Venice - shuttle from P. Roma to ship?

ehogan

Once again, I am relying on my cruise critic friends to help out - I called NCL and they had no information, but this is not new.

I would like to know if there is a shuttle from Piazzale Roma in Venice to the cruise ship ( we are sailing April 24). If not, is it walkable? we will only have a carryon size (wheeled) luggage each.

Thanks so much in advance.

It is a good 15-20min. walk depending on your speed.

It is a short taxi ride. There is also a city bus that goes there. I read that on Sat.Sun and Mon during"cruise season" there is a free shuttle but not sure about that.

The city of Venice is building a people mover--like a monorail type thingy but it was supposed to be ready in Dec. and is not ready yet!

It is a good 15-20min. walk depending on your speed.

It is a short taxi ride. There is also a city bus that goes there. I read that on Sat.Sun and Mon during"cruise season" there is a free shuttle but not sure about that.

The city of Venice is building a people mover--like a monorail type thingy but it was supposed to be ready in Dec. and is not ready yet!

Sounds like the People Mover will be open in March. It is a tram that costs 1 Euro per person for the three minute trip from Pl Roma to the Ship Port.

Yes, but there is a question whether or not the stop at the cruise port (the intermediate stop) will be completed when the People Mover opens, it seems not.

Even so, it might be easier to take the People Mover to Tronchetto and walk back, then to walk all the way from Piazzale Roma.

Even if the short cab ride costs 10 or 20 Euro, it might be worth it not to have to drag your bags for a twenty minute walk along a busy street; not a great way to start your vacation.

CintiPam, that bus sounds like a good choice. Do you know if it's the ATVO bus that allows you to put luggage underneath the bus, or the city bus that has you carrying it all unto the bus?

Thanks for the info!

CintiPam, that bus sounds like a good choice. Do you know if it's the ATVO bus that allows you to put luggage underneath the bus, or the city bus that has you carrying it all unto the bus?

Thanks for the info!

We rode the /6 bus from P. Roma to port. It's an ACTV bus, so if you have a vaporetto pass, then the fare for this bus is also included.

There is a free shuttle from the Piazale Roma to the port when it is running, which means maybe or maybe not (after all, this is Italy). There are usually taxis parked in the Piazale Roma (look towards the left side of the piaza as you face inland from the ACTV Vaporetto office) which will often shuttle passengers to the port for as little as 5 Euros per person (if they can fill their taxi). We have made the walk with our luggage and its OK if you can handle the 1/2 mile.6/

Also, and this is important, the so-called #6 bus is not the right bus. The bus is the /6 bus and it must have that slash. The #6 bus (without the slash) is a different route which does not stop at the port (nothing is simple in Italy).

Hank

Thanks,epixx and riffatsea. Info from this thread is making a vaporetto pass seem more and more like a very good idea, as we will be in Venice for three days prior to our cruise. As long as we can struggle unto the #6 bus with our luggage, we should be all set for the trip to the port.

But is there no vaporetto to the cruise ship port? That would be fun!

Thank you again for all the good information.

Susan

There is a free shuttle from the Piazale Roma to the port when it is running, which means maybe or maybe not (after all, this is Italy). Hank

That free shuttle is only operating when there is a Costa ship in port. The shuttle is payed for by Costa.

Thanks,epixx and riffatsea. Info from this thread is making a vaporetto pass seem more and more like a very good idea, as we will be in Venice for three days prior to our cruise. As long as we can struggle unto the #6 bus with our luggage, we should be all set for the trip to the port.

Susan

Smaller ships (like Oceania's) dock at San Basilio, which has its own vaporetto stop on the circular vaporetto route.

Susan

A lot depends on where you are staying, how big your ship is, and when you are leaving.

If your ship is large it will almost certainly be at the Marittima-the main cruise terminal. Even Oceania goes there sometimes.

By the summer the tram thingy will almost certainly be available from Piazzale Roma to the cruise terminal. 2 minutes and 1 euro.

If you are near San marco, there is a direct alilaguna service to the Marittima cruise terminal. Every 30 minutes for about 7 euros pp. It is the M route. http://www.alilaguna.it Alilaguna is a private scheduled water bus service separate from the public vaporetto system.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

We are sailing mid-April, and it looks as though, if all goes well, the People-Mover may be operating between Piazzale Roma and the Cruise terminal (where our RCCL ship, Splendour, docks apparently.) In that case, our hotel near the train station would be just across the new pedestrian bridge, the Ponte Calatrava. That appears to be quite do-able.

But if the people mover is not stopping at the cruise terminal yet and there is no public wheeled bus from cruise terminal to Pza Roma, maybe we could take the people mover to Tronchetto and then, if we can manage our luggage, a vaporetto from Tronchetto to the train station near our hotel. But none of the maps I have of Venice, or anything I can find in my guide books, tell me if there IS a vaporetto stop there, and if so if it goes in the direction of the Grand Canal.

Does anyone know about vaporetti from Tronchetto?

We are planning to get a transportation pass for our days in Venice, so hope to use these water and city buses as much as possible.

Thanks again!

Thank you, UKBayern -

Where did you find out about RCCL's free shuttle from the cruise terminal to Pza. Roma? I looked all over the RCCL site, including their "information about port of Venice" and could find nothing about it.

This is great information, but I wish it would have been easier to find!

Thank you!

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Does anyone know about vaporetti from Tronchetto?

We are planning to get a transportation pass for our days in Venice, so hope to use these water and city buses as much as possible.

Thanks again!

if you can go to Google Earth and 'FLY to" 45.440468, 12.308575 You will see a view of Tronchetto and part of The cruise terminal The no 2 Vaporetto dock is middle left. The people mover bridge under construction is top right. The exit from the maritime terminal building is bottom right. I hope it comes through. The no 2 runs in both directions. You want to go toward Piazzale Roma, the train station and Rialto

You can download a map of the Vaporetto routes from livingveniceblog.com

if you can go to Google Earth and 'FLY to" You will see a view of Tronchetto and part of The cruise terminal The no 2 Vaporetto dock is middle left. The people mover bridge under construction is top right. The exit from the maritime terminal building is bottom right. I hope it comes through. The no 2 runs in both directions. You want to go toward Piazzale Roma, the train station and Rialto

P.S. This works as well on Google Maps. Just cut and paste the numbers into the search area on Google maps. Then put the green arrow in the centre of your screen.

Thank you, UKBayern -

Where did you find out about RCCL's free shuttle from the cruise terminal to Pza. Roma? I looked all over the RCCL site, including their "information about port of Venice" and could find nothing about it.

This is great information, but I wish it would have been easier to find!

Thank you!

We found out on Cruise Critic, on the roll call, literally only 2 days before flying into Venice, otherwise we might have taken a taxi from Piazzale Roma to the ship.

Hello UKBayern -

You say you didn't find out until two days before your cruise that the ship provided a shuttle, and that you found out here on cruise critic. Did RCCL personnel announce their shuttle on the Cruise Critic roll call board, or was it another passenger?

This feels so hit or miss; sometimes there is a shuttle run by the ship, sometimes there isn't, who knows. When arriving at an airport on the day of a cruise, there is always someone from the cruise line directing you to their shuttle and taking charge of your luggage, but this P.Roma deal sounds so chaotic.

How was it actually?

Thanks.

Hello UKBayern -

You say you didn't find out until two days before your cruise that the ship provided a shuttle, and that you found out here on cruise critic. Did RCCL personnel announce their shuttle on the Cruise Critic roll call board, or was it another passenger?

This feels so hit or miss; sometimes there is a shuttle run by the ship, sometimes there isn't, who knows. When arriving at an airport on the day of a cruise, there is always someone from the cruise line directing you to their shuttle and taking charge of your luggage, but this P.Roma deal sounds so chaotic.

How was it actually?

Thanks.

Apparently it is always there whenever RCCL is in port, they just don't like to promote it too much, as they will have a logistical problem otherwise. It is free and you don't have to reserve. It is a good idea to come fairly early, as there are lines and you probably have to wait for the next bus. Don't be too polite, if you let everybody jump the line you are going to be there forever :D Seen from the train station/centre/big bridge, the bus stops at the back left corner of the square, past the regular buses.

• 2 months later...

Archived