Found a camera and photos from qm2

MAUREGATO

Think you should post a few of the pics on here, you never know, someone might recognise someone in the pic. and its not illegal as your not using the pic to make money.

Agreed. The lawfulness or otherwise is a matter of civil law, and you are not going to be sued by the copyright holder - he or she will just be pleased to see them again.

Congratulations Mauregato on your efforts to reunite a cunard passenger with what to them would be precious memories and with the way this camera has been found will be a dinner story for years to come , i wish you luck...Well done.

Fred.

I agree-your trying to help out,not cashing in....post a few..

One should be extremely careful posting pictures of identifiable people on the internet.

Perhaps there are a couple of pictures that are reasonably unique but which don't show peoples' faces. Perhaps the OP can obscure the faces - i.e. photoshop. I know that this won't likely aid anyone in identifying a 3rd party, but perhaps it might. If a couple of pictures like this produce no results in a couple of weeks then one might reconsider posting pictures with identifiable faces.

not to get OT but EVERY time I begin a new disc, the first shot is of my name and mailing address. Should my camera become lost and found, it would be very easy for the finder to send, minimally, the disc back to me.

Wishing you luck in your search :)

The only reason not to post would be if the owner of the camera or even others in the photo were traveling at a time that they stated they were in another place and that lovely lady on their arm just might not be the misses or in this day and age of liberation he might not be the mr. Then trouble might rear its ugly head.

I'd love to know your reasoning for this - given the SPECIFIC facts of this case.

I have no concern about legal liability. My concern is that one is making available to the world something to which the owner has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I can imagine any number of scenarios, however unlikely, in which posting pictures of identifiable people might be problematic. In fact I suspect that there are several very good movie scripts in this situation.:)

The following is a little tongue in cheek, my point is that there may very well be reasons why someone would not want their picture posted on the internet.

• As someone else suggested, subject would prefer SO not know
  • Subject is in witness protection
  • Subject has a stalker
  • Subject is hiding from an abusive SO
  • Subject also has a picture on post office walls
  • Subject prefers anonymity, even if it means they don't get their pix back

I have no concern about legal liability. My concern is that one is making available to the world something to which the owner has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

One can take pictures of anyone in a public place. There is nothing to stop that.

It follows that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in the public areas of the ship.

One can take pictures of anyone in a public place. There is nothing to stop that.

It follows that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in the public areas of the ship.

I don't know personally about the legality of posting the photos. I think it may very well be in vain to post them though because I would think that only a small percentage of Cunard's passengers are members of this board. The chances of the rightful owner seeing the photos, I believe, is very small. If the person who lost the camera is a board member, chances are they will see this thread and will make sure ito get in touch with Maurogato.

The expectation of privacy I was referring to was the owner of the camera. It's their property and it was at the bottom of the sea. I suppose one could argue salvage but as I mentioned previously I'm not talking about a legal obligation rather I believe it's an ethical obligation.

The expectation of privacy I was referring to was the owner of the camera. It's their property and it was at the bottom of the sea. I suppose one could argue salvage but as I mentioned previously I'm not talking about a legal obligation rather I believe it's an ethical obligation.

But, would you not agree that an ethical obligation must also rest with the finder of the camera to do his utmost to reunite the rightful owners with their property?

The internet is bulging at the seams with photos of "identifiable people" - as, indeed, are the print media and the visual media. Almost very holiday snap ever taken contains "identifiable people" who just happened to stray into the shot, and millions of these snaps are now given public visibility on sites such as Photobucket, Smugmug, Flickr, Facebook and so on. Newpapers and television news channels would be unable to fulfil their functions if the were unable to publish images that contained "identifiable people" who were not the main subject of the photograph or video.

If we accept Mauregato's bona fides (and he has given us no reason so far to doubt them), then I cannot see that there is any obstacle to him posting a couple of the images from the card on this forum with the perfectly honourable intention of attempting to reunite them with their owner. However, I agree with The Real PM that the chances of success are limited given the small percentage of Cunard passengers who read or post on this board. Nevertheless, there is always the "six degrees of separation" factor would play a part and that one of our members would recognise someone in the images.

J

Cruachan, I think we all agree that the chances of reuniting owner and photos is very slim.

I'm not convinced that the finder has an ethical obligation to do his utmost to find the owner. My problem is with the degree of effort. Utmost implies a relaxation of other constraints and I'm not entirely comfortable with that.

It seems to me that one needs to allow a fair amount of time before resorting to posting pictures. Just getting the story out that a fisherman found a camera lost from the QM2 may well be enough to alert the owner. After all, it's quite likely that very few cameras have gone overboard. And it seems to me that they story of such may well be known by fellow voyagers. If after many weeks there are no leads it might be worth reconsidering posting a couple of pictures. In short then I don't rule out posting pictures, I'm just hesitant to and think other avenues should be exhausted first.

I know that the internet has an abundance of pictures of people who are not aware of their picture being posted. Just because it's common practice does not, in my mind, make it ethical or wise.

Newspapers and other journalists do have some constraints and the ethical ones only post pictures related to stories they are publishing. Even then, it's my perception that they rarely include faces of people not directly related to the story.

En mass publication as occurs on photobucket et al to me seems reckless. But I admit that society is undergoing a significant shift in what is considered private. Perhaps I'm just slow to adapt.

Hello,

Today, a local Spanish newspaper ( " El faro de Vigo" from the city of VIGO ) , have published an article about the notice, including photos of the owner.

The title is :"Mensaje en una botella digital " ( Message in a digital bottle" ) and includes 5 photos.

Here is the link of the site:

http://mas.farodevigo.es/galeria/galeria.php?foto=9036

My cruise experience:

COSTA RIVIERA: Mediterranean Sea : Italy / Greece

NORWEGIAN JEWEL: Mediterranean Sea : Spain / Italy

NORWEGIAN JADE: Norwegian fiords and nord cape

RUBY PRINCESS: Italy / Greece / Turkey.

Next Trip: Maybe "ICELAND"

Excellent - let's hope someone comes forward! as noted above, six degrees of separation may reunite the camera with the owner. If it was my camera i'd be so happy to retrieve these.

As for losing camera overboard, only on our Christmas cruise - i was passing my camera to my father in law who was on the balcony next door and what do you know, it slipped out of our hands as we were passing it across and over it went - narrowly missing people sitting on Deck 7 underneath! :( But that was in a Caribbean somewhere - not even sure which country we were by (as I don't have anything to remind me!!) - so if anyone finds our camera - somewhere in the Caribbean feel free to post some of our photos and hopefully i'll recover them! :)

What a wonderful story and a very nice person Mauregato ,ust be. Thank you, Ray, for supplying us with the article in English.:) It has become quite a feel-good story. It will even be better if the owner is found. Were you the one that translated it?

Here's the story translated into English by Google. The page may take a while to load, so stay with it.

What a wonderful story! Thanks to Ray to the translation! Mauregato is such a good man to be taking the time to search for the owner!

As Ray said, it is a tanslation by Google - hence the literal translation and the difficulties I suppose in translating nuance and idiomatic speech.

This has turned into a lovely story - I saw that the sceptical replies were mostly removed thank goodness.

Hello,

Today, a local Spanish newspaper ( " El faro de Vigo" from the city of VIGO ) , have published an article about the notice, including photos of the owner.

The title is :"Mensaje en una botella digital " ( Message in a digital bottle" ) and includes 5 photos.

Here is the link of the site:

http://mas.farodevigo.es/galeria/galeria.php?foto=9036

Thank goodness a photo is now available in the link. Now if someone here recognizes the lady and gentleman the puzzle will be solved.

Archived