Venice - shuttle from P. Roma to ship?

ehogan

Is this still accurate? I called RC today and they never mentioned a free shuttle. I'm cruising next month.

We cruise in 2 weeks, we plan on using the shuttle from Piazza Roma if available, backup plan is the #6 bus. I'll report our findings.

Do not count on that shuttle bus, but you do have 3 alternatives. You can walk, you can take the 6/ (must have that slash) public bus (if you do not have more then 1 piece of luggage), or you can grab a land taxi (this can get as cheap as 5 Euros if there are a few that want to share).

Hank

We cruise in 2 weeks, we plan on using the shuttle from Piazza Roma if available, backup plan is the #6 bus. I'll report our findings.

I'm just back from the May 1st cruise on Spendour of the Seas. In our cruise documents it said there would be a shuttle at P. Roma the day of embarking and there was.......towards the back of the terminal and along the line of the D2 stop used for the airport bus. You'll notice there is an open area. (I meant to take a picture to help orient folks, but forgot!) Anyway it was there, and if not just wait it will return. The bus also returns you there from the ship for folks staying over in Venice after the cruise. We used it both ways. NO problem.

anyone know what time this shuttle bus is there????

thanks, jean

Jean it returned us to P. Roma as early as 7:30 AM on May 8th. I imagine if you wanted to head over that early you could take the shuttle back when it went........but on the day we embarked, we were there around 10:15 and it was there loading. We were lucky not to have to wait or wonder.

I'm just back from the May 1st cruise on Spendour of the Seas. In our cruise documents it said there would be a shuttle at P. Roma the day of embarking and there was.......towards the back of the terminal and along the line of the D2 stop used for the airport bus. You'll notice there is an open area. (I meant to take a picture to help orient folks, but forgot!) Anyway it was there, and if not just wait it will return. The bus also returns you there from the ship for folks staying over in Venice after the cruise. We used it both ways. NO problem.

Thanks for the report, much appreciated. We'll make sure to follow your directions, it is good to hear from actual experience.

I think a distinction has to be made between Venice as an embarking/disembarking port and a port of call.

I am visiting on the Brilliance which origins in Barcelona and I spoke to the people at RC at length about some sort of shuttle and I was told that the only transportation that RC provided was via a shore excursion. But if Venice was your point of embarkation/debarkation a shuttle into San Marco or the Airport or Train Station would be provided for a fee.

I think a distinction has to be made between Venice as an embarking/disembarking port and a port of call.

I am visiting on the Brilliance which origins in Barcelona and I spoke to the people at RC at length about some sort of shuttle and I was told that the only transportation that RC provided was via a shore excursion. But if Venice was your point of embarkation/debarkation a shuttle into San Marco or the Airport or Train Station would be provided for a fee.

This discussion has never been about Venice as a Port of Call, this thread pertains to embarking on a cruise out of Venice.:rolleyes:

mckendus,

thanks for info, I wasn't thinking of going that early, do you think it comes back and gets more passengers latter, perhaps closer to 11 or 12. How early can you get on the ship?

jean

This discussion has never been about Venice as a Port of Call, this thread pertains to embarking on a cruise out of Venice.:rolleyes:

Now was the sarcasm really necessary?

Should some services overlap Ports of Call stops as well as embarkation/disembarkation but others do not?

Now was the sarcasm really necessary?

Should some services overlap Ports of Call stops as well as embarkation/disembarkation but others do not?

Didn't mean to be sarcastic, there has been a couple of threads discussing this and, well the info hasn't been the clearest.:o

We just returned from the May 1,2010 NCL Venice cruise. First I would tell anyone to stay at P. Roma at least the night before the cruise. We stayed at the Best Western Olimpia which was close enough to the port to walk to as that is what we had to do. There were shuttle buses from Costa that left P.Roma at about 10:30 am. Anyone could use them, not just Costa people. By the time we saw them, it was too late. We asked what a taxi would be and were told 10E. We went in to get our bags and returned and the taxi driver said there was a road block and he couldn't get us through, so we had to walk. Many others did too. We did ok pulling our bags, but the walk was narrow and it was hot.There were free shuttle buses after the cruise too and taxis.

OK here is the embarkation question I have.

How close will my near airport hotel shuttle van be able to get me to the ship? We are staying there the day before embarkation and may get a chance to get the "lay of the land" if/ when we venture out to Venice a day early, but we are a group of 3 with a child and a collection of bags...how far do we have to lug?

We just returned from the May 1,2010 NCL Venice cruise. First I would tell anyone to stay at P. Roma at least the night before the cruise. We stayed at the Best Western Olimpia which was close enough to the port to walk to as that is what we had to do. There were shuttle buses from Costa that left P.Roma at about 10:30 am. Anyone could use them, not just Costa people. By the time we saw them, it was too late. We asked what a taxi would be and were told 10E. We went in to get our bags and returned and the taxi driver said there was a road block and he couldn't get us through, so we had to walk. Many others did too. We did ok pulling our bags, but the walk was narrow and it was hot.There were free shuttle buses after the cruise too and taxis.

We're staying at BW Olimpia in September. Does it stand up to the good reviews?

What do you mean by "too late" to get the bus? What time did they stop running? Was there a "Costa" sign on it, or how did you recognize it as a Marittima port bus?

We'll be on NCL Gem, sailaway at 5pm, but want to see more of Venice on embarkation day, leaving P.Roma for the port around 2pm or maybe 2:30pm. Should we plan for a land taxi or do you know if the port bus was running that late?

At least one bus from PRoma to the port said Costa on it, others did not. We were told anyone could ride them free, but we couldn't find one at 10:30. They were there earlier. Anyway, there was still a long walk from where people were dropped off for the Costa ship to the NCL dock. Best for you to get a taxi from P.Roma. We heard from E5-10. The Olimpia was nice, but our room was small. It had a window that opened over the canal. We were on the 3rd floor. There was a tiny elevator, but we used the stairs after we got the bags up. The breakfast was free and large and very good. To get from an airport hotel to the ship, you could take a taxi (it's quite a ways, don't know the price), or the bus which is E3 each to P. Roma and then get the shuttle or taxi or you could go to the airport and take the E3 bus which has room for luggage under it to P. Roma and then get to the port from there. With a child, I would probably just get a car taxi.

At least one bus from PRoma to the port said Costa on it, others did not. We were told anyone could ride them free, but we couldn't find one at 10:30. They were there earlier. Anyway, there was still a long walk from where people were dropped off for the Costa ship to the NCL dock. Best for you to get a taxi from P.Roma. We heard from E5-10. The Olimpia was nice, but our room was small. It had a window that opened over the canal. We were on the 3rd floor. There was a tiny elevator, but we used the stairs after we got the bags up. The breakfast was free and large and very good. To get from an airport hotel to the ship, you could take a taxi (it's quite a ways, don't know the price), or the bus which is E3 each to P. Roma and then get the shuttle or taxi or you could go to the airport and take the E3 bus which has room for luggage under it to P. Roma and then get to the port from there. With a child, I would probably just get a car taxi.

Thanks for the info. Taxi from P.Roma to the ship seems to be the best hassle-free option for a small amount of money. :) I bet the Olimpia room was not as small as an Oceanview cabin on the ship :D ;)

OK here is the embarkation question I have.

How close will my near airport hotel shuttle van be able to get me to the ship? We are staying there the day before embarkation and may get a chance to get the "lay of the land" if/ when we venture out to Venice a day early, but we are a group of 3 with a child and a collection of bags...how far do we have to lug?

Please clarify your question. Is your hotel near the airport? Does the hotel offer shuttle service to Venice or only to the airport? Is the airport on a bus route?

Please clarify your question. Is your hotel near the airport? Does the hotel offer shuttle service to Venice or only to the airport? Is the airport on a bus route?

Yes,:) as I said it is an airport hotel. They offer both pickup and delivery to the airport and delivery to the port for a low fee.

My question was:

How close to the ship can they get me? Where will they exactly have to leave us off?

Yes,:) as I said it is an airport hotel. They offer both pickup and delivery to the airport and delivery to the port for a low fee.

My question was:

How close to the ship can they get me? Where will they exactly have to leave us off?

Go to google maps. Copy and paste these numbers into the 'search maps' field with the comma 45.439163,12.310829

This will take you to the space in front of the terminal building. The terminal is on the right. There is a large ship to the bottom. (Use satellite view).. There are 3 busses in the lot. Any bus can get you at least that far. I don't know whether or not they can get you to the gangplank.

Go to google maps. Copy and paste these numbers into the 'search maps' field with the comma 45.439163,12.310829

This will take you to the space in front of the terminal building. The terminal is on the right. There is a large ship to the bottom. (Use satellite view).. There are 3 busses in the lot. Any bus can get you at least that far. I don't know whether or not they can get you to the gangplank.

Map looks like my shuttle van is allowed there. Hopefully.

mckendus,

thanks for info, I wasn't thinking of going that early, do you think it comes back and gets more passengers latter, perhaps closer to 11 or 12. How early can you get on the ship?

jean

Hi Jean....sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The bus just keeps going back and forth. We were onboard at 11 AM and one of the first.

We were there that Saturday morning and there were separate buses for each cruie line......there were placards in the front of each bus. The NCL bus may have been dropping folks off at the ship when you first checked and not returned yet.

Funny, I can't remember much about where we were dropped off or when we handed our luggage over, but it was simple!

Thanks for the info. Taxi from P.Roma to the ship seems to be the best hassle-free option for a small amount of money. :) I bet the Olimpia room was not as small as an Oceanview cabin on the ship :D ;)

The day we got our bus to the port from P. Roma the buses had placards in the front windows (albeit small!). When we returned from the cruise the bus driver had not put a placard out and we had to ask if it was the correct bus to take. I tend to think that is what happens a lot...they just don't bother. I'd just ask the driver if it's the bus you want. If the cruiselines offer free shuttles I'm going to use them! :D It also appeared that there is only one bus per cruise ship (maybe Costa has more), so if it is delivering folks when you get there you may think there isn't one. I'd say be patient and wait for a bus to return, unless it is close to final boarding time!

We stayed at the Hotel Stella Alpina Edelweiss, near the train station. Our room was not small either time, but they do not have an elevator so if you end up on a top floor it'd be a pain with luggage. We were fortunate both times we stayed there pre/post cruise being either on the ground or first floor. Breakfast is included in the price.

When you disembark are taxis available near the ship (to go to the airport) or do you need to take the shuttle bus back to P Roma to find a taxi?

If you were on the NCL Gem what time could you leave the ship - the itinerary has it docking at 8am and then mentions that you may have to wait 2 hours to clear customs (10am seems a little late to disembark).

Archived