Crasiest or Dumbest things you have heard people complain about

spyder1

Getting back to the topic - I was just reading someone's review and they mentioned how on Captain's Night, they were not dressed up. They were turned away from the dining room because of their clothes and were complaining about it.

Now I understand not everyone wants to get dressed up, but is one night that big of a deal?? I thought the complaining was pretty crazy and that the staff handled accordingly. It's awkward walking into the dining room seeing folks in basketball shorts and at the next table are folks with suits and dresses. And wouldn't they feel uncomfortable?? Clearly they are underdressed!!!

Just curious about others thoughts - no rights or wrongs here.

IMO a few cruisers try to get away with as much as possible to suit themselves, with little or no thought as to how it might affect others, in this case the Captain is being slighted, as well as those who enjoy dressing up, once in a while.

Rules exist on cruise ships for the betterment of the majority, so if persons don't agree, they might try a different venue, different ship, or different vacation.

john

john

• Haha 1

For my parents 50th anniversary they wanted the whole family to take a 3-day cruise. When it came time for final payment, my TA called to tell me there was a problem with one of the cc numbers I gave him. It was my brother. I called and he explained that he was about to file bankruptcy (by the way, he makes more than anyone in the family), and had maxed out all his cards. I gave the TA my cc information and my brother said he would pay me back for him and his daughter when he got his income tax check, and by the way, they needed formal night wear. During the course of the cruise, he bought rounds of drinks for everyone (on my cc), for which everyone thanked him (including me). He closed the bar every night and during a 3 night cruise he ran up a bar tab of over $400, and this was about 8 years ago. After we returned, about 8 months went by and no money...not a cent. We were at a party and someone asked about the cruise. He said it wasn't "his cup of tea" but it was a free trip so he couldn't complain that much about it.

• Haha 1

For my parents 50th anniversary they wanted the whole family to take a 3-day cruise. When it came time for final payment, my TA called to tell me there was a problem with one of the cc numbers I gave him. It was my brother. I called and he explained that he was about to file bankruptcy (by the way, he makes more than anyone in the family), and had maxed out all his cards. I gave the TA my cc information and my brother said he would pay me back for him and his daughter when he got his income tax check, and by the way, they needed formal night wear. During the course of the cruise, he bought rounds of drinks for everyone (on my cc), for which everyone thanked him (including me). He closed the bar every night and during a 3 night cruise he ran up a bar tab of over $400, and this was about 8 years ago. After we returned, about 8 months went by and no money...not a cent. We were at a party and someone asked about the cruise. He said it wasn't "his cup of tea" but it was a free trip so he couldn't complain that much about it.

All I can say is "WOW!"

I was on a cruise where we had a fair share of rude people. People butting in line, interrupting you, you name it we had it. So one day this man interrupts me while I am asking the CD a few questions. BTW this was an excellent CD so to avoid a conflict I let him continue. At the end I say to him "Thank you, sir for being so polite and interrupting me."

So I say to the CD I just can't believe he did that and her reply I am so used to rude people it doesn't even phase me anymore. So I head into Port and I notice a Kinkos type place and have some business cards created for next to nothing. They said, "Congratulations for being RUDE you are a true AS*HOLE please go FLUSH yourself" I went to Dinner that night and showed them to my table mates and we decided to hand them out as we observed people being rude. WE RAN OUT. The CD saw it and asked for one she said she was going keep that one. We had a good laugh.

Edited by jhuntermartin
  • Haha 2

KARMA is a real (female dog) and I love that chic

We could be related to the same brother could we

I'm so sorry. If that was me I would not let him forget

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

We got married in Cozumel, on the morning of the wedding my brother went on a deep sea fishing excursion where he caught fish and spent the morning heavy drinking (nothing new there). After the wedding we got back on the ship and went to dinner in the MDR. My brother asked why the fish he had caught earlier was not being served to us. He continued to rant about it and wanted us to have his special fish for our wedding meal (yuck). He would not listen to us when we tried to explain about contamination and not being able to bring in outside food into the kitchen. It was horrible and I wanted to die of embarrassment. To this day I am not sure if he actually brought the fish back on the boat or tried to hand it off at the ship entrance, I can only imagine the thoughts running through the crew's mind that had to deal with that situation...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
All I can say is "WOW!"

I think you and I have the same brother; Gotta love family.....................:confused:

There is a whole thread up now about bird poop on a window. The Pax had paid extra for a 'scenic' ocean view room... and it had a splatter of poop on the glass. Not the whole window, just a splat. She just couldn't enjoy looking out that window while she ate her free room service breakfast.

She complained to her room steward, his supervisor, guest services, and every maintenance person she saw (plus her friends, family and table mates), and even volunteered to clean it herself... There is, after all, a deck right out there! Her picture shows a narrow metal scaffold.

Lots of people agreed with her that once she notified guest services, they should have sent out a crew member to clean her window, and that she should ask for a discount on her cruise fare. Because, after all, she paid EXTRA for the view.

No acknowledgement that exterior cleanings, inspections and maintenance are scheduled on a rotation, that working on that scaffold requires a safety harness and special training, or that cleaning HER window would throw off the schedule of safety checks, repairs, or other maintenance around the ship.

IMHO, there was no safety issue, nothing was damaged or at risk of damage, and there was no negligence, nor could the cruise line have possibly kept the bird from choosing where and when to let loose. Sigh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let me state that not all Americans are rude Aholes.

Let me also state that not all Texans are rude Aholes.

But we have our share that's for sure.

Was his name George?

And on this statement i am taking a shot in the dark in that George Bush made a big deal about hating broccoli.

Michael (The American from Texas)

:) :)

Let me state that not all Americans are rude Aholes. Let me also state that not all Texans are rude Aholes.

But we have our share that's for sure.

Train, as a fellow 'Merican, I concur. However many of ours revel in the knowledge that they are _exceptional examples_, and far outpace many foreign models in their ability to enrage, disgust, revolt, and depress their fellow countrymen as well as furriners.:o And they _like_ it that way.

Like it just fine.:rolleyes:

I was just thinking of some of the weirdest, dumbest, or most funny complaints I have heard while on a cruise ship. It was on Princess in the Caribbean there was this one lady. We were standing in line at the pursers desk and the lady in front of us finally had her turn. She walks up carrying two full pieces of paper that were loaded with complaints. One was they requested a table by the window and didn't get, amongst others I can't remember. The one that stuck with us was that she was complaining that she was having to wait 2 minutes for her toast in the morning at the buffet. The kitchen had placed a staff member at the toaster to help people, and most likely because someone burned them selves using it so someone else toasts your bread. She kept going on and on...to the point we couldn't hold it in and busted out laughing at her. Really complain about toast????? We were barely half way through our cruise and this lady had already accumulated enough complaints to fill up 2 pieces of paper. I guess paradise doesn't make everyone happy.:D

A Russian couple on our Alaska trip complained the ice water at the table was too cold... Ugh.

• Haha 3

Loved reading this thread! Thank you Spyder1 for starting.

So on our 2nd (maybe 3rd) cruise we decided to try the formal dining room for the first time for breakfast (usually ate in buffet). We were seated with 10 others and this one woman started complaining on how this trip was so much inferior than her other trip to Panama (ship, itinernary, food, etc) very much dominating the conversation and not really letting anyone else speak. Then she decided she would share her opinions on other things such as eating scrambled eggs and ketchup. "How low can you be if you eat scrambled eggs with ketchup?" Well I had just ordered my scrambled eggs and bacon and was very much looking forward to my side of ketchup:) My husband looked at me when she said it, leaned over and told me, "you eat your eggs and be ketchup proud" She continued on as how uneducated Southern accents sound...and I remember thinking how offensive as well and there maybe someone at the table from the South. And guess what there sure was! I remember eating my "ketchup eggs" and looking at the couple who were also insulted. They nodded and we totally understood each other. That experience made me pass up eating in the dining room for breakfast for awhile:0

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Loved reading this thread! Thank you Spyder1 for starting.

So on our 2nd (maybe 3rd) cruise we decided to try the formal dining room for the first time for breakfast (usually ate in buffet). We were seated with 10 others and this one woman started complaining on how this trip was so much inferior than her other trip to Panama (ship, itinernary, food, etc) very much dominating the conversation and not really letting anyone else speak. Then she decided she would share her opinions on other things such as eating scrambled eggs and ketchup. "How low can you be if you eat scrambled eggs with ketchup?" Well I had just ordered my scrambled eggs and bacon and was very much looking forward to my side of ketchup:) My husband looked at me when she said it, leaned over and told me, "you eat your eggs and be ketchup proud" She continued on as how uneducated Southern accents sound...and I remember thinking how offensive as well and there maybe someone at the table from the South. And guess what there sure was! I remember eating my "ketchup eggs" and looking at the couple who were also insulted. They nodded and we totally understood each other. That experience made me pass up eating in the dining room for breakfast for awhile:0

Too bad everyone else at the table did not order scrambled eggs, and then slather ketchup on them, all while start praising southern accents!

So sad that some people just cannot seem to pick up on social cues as far as understanding the negative impact their complaining has on others.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, the craziest complaint I ever heard on a cruise ship was from my own mother.

She complained about EVERYTHING! We took them on a cruise for their 25th year wedding anniversary on Carnival in one of their gorgeous suites.

Just a sidebar note? The cruise was AMAZING. There was NOTHING wrong, but she just went on and on and on:

"I can't understand what these people are saying."

(Some of the waitstaff had accents. Nothing you couldn't make out if you spent more time listening and less time whining!)

"It's too hot on this boat!"

(Um, you're in the Caribbean. And sadly, Carnival doesn't have the thermostat to adjust the SUN, Mom!)

"There's nothing to do."

(NOTHING TO DO??? This is from a retiree who only knows what time it is depending on what is on television!)

"Everything is so expensive!"

(Interesting comment...since WE paid for everything! LOL)

"There are too many kids on this boat!"

(She has that wonderful grandmotherly instinct, obviously.)

"This ship moves around too much!"

(Okay, it was a little rough, but hello? You're on a BOAT!)

"You have to walk so far to the buffet!"

(Because, g^d forbid you should do a little walking, right?)

But...my favorite was this one:

"There's nothing on television!"

(Didn't we fly you down from New York to Florida and put you on this ship to get you AWAY from the television???)

Who watches Television on a cruise?

The kicker?

A week later, she writes me a letter telling me she had the BEST TIME EVER! :eek:

Mothers. Can't live with them, can't toss them overboard. ;)

OMG we have the same mother!!! My DH and I took my mother on a cruise (and paid for everything) and although she didn't complain about the television or it being to hot on the boat she did also complain about:

"I'm not walking down the stairs for the safety drill"

(DH told her she better because if the ship went down she was on her own!)

"This food is terrible"

(didn't matter what or where we ate on the ship)

And the kicker complaint was..."Is that $40 for the room guy? All he did was make the bed"

(That's okay mom, we paid that for you too & don't touch that envelope! :eek:)

Like you I got a call a week or two later telling me what a wonderful time she had. It was so bad that after we dropped her off at home my DH turned to me and said "we are NEVER taking her ANYWHERE again!" LOL

OMG we have the same mother!!! My DH and I took my mother on a cruise (and paid for everything) and although she didn't complain about the television or it being to hot on the boat she did also complain about:

"I'm not walking down the stairs for the safety drill"

(DH told her she better because if the ship went down she was on her own!)

"This food is terrible"

(didn't matter what or where we ate on the ship)

And the kicker complaint was..."Is that $40 for the room guy? All he did was make the bed"

(That's okay mom, we paid that for you too & don't touch that envelope! :eek:)

Like you I got a call a week or two later telling me what a wonderful time she had. It was so bad that after we dropped her off at home my DH turned to me and said "we are NEVER taking her ANYWHERE again!" LOL

Everything from "there's too much garlic in the food" to they cook w/margarine and not real butter" and on and on and on....

Love her anyway!

Barbara

Everything from "there's too much garlic in the food" to they cook w/margarine and not real butter" and on and on and on....

Love her anyway!

Barbara

Mine is "it's disgusting that they don't put enough sugar in things. Not everyone is fat!".... Then, of course, is food is horrible now. No one cooks with salt. It completely changes the taste to put it on after .... And it continues. To those that paid for their mom and got the same reponse... yup we might all be related. :eek:

• 2 months later...

I have the mirror image of this. My mother-in-law decided to take her children (5) and spouses on a cruise 3 months ago. We sailed aboard Freedom of the Seas which is a behemoth of a ship (I know, not the largest) but pretty stable.

Anyway, one SIL and her husband complained about anything and everything for the 7 days.

They never ordered soup, salad, or appetizer and said there was not enough food. Of course, I told them to order 2 entrees or 3.

They did not like that guy (cabin steward) coming into their room and did they have to tip him?

BIL said he was very subject to motion of the water and was always queasy (amazing given he lives on a lake and is on his boat all the time).

Food was terrible so they ate in the buffet most nights because as we all know there are separate kitchens and cooks to prepare foods for the buffet (NOT).

BIL just could not eat in the dining room due to the motion of the ship altho he dearly wanted to on lobster night but the SIL would not let him.

He complained that these GD people don't speak English

This went on and on for the entire cruise. Now, most of us here truly enjoy cruising so we find this hard to believe but different people have different tastes, or lack thereof, so it is well within their right to feel that way. However I was incensed that they would complain so bitterly in front of the woman who paid for the trip. Her intent was to get her family together and spend time as a family. Their behavior was like getting an expensive Christmas gift from someone and asking the giver why the hell they would give them this crap.

I am venting but I found this so classless and rude that I will not think of this couple the same way as before. Thankfully my wife and I live 1000 miles from the rest of the family so don't have to spend a lot of time with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The ship creaking thinking it was sinking was one memorable one

Best was a lady complaining she didn't get the outside cabin she booked because she was upgraded to a suite and wanted her original canon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Haha 1

On our cruise earlier this month, we were talking with one of the cruise staff about difficult passengers. He told us that after an event where the sadly not uncommon stupid question "so, do you sleep on the ship?" was asked, a staff member couldn't help himself and said "no, we go off by helicopter each night, and then a helicopter brings us back in the morning between 4 and 5."

Apparently, someone present decided to make the best of this information, and the next morning, she was down at passenger services demanding that her cruise be comped, because "the noise from the helicopter bringing staff back to the ship early in the morning is waking me up!"

You can't fix stupid...

• Haha 3

On our cruise earlier this month, we were talking with one of the cruise staff about difficult passengers. He told us that after an event where the sadly not uncommon stupid question "so, do you sleep on the ship?" was asked, a staff member couldn't help himself and said "no, we go off by helicopter each night, and then a helicopter brings us back in the morning between 4 and 5."

Apparently, someone present decided to make the best of this information, and the next morning, she was down at passenger services demanding that her cruise be comped, because "the noise from the helicopter bringing staff back to the ship early in the morning is waking me up!"

You can't fix stupid...

Wow! What some people won't do to get something free. Like you said "you can't fix stupid".