Can I bring a fishing pole?

zeyedeco

Going on the Mariner May 9, and thought it would be easier to bring my own. I can't seem to find a place on shore that would rent fishing equipment...just expensive off shore excursions.

And what about snorkeling gear? I have read that some have problems with the excursion equipment being faulty and overused...

Going on the Mariner May 9, and thought it would be easier to bring my own. I can't seem to find a place on shore that would rent fishing equipment...just expensive off shore excursions.

And what about snorkeling gear? I have read that some have problems with the excursion equipment being faulty and overused...

The last I looked it wasn't on the list of banned items, but where are you going to fish? You might check with RCI, though, if they don't allow scissors, I'm not sure what they'll think of hooks/tackle. Also, if you're fishing on your own, I'd make sure to get a Mexican fishing license ahead of time, you don't want to have any problems with the authorities.

Lots of people bring their own snorkeling gear.

And what about snorkeling gear? I have read that some have problems with the excursion equipment being faulty and overused...[/quote]

I would not use gear from a rental shop. You know that snorkel that has to go in your mouth? Where do you think that has been recently? I always bring my own.

Beware if you bring fishing gear, many of the ports of call have strict fishing regulations. The excursions cover the relevant licenses or permits. If you plans on just wandering down to the water and cast a line, make sure you know the restrictions.

Saw a passenger fishing just off the gangplank by the piers on our Alaska cruise...He had his own equipment..everything folded up into a little tackle box.....and he did this at every port....

We're also looking at the May9th on the Mariner and we're both fishing junkies. I hadn't thought of bringing our rods with us. :cool: We're bringing the teenage girls on this trip and really didn't want to spend another $400 for them to watch us fish off a charter boat . . . and listen to them whine and moan . .

Where are you thinking about fishing? You should be able to get a day license right there from the port (that's what I did in Cabo a couple of years ago).

Fishing licences are NOT required when fishing from land in Mexico. I brought a takedown set on our last trip and caught a few from the shore near the dock in Puerto Vallarta (using shrimp from the previous evening's shrimp cocktail...shhh). They were usually very strict about no fishing from the dock. We did see scads of fish swimming between the ship and the dock in PV; big ones too. I walked off the ship and out of the secure area, took a right and headed to the beach. It was fairly rocky but I enjoyed it. Bon Voyage and good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived