Guarantee Screw-ups?

Rudolph38

Just curious. I havent seen this ever mentioned, but it's a big corporation dealing with thousands of passengers, and I wonder if it ever happens.

If that mistake could be made I am sure it wouldn't be limited to guarantees.

Whew! What a hornet's nest. That's why I don't post on CC except here or, maybe, in Ports of Call. I once made a post in the airline area about handicapped facilities at airports and got sliced and diced. Need a thick skin to go out to those general areas of CC, I must say!:p

We once booked a guarantee on RCCL. When we got to our cabin, the stewardess introduced herself and proceeded to call us by different names (ie Nancy and Robert Smith, when our names were John and Mary Jones.) We corrected her, and she didn't believe us! Kept calling us by these other names. We were at a level where we were suppose to get certain amenities, and the other couple was not, so we had to continually ask for things from the stewardess. :( She would look at us, look at her sheet and say, but you are not eligible for that. :rolleyes: An inconvenience, but we eventually convinced her that we were who we were. :D

Not a bumping story, but I just remembered an episode when the cabin was changed at the last minute on a cruise on the Veendam out of Tampa in January 2008. I wrote to the TA:

"We are having trouble determining which cabin number we are supposed to be in for the cruise. The cruise documents which came a couple of weeks ago have us at cabin 200, as we reserved with you last year. However, when I logged in to the immigration form, it has us as cabin 127. Is this an upgrade? It doesn't look like it to me, and it doesn't have the features for handicapped that my wife would like. And we need to know the cabin number for the baggage tags."

And their reply:

"I'm glad you brought this to my attention. I will have you back in 200

within 24 hours."

When we got to our cabin 200 at embarkation, there was somebody else's luggage already in the room. And the name on the luggage was that of one of the leaders of the TA group with which we were traveling! Anyway, all got sorted out.:)

Never had such a problem with a guarantee. Once on Princess we did enter our room to find that someone was already in the cabin with everything hung-up, etc. Turned out that there were some construction folks on board and they had not finished their work but the message had not gotten to the right folks. We got a terrific, really terrific upgrade. Unfortunately it was only a 4 day cruise, but we enjoyed the "extras" the new cabin offered for those 4 days.

Thought maybe you had read this---

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1127360

Whew! What a hornet's nest. That's why I don't post on CC except here or, maybe, in Ports of Call. I once made a post in the airline area about handicapped facilities at airports and got sliced and diced. Need a thick skin to go out to those general areas of CC, I must say!:p

Yes - and I was a part of that hornet's nest. Still can't figure out where I slipped a gear in understanding or communication.

When we arrived at the Volendam for our cruise in November '03, they had no record of our booking. They finally got it sorted out and got us aboard, but it was obvious from the condition of the cabin that they hadn't been expecting it to be in use on that cruise.

When we arrived at the Volendam for our cruise in November '03, they had no record of our booking. They finally got it sorted out and got us aboard, but it was obvious from the condition of the cabin that they hadn't been expecting it to be in use on that cruise.

Yikes!! I'm not sure if I would have flipped out or passed out!! Glad you were able to get it sorted out and board the ship. Did they eventually set the room to rights?

I've never had a problem with HAL, but once on a NCL cruise I went to my cabin and my key wouldn't work. I finally tracked down a steward who opened it, and there were someone else's clothes and belongings in there. Turned out they were doing back-to-back cruises and were supposed to move for the second week but didn't. I had to turn in my key and wait for a new one, and I had to sit around for four hours, not even able to order a soda because I had no room to charge it to. I once got bumped (voluntarily and in advance) from a RCCL cruise--I went the following week and got an upgrade and a refund of half my money. Both of these events happened more than 10 years ago and the whole computer model is much more sophisticated now and there have been no bumps (pun intended) in the road since.

I've never had a problem with HAL, but once on a NCL cruise I went to my cabin and my key wouldn't work. I finally tracked down a steward who opened it, and there were someone else's clothes and belongings in there. Turned out they were doing back-to-back cruises and were supposed to move for the second week but didn't. I had to turn in my key and wait for a new one, and I had to sit around for four hours, not even able to order a soda because I had no room to charge it to. I once got bumped (voluntarily and in advance) from a RCCL cruise--I went the following week and got an upgrade and a refund of half my money. Both of these events happened more than 10 years ago and the whole computer model is much more sophisticated now and there have been no bumps (pun intended) in the road since.

I would have taken the couple's other cabin - unless it was a downgrade. In that case, it's no wonder they didn't move. :D

I booked a last minute guarantee on Celebrity a few years ago. Upon arriving at the pier, they had no record of us. Thank goodness I had printed my sail pass.

Anyway, there was an available cabin and we did get on board, but had there not been, I'm sure we would have missed that cruise.

Archived