is certainly worth the trip. We had a veranda cabin on the Panorama deck on the starboard side. From the Pacific to the Atlantic crossing, you first cross under a spectacular bridge, the Bridge of the Americas, once the only highway connection between North and South America, and then into the first pair of locks. A short cruise of one mile across a small lake gets you to the third and last lock on the Pacific side, raising you a total of 87 ft above sea level. Then eight miles through a narrow, one lane channel which leads into Gatun lake, where you'll travel in the left most of two shipping lanes. This is a large lake, and it takes a couple of hours to finally reach the locks on the Atlantic side. There, you'll go through three locks in succession, and finally into the Atlantic.

We parked ourselves in the Constellation Lounge at the front of the Sunrise deck for the entry into the cannal area. This lounge has large windows affording an excellent view of the channel. To get the first row of seats, arrive at least two hours prior to starting through the canal. We ended up in the 2nd row which wasn't bad at all. While sipping coffee, nibbling on pastries, we glided up to the first locks.

Panama%201.JPG

There was a lot of traffic that day - 40+ ships. You can see some of the congestion in the next photo. We entered the first locks into the starboard path - there are two side by side.

Entering%20canal.JPG

After the first two locks we sent down onto the helipad for a close up view of the gates in the third lock. The helipad can be reached by entering the Celebrity Theatre on the port side of deck 5, the Entertainment deck. Follow the last row of chairs all the way towards the front of the theatre and you'll find a metal door that leads out the the helipad. The view here is fantastic, and you really feel like you are in the lock.

Helipad-Panama%20Canal%201.JPG

During the the first part of the channel transit we had breakfast on the rear deck behind the Oceanview Grill on the Resort deck and were able to watch the canal walls passing close to the ship. It's a narrow channel wide enough for only one ship at a time.

Panama%20channel%20wall.JPG

We spent the rest of the transit through Lake Gatun and the last locks on our veranda. We got lucky and entered these locks with our veranda facing the adjacent lock. From the comfort of our veranda and stateroom we had a spectacular view.

Canal.JPG

For the next hour or so we watched as a large container ship in the other lane squeezed into each lock, and saw how it was all done.

Panama%20squeeze.JPG

We ate in the MDR most nights, and were fully satisfied. One night we ate in the casual dining area on the starboord side of the buffet area. Each evening this is turned into a restuarant, with waiter service. The menu here was quite good, and some nights there is a theme menu. We also ate in the SS United States, the speciality restaurant on board. It was worth it, with impeccable service, and wonderful food.

I'm certain you will enjoy this cruise, through one of the wonders of the modern world!

We were on Infinity Panama canal transit and we loved it. We had an aft balcony cabin 7203 and enjoyed it very much. It is warm every where you go on that cruise so you will use that balcony quite a bit. Infinity is a lovely ship and you will have a great time on her.

Pat

We did the Panama crossing on the Infinity as part of the repositioning cruise from South America, from Santiago, Chile, to Ft. Lauderdale, in late March last year. The crossing is certainly worth the trip. We had a veranda cabin on the Panorama deck on the starboard side. From the Pacific to the Atlantic crossing, you first cross under a spectacular bridge, the Bridge of the Americas, once the only highway connection between North and South America, and then into the first pair of locks. A short cruise of one mile across a small lake gets you to the third and last lock on the Pacific side, raising you a total of 87 ft above sea level. Then eight miles through a narrow, one lane channel which leads into Gatun lake, where you'll travel in the left most of two shipping lanes. This is a large lake, and it takes a couple of hours to finally reach the locks on the Atlantic side. There, you'll go through three locks in succession, and finally into the Atlantic.

We parked ourselves in the Constellation Lounge at the front of the Sunrise deck for the entry into the cannal area. This lounge has large windows affording an excellent view of the channel. To get the first row of seats, arrive at least two hours prior to starting through the canal. We ended up in the 2nd row which wasn't bad at all. While sipping coffee, nibbling on pastries, we glided up to the first locks.

Panama%201.JPG

There was a lot of traffic that day - 40+ ships. You can see some of the congestion in the next photo. We entered the first locks into the starboard path - there are two side by side.

Entering%20canal.JPG

After the first two locks we sent down onto the helipad for a close up view of the gates in the third lock. The helipad can be reached by entering the Celebrity Theatre on the port side of deck 5, the Entertainment deck. Follow the last row of chairs all the way towards the front of the theatre and you'll find a metal door that leads out the the helipad. The view here is fantastic, and you really feel like you are in the lock.

Helipad-Panama%20Canal%201.JPG

During the the first part of the channel transit we had breakfast on the rear deck behind the Oceanview Grill on the Resort deck and were able to watch the canal walls passing close to the ship. It's a narrow channel wide enough for only one ship at a time.

Panama%20channel%20wall.JPG

We spent the rest of the transit through Lake Gatun and the last locks on our veranda. We got lucky and entered these locks with our veranda facing the adjacent lock. From the comfort of our veranda and stateroom we had a spectacular view.

Canal.JPG

For the next hour or so we watched as a large container ship in the other lane squeezed into each lock, and saw how it was all done.

Panama%20squeeze.JPG

We ate in the MDR most nights, and were fully satisfied. One night we ate in the casual dining area on the starboord side of the buffet area. Each evening this is turned into a restuarant, with waiter service. The menu here was quite good, and some nights there is a theme menu. We also ate in the SS United States, the speciality restaurant on board. It was worth it, with impeccable service, and wonderful food.

I'm certain you will enjoy this cruise, through one of the wonders of the modern world!

Sloopsailor thank you for posting.They are great pics! I will be on the same cruise on Infinity this year.

Try the concierge class..just a bit more $ but very nice service....

and yes if affordable, do a balcony at least....

we did 11 22 san to fll 12 5 this year....first try with Celebrity........HOOKED......go hooked so bad stayed on ship went back through canal and ended up in Valparaiso Chile...

..go to the celebrity infinity thread 11 22 panama canal....was a very active group.....agree with previous post.........I did 5 am constellation lounge....had front row million dollar seat for passage.....oddly....liked the west to east transit better than reverse......if funds available I really recommend the B2b.....repositioning cruise.....incredible value ...if you have time....

we just booked 2011.......valpo/ buenos aires (cape horn) and B2b with RT buenos aires antarctica....another 35 days...and got same concierge class cabin...

Just one more picture so you can see how close the ship is to the sides of the locks. We took this from the promanade deck and it was a sight to see, the picture doesn't do it justice.

2334115910105526181S600x600Q85.jpg

By all these pictures posted you can see why you must do the transit through the canal at least once in your life. It is a real treat.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...
We are on the 4/25/10 Infinity through the canal. If you go to the Infinity roll call forum there is LOTS of info. A couple on our cruise does this cruise every spring, this will be their 14th transit!

Thanks-- we will checkout the links provided.

we are considering this for Dec 2010 or 2011 from Fla to Chile through the Canal. on Infinity.. What type of paperwork (visas etc. ) & shots if any are needed? I expect we would try the new cruise air program for the return to NY via Miami---any info of a basic sort is appeciated...

Hi,

Heya, HCAT! :D

The Canal itineraries are our favorite. Our last time through the Canal on Infinity was in 2005, ending in San Francisco. We're booked to do it again on Infinity in April, 2011, ending in Seattle.

Private veranda are wonderful for allowing you to seek refuge from the press of the crowd at the railings, if that's something you'd prefer. But I think being in the crowd can also be part of the fun experience of the full transit of the Canal, particularly if you can get out on the bow.

As others have alluded to, get out & about early in the day and plan to enjoy the Canal experience from as many parts of the ship as you can — high up, far forward, far aft, in an air-conditioned lounge, etc. If it's an average transit you'll probably be in transit from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., or thereabouts.

Here's a couple of album links for one of our transits:

Album #1:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560332909twGjxj

Album #2:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560336924qXjWex

Have a GREAT cruise! Just as others of us, I think you're gonna be hooked!!!

CM

We took this same cruise back in September. Yes, I would highly recommend a balcony. We had a great time, it was very hot and humid but well worth it. We really enjoyed the specialty rest. the surf and turf (Brazilian Lobster) was the best, but very filling. The only thing I would suggest is do a tour from Celebrity when your in Columbia, that place scared me. It's beautiful as we cruised into Columbia, but once off the ship please beware! passengers that went on there own did not have a good experience.

Costa Rica was my one of my favorite ports, the people are very friendly. Panama Canal was great too.

Enjoy!

We did Infinity P/C canal cruise in Oct/Nov 2009. Great cruise. (I wrote a multi-part review for this forum. You might try to find it.) I had wanted to see the P/C ever since I first learned about it (4th grade?). Apparently I'm not the only one; it was interesting how many of our fellow pax expressed the same desire. It was the cruise with the largest number of intl pax we've ever been on.

We loved Infinity. We'd been on Summit and really prefer M-class to any other ships so maybe we're a little biased. The crew was wonderful, and the naturalist (I got the impression he lives on Inf) was a real plus.

Re verandas: we thought long and hard and decided to go for oceanview Penthouse (6) deck. We didn't regret not having a veranda. It was very hot and humid so we wouldn't have been out on the veranda very often anyway. (Whenever we passed in front of cabins with the doors open, we could feel the h/h.) The helipad and observation lounge (deck 11?) provided great front views. We spent hours on both. The preceding photos give a great preview of what you'll be seeing.

Yes, you'll have a great time on this cruise. Go for it.

M/R

We took this same cruise back in September. Yes, I would highly recommend a balcony. We had a great time, it was very hot and humid but well worth it. We really enjoyed the specialty rest. the surf and turf (Brazilian Lobster) was the best, but very filling. The only thing I would suggest is do a tour from Celebrity when your in Columbia, that place scared me. It's beautiful as we cruised into Columbia, but once off the ship please beware! passengers that went on there own did not have a good experience.

Costa Rica was my one of my favorite ports, the people are very friendly. Panama Canal was great too.

Enjoy!

Just off a Panama Canal transit and I beg to differ with you on your recommendation for Cartagena, Colombia. We hired a van on our own and had an excellent tour. Old town Cartagena was cleaner than downtown Minneapolis. That was the most interesting port on the cruise (not counting the canal as a port).

I agree with Linda. (we were on same cruise). We teamed up with another couple and hired a driver at the pier. We told him what we wanted to do (no fort, as we had been there before). We agreed with a price for the entire tour, per person. He spoke excellent English, and really did what we wanted to see and do.

It was extremely hot and humid the day we were there.

On previous trips to Cartagena we did take the tours from the ship, but found they were too long for us.

We never felt scared.

Enjoy the cruise, and I would also recommend a balcony.

Hi,

Heya, HCAT! :D

The Canal itineraries are our favorite. Our last time through the Canal on Infinity was in 2005, ending in San Francisco. We're booked to do it again on Infinity in April, 2011, ending in Seattle.

Private veranda are wonderful for allowing you to seek refuge from the press of the crowd at the railings, if that's something you'd prefer. But I think being in the crowd can also be part of the fun experience of the full transit of the Canal, particularly if you can get out on the bow.

As others have alluded to, get out & about early in the day and plan to enjoy the Canal experience from as many parts of the ship as you can — high up, far forward, far aft, in an air-conditioned lounge, etc. If it's an average transit you'll probably be in transit from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., or thereabouts.

Here's a couple of album links for one of our transits:

Album #1:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560332909twGjxj

Album #2:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560336924qXjWex

Have a GREAT cruise! Just as others of us, I think you're gonna be hooked!!!

CM

Hi Cal--hope all is well with you...We have done a partial tansit so know we will love the canal--most of my questions concern what happens in the South Ameria part of the transit we are looking at-- the cruise goes along the SA coast & ends in Chilee--then you fly home...maybe I'll try the SA boards...

enjoy your cruise!!!

Archived