Just got off the Miracle with the hole in the ship

Donnask8pro

Thanks. Saved me from posting the pics..

The problem was that the "gash" went all the way through into the offices inside. You could see through the hole. I was told by staff onboard that they worked on the inside which apparently got the brunt of it the while time we were flying to get home ontime.

They quickly welded sheet metal into place on the outside to make it seaworthy then worked around the clock on the inside'

Glad I was on the Carnival Dream last week an not the Miracle. Our Capt pulled away from Costa Maya because of high winds, so we got another fun day at sea.

You guys had enough problems in the theatre. :p

What webcam? Does the ship have a camera I could be watching? Would love to do that as I'm booked on the Miracle in September and would love to watch her sail.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/carnivalindex.html

Having been on the inaugural of the Dream, I continue to check out the cruise cams to make sure people are having a good time and being nice to my ship, LOL.

Not every ship has them, but there is a list in the upper left corner of those who do.

My wife and I were on the Miracle.

When we docked in St. Kitts, it was windy, with occasional very strong gusts. ===> Typical Port Zante! :cool:

As for the apparent frequency of such accidents, given the quantity of docking events,

and the tight quarters of some of the ports, I think all the cruise lines

do an incredible job in protecting the passengers and the ships themselves.

Port Zante, St.Kitts is a known very-windy location.

to the point where docking is sometimes aborted, if the wind is too strong.

Windy_Port_Zante.jpg

Look at those flags!

The wind was so strong they were snapping!

The above photo taken at Port Zante, St.Kitts in early January 2008.

January to April is seasonal hi-wind-speed time of year in the Caribbean

= kite-flying season!

I'm fairly sure that, given a choice,

Captains prefer to berth on the windward side of the Port Zante pier

so that during the day, the ambient wind keeps their hull firmly pressed against the pier.

Berthing on the leeward side, means the wind tries to blow the ship away from the pier

constantly straining the mooring lines.

I wasn't there to see, but it's not hard to imagine that

while trying to dock against the windward side,

a strong gust coming at the worst possible moment

could have blown the ship off course and set things up for collision!

Ship happens, as they say! ;)

Cruise ships are rather large (moving) 'buildings'!

They 'catch' an awful lot of wind, and it has powerful effect on the ship.

It's a big factor when docking -ask any Captain!

Actually it has been four

Miracle hits dock

Ecstasy hits gangway in Galveston the same or next day

Legend hits Enchantment of the Seas

Spendor hits Radiance of the Seas

Dave

Jetskier - was there any damage to the Splendor? I sail on her in less than a week. Thanks!

It was minor. Her aft clipped the other ship as she swung into the pier. This occurred in PV.

The day after this occurred, the Splendor's captain had to be medivaced because he had a heart attack. His replacement had only been there a few weeks when he backed her into a dock in Puerto Vallarta. Wonder if that ship is cursed?

[quote name='danacline']The day after this occurred, the Splendor's captain had to be medivaced because he had a heart attack. His replacement had only been there a few weeks when he backed her into a dock in Puerto Vallarta. Wonder if that ship is cursed?[/quote]

They cant go with that she is different than the Conquest as she is the same length and only weighs in a tad more. Weather was not a factor in those two incidents as it was with the other cases.

Dave

[quote name='DarthGrady']Thanks for posting, looks nasty. Thats at least three collisions that I can recall in as many months. I think Carnival had better start installing bumpers all the way around the ship.[/quote]

Bumpers for the piers, and nets for the jumpers.

[quote name='bugeater2']here are 2 of my pics.

[IMG]http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af71/courtneygarrod24/DSCF6341.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af71/courtneygarrod24/DSCF6342.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

looks like a pretty good hit... id imagine the guy/gal whos office that belongs to probably had a heart attack when s/he gained an ocean view.

[quote name='golfadj']Where do I apply for job as captain? I believe in starting at the top and working my way down[/quote]

[quote name='xitappers2bx'] id imagine the guy/gal whos office that belongs to probably had a heart attack when s/he gained an ocean view.[/quote]
:p:D Too funny!!!

[quote name='xitappers2bx']looks like a pretty good hit... id imagine the guy/gal whos office that belongs to probably had a heart attack when s/he gained an ocean view.[/quote]

That is small compared to the gash that was put in the Fantasy when the barge hit her.
Dave

[quote name='splash_in_the_water']pretty sure nobdy posted this yet:

captain ron docking manuever. pilot shoulda learned from the best!!!

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNxLjCBJc[/URL][/quote]

Cap'n Ron......One of my favorite flicks!

Archived