Venice - shuttle from P. Roma to ship?

ehogan

On May 15, people left the Gem about 8:15. (we were watching from our aft balcony). When we got off about 9, I didn't notice if there were taxis or not. We just got on the bus to P.Roma. I wish we had scheduled our trip to JFK for that day as we would not have been delayed by the ash, but when I made the reservations on Delta, the time was listed as 11:30 and since I'd never been to Venice, I didn't want to risk misssing the flight. As it turned out, we could have done early exit, pulling our own bags and been at the airport by about 9 or 9:15 if we had taken a taxi. The flight had been changed months before to 12:30. INstead, we stayed that night in Venice and then had our flight on Sunday canceled because to the ash and had to get to JFK thru Paris, arriving 8 hours after our scheduled arrival.We did enjoy the extra day in Venice and the staff at the Courtyard by Marriott were very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
When you disembark are taxis available near the ship (to go to the airport) or do you need to take the shuttle bus back to P Roma to find a taxi?

If you were on the NCL Gem what time could you leave the ship - the itinerary has it docking at 8am and then mentions that you may have to wait 2 hours to clear customs (10am seems a little late to disembark).

On the May 22nd Gem disembarkation in Venice people seemed to be getting off very close to 8 am. We chose one of the last times as we were not in a rush and wanted to enjoy our last morning with room service and breakfast in the dining room. Enjoying every last moment!

I noticed some taxis and the bus to P. Roma directly upon exiting the terminal. We chose to walk back to P. Roma as there was quite a line for the bus and one one going at a time.

Learnt today that there is a luggage service at St Lucia station which, for 5 Euros a piece, takes the luggage from the station to the cruise terminal. It would save dragging it across the canal and to Piazzeta Roma.

Costa says that Mestre is a good station to get a taxi to the terminal (which goes via the bridge over the lagoon) while St Lucia is better for those who want to take the free shuttle from Piazzeta Roma (every 30 minutes when ships are in port)

Hope that helps

Go to google maps. Copy and paste these numbers into the 'search maps' field with the comma 45.439163,12.310829

This will take you to the space in front of the terminal building. The terminal is on the right. There is a large ship to the bottom. (Use satellite view).. There are 3 busses in the lot. Any bus can get you at least that far. I don't know whether or not they can get you to the gangplank.

Thanks Earl for the google map, however, I am trying to look for the bus station in P. Roma in which we will be coming from the train stn S. Lucia, is the bus parking lot just right at the foot of the bridge or is it at the bus symbol where the yellow line is?

Just returned yesterday from the "Splendour of the Seas" 7 day R/T from Venice, all cruiselines have shuttles which run from the D1, D2 area of Piazza Roma to the ship, begins around 10:30 am till ship cruises.

Opposite side of Grand Canal and railway bridge.

Does the free shuttle also run during disembarkation and do you also know what time it starts?

We took a taxi to the airport, others said there was the same free shuttles, what time it starts I am unsure of.

Does the free shuttle also run during disembarkation and do you also know what time it starts?
Theere is not always a free shuttle. The following is from the port website...."When ships are embarking and disembarking cruise passengers, a shuttle bus service is provided only on Cruise Operator’s request." Contact your cruise line.

I believe that free shuttles are provided by Costa and MSC. Holland America charges $5 each way which I think is a lot for a 3 minute ride. Don't know about the other lines.

Rick

Not sure what time free shuttle starts, but passengers stared self-disembaration from Gem about 8:15. We self disembarked at 9 and caught a free shuttle (very congested, hard to find space) to P. Roma. From there, easy shuttle to airport for about 3E each. Luggage was put under bus on both.

Theere is not always a free shuttle. The following is from the port website...."When ships are embarking and disembarking cruise passengers, a shuttle bus service is provided only on Cruise Operator’s request." Contact your cruise line.

I believe that free shuttles are provided by Costa and MSC. Holland America charges $5 each way which I think is a lot for a 3 minute ride. Don't know about the other lines.

Rick

We were at Piazza Roma on Friday and Saturday before our cruise, and Saturday after our cruise. We cruised with Royal Caribbean and used their shuttle.

Costa, MSC, Royal Caribbean, NCL had free shuttles on each day, back and forth to the cruise ships.

Our hotel was just across the bridge so we visited the area a couple of times daily.

How much was the taxi from the port to the airport?

There was 2 of us, 40 Euro total. We got off the ship at 7:20 am and were in the Marco Polo Airport at 7:37 am. Normally we would have taken the shuttle, then the bus but we needed to get there quick.

Archived