Found a camera and photos from qm2

MAUREGATO

Great news. We think we have found the lady in the photograph.

She is from South Africa, and I have sent her email address to the fisherman who found her holiday photographs on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.

A friend of hers who lives in Oxford saw our television news item this evening and got in touch. We have arranged to speak to the lady in South Africa in the morning, and with luck we will do another story on tv tomorrow evening. Same programme, same time as today. For those who are spread around the world, try www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday

It's just wonderful when a story works out like this. So a big thank you to all of you, and in particular to Rob Lightbody who first brought it to my attention. He runs a website called theqe2story.com.

In one of life's coincidences I was at the launch of QE2 as a small child. I was on the bridge in Dubai when the foghorn was sounded for the last time, and the flag lowered. So stories like this are a particular pleasure to do.

Paul

And thank you, Paul, for lending your very competent hand. What a wonderful story you presented. I look forward to tomorrow's story. :)

Gail

Great news. We think we have found the lady in the photograph.

She is from South Africa, and I have sent her email address to the fisherman who found her holiday photographs on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.

A friend of hers who lives in Oxford saw our television news item this evening and got in touch. We have arranged to speak to the lady in South Africa in the morning, and with luck we will do another story on tv tomorrow evening. Same programme, same time as today. For those who are spread around the world, try www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday

It's just wonderful when a story works out like this. So a big thank you to all of you, and in particular to Rob Lightbody who first brought it to my attention. He runs a website called theqe2story.com.

In one of life's coincidences I was at the launch of QE2 as a small child. I was on the bridge in Dubai when the foghorn was sounded for the last time, and the flag lowered. So stories like this are a particular pleasure to do.

Paul

That's absolutely amazing, Paul!! Looking forward to tomorrow's broadcast!

Hello,

Paul, It's fantastic.

That explain a photo made in N.Y. or Whasington , I'm not sure, in wich ONLY APPEARS THE NAME " SOUTH AFRICA".

¡ CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE !

I'm going to contact Her ASAP.

You are a wonderful man, MAUREGATO! :)

Wow can you just imagine.

I work in PR for a living (I was a journalist for years) and this would make a GREAT story. I could work on it from this end of the pond ;) I would need more info though. OP, if you would like to contact me, send me a message and I will give you contact info. =)

You are a wonderful man, MAUREGATO! :)

Yes, Mauregato, it was so very, very kind of you to do this. Wish there'd been someone like you around back in 1991...when I left my camera (with some irreplaceable photos) in a Washington, D.C. taxi cab!!

Excellent result - good work by all concerned.

Now that I know the couple are from South Africa, I realise that they may well be related to my wife. If the size of my telephone bill is anything to go by everybody in South Africa is related to my wife :D

J

Great work by the persevering Mauregato - who didn't let a few earlier silly remarks here put him off his search - and by Paul of the BBC, and by the poster who suggested contacting Paul. The owner is very lucky her camera was found by such a decent man and his efforts to track down the owner followed up by so many well-meaning, caring individuals. Well done, all involved!

I've been following the story about finding the owner of the photos, it has been very interesting to see it all come together and the owner is now found.

Just goes to show how good these memory chips are to last that long in the sea and still beable to retreave them.

Well done all involved.

I will be watching the link tonight for sure.

Catherine

Hello everyone, especially Mauregato!

We are the owners of the lost and found camera, and want to thank you all, so very sincerely, for all the trouble you have gone to in finding us!!

You may never understand just how precious those pictures are to us: The holiday was a 25th wedding anniversary celebration, fulfilling a dream for each of us. I always wanted to see New York, and my husband always wanted to travel on the QE or the QM!

So we flew to New York and spent a week there and a day in Washington DC, then we set sail on the QM2 from Brooklyn to Southampton.

We were devastated when the camera fell overboard in the Atlantic, and never expected to find it again. It happened on the last day of our voyage, the next morning we docked in Southampton.

The fact that so many people have tried and now succeeded in finding us is amazing, and I cannot thank you enough! May God bless you all for your efforts!! I am hoping to receive the camera and SD card soon from Mauregato.

I hope, one day, to meet both Mauregato, and the captain who actually found the camera, so I can shake their hand, hug them, and thank them!!!

Archived