Finding the best deal on Hotels

DDMau

I am not new to cruising or staying at hotels, but I am very new and have no clue to how priceline works. I have read how people get good deals on priceline but not how it works. I will be needing a pre cruise hotel in LA ( San Pedro) in April and a post cruise hotel in Vancouver BC in May. People say to book a hotel then priceline a hotel then cancel 1st hotel.

Does priceline give you hotels close to the cruise dock, I don't want to pay a high taxi fare to get to the dock and lose what I saved on the hotel.

So what is the best way to make sure I have a hotel in both places with the least amount of worry?

Just how does priceline work?

Thanks

Bofore you bid you put in your info about your stay. Where, when dates etc. Then a map will pop up and show the areas that have hotels available. Then you pick a star rating. If you click on star rating it will give you examples of hotels they deal with in that area. Then find the rating with hotels next to port or research each hotel seperately to see exactly were they are. Start your bid low ignore what they say about what rooms go for.Priceline is given rooms to sell for the hotels so I always start @50% less than that price then go up in 3-5 dollar increments. Just remember your bid price does not include taxes and or resort fees. I am going on a cruise out of Miami and got a 4 star hotel for 59 dollars before taxes. When I found out which hotel and checked on their site it was starting at 175.00 a night. With taxes I saved over 100 for the night. *****Just remeber like othere poster said once your bid is accepted it is final.***** Also check out Hotwire, have gotten really good deals there also. But like priceline dont know hotel till after your purchase, but you can pick the amenties according to star rating.

Also, check the port of calls boards for the West Coast. You will get a lot of information regarding what is near each hotel, what is included, free shuttles, etc. People are also quick to let you know if they've found a great bargain. I've gotten some terrific specials without having to use Priceline but the specials are rarely as good as Priceline.

If you absolutely have to know what hotel you are getting before you plunk down your money, then PL is not for you. If you are willing to accept a range of possibilities in a given area, then you have some of the mental temperment necessary to be happy with the PL experience.

As for distances...your PL hotel can be anywhere within the designated area for the "zone" you bid. Check the maps carefully, and if you can't abide by being anywhere in that zone, don't use PL.

You can pay for plenty of cab fares with the money you save.

FWIW, PL has a San Pedro zone and a Vancouver downtown zone. You could also choose to stay at the airport zone in Vancouver if you are just staying before your flight. There is a new rapid transit line to the airport, which you could use to head into downtown if staying at the airport area.

Another website which helps figure out the bidding process on Priceline and Hotwire is:

http://www.betterbidding.com/

I have no clue about San Pedro. However, Better Bidding helped me snag a great hotel for a post cruise stay in Vancouver.

On this page, Canadian hotels are listed alphabetically, so scroll way down for ones in Vancouver:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=98&

This forum below has a search function. Look for Vancouver wins:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=166

Vancouver zones are easy. I got 4* Pan Pacific for $82 + taxes + fees = US$103 for August 2009. Best online price was C$300.

We are also taking a cruise out of the Port of Los Angeles - February for us. I know from research that the only two 3.5 star hotels available via priceline (no star rating over that available) in the "San Pedro" city area are the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree. Both are very close to the port and the Crowne has a free shuttle (and I think the Doubletree does also). I didn't want anything less than 3.5 stars but there are certainly other hotels close also. Just be sure to check the "San Pedro" city area (not Long Beach or any of the surrounding areas). Anything in that area will be just a short trip to the port. It is very clear when you are on the site (before you have to finalize your bid).

All that being said, I have not been able to get Priceline to accept my low bid yet. So I have booked at the Residence Inn near our airport (LGB) and keep trying Priceline every few days. If they finally accept, I will cancel the Residence.

We saw a hotel on hotwire and booked it. It said Airport fll. but it is 9 miles away, no free shuttle, taxi $30 to port...... i was wondering , if i get a rental car when we land .And take it back to rental car lot next morning , will they shuttle me to port or just airport. would be cheaper for us to get ride from air port than hotel... Any thoughts?????:rolleyes:

We saw a hotel on hotwire and booked it. It said Airport fll. but it is 9 miles away, no free shuttle, taxi $30 to port...... i was wondering , if i get a rental car when we land .And take it back to rental car lot next morning , will they shuttle me to port or just airport. would be cheaper for us to get ride from air port than hotel... Any thoughts?????:rolleyes:

almost all the major car rentals shuttle to the port. You may need to call the location to make sure.

Archived