aft cabin questions

witchkitty42

Hi! I'm planning our first cruise and have been avidly reading so many of these posts that I'm getting confused!:rolleyes: I have read that many experienced cruisers like the aft cabins, but I have also read that there is often a problem with soot covering the aft balconies. Has this been an issue for any of you? Also, opinion has it that the most stable area is lower and center, but do you think its the aft or the bow that gets the most noticable movement? We have no clue if we are prone to seasickness, having never cruised, or for that matter, ever traveled in anything other the our car!:D Thanks for any responses!

Most of the newer, larger ships don't produce soot....shouldn't be a problem!

It's true that the front and back of the ship will have more movement than the center...think of a see-saw....the center near the fulcrum has little motion, while the ends go wildly up and down.

If you don't experience motion sickness on amusement rides or cars...you probably won't have much problem on the ship with normal seas. Even very experienced sailors have been know to get seasick when seas are really rough and rocking!

We were on the INDY ( a larger newer ship ) Jan '09 #9708 RFS Aft..Had soot on our balcony once but it was cleaned up quickly..This shouldn't be a reason not to take an Aft if it is available...The fact that these cabins are so popular should tell you something :rolleyes:....

Also don't worry so much and anticipate any problems with seasickness...You may be just fine...Take something with you just in case..Over the counter products or Ginger pills work well with little side effects ( do not use the patch they can have side effects that can blur vision in some people)..If you forget...the pursers desk will have packets they will give you...Enjoy your cruise !!!!

I did have an issue with soot on our Celebrity Equinox sailing. While reading a book on our aft balcony, soot landed on my beige shorts which I'm having trouble washing out. We also had to wipe our feet down before returning into our room to prevent black footprints in our room.

Snow bunny!

1. I've had an aft cabin and the soot problem was minimal (if at all).

2. I feel more motion at the front of the ship than the rear of the ship. If anything, I feel the aft is much more stable.

3. If you don't get motion sick while riding in cars or on roller coasters, then you should be fine. If you want to bring something along for "just in case", then pack some non-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine (you can get it in your local drugstore over the counter) or some candied ginger or some SeaBands (my seasickness remedy of choice because I do get seasick) which you can also get at your drug store.

4. Try booking midship on Deck 7. It's the middle middle and a good place to start out cruising. Get yourself a balcony because it's wonderful being able to step outside first thing in the morning to watch the sun rise or at night before going to bed to watch other ships go by in the distance all lit up.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful first cruise!

Theresa

Hi! I'm planning our first cruise and have been avidly reading so many of these posts that I'm getting confused!:rolleyes: I have read that many experienced cruisers like the aft cabins, but I have also read that there is often a problem with soot covering the aft balconies. Has this been an issue for any of you? Also, opinion has it that the most stable area is lower and center, but do you think its the aft or the bow that gets the most noticable movement? We have no clue if we are prone to seasickness, having never cruised, or for that matter, ever traveled in anything other the our car!:D Thanks for any responses!

The ships are generally so much bigger now that movement really isn't a big issue unless there is bad weather...but then that's the best part to be honest!

Soot.....we've had aft balconies on a number of occasions and the higher up you are the probability of soot becomes a bit greater but not enough to not book that cabin. I just wiped down the chairs first thing and there was not much at all.

Go w/an open mind and you'll be all set! And most of all enjoy/enjoy/enjoy!

I tend not to like afts that rake further aft (further aft from top decks down), too much soot, debris, whatever from above. However, on some ships the aft is raked forward from the top deck, leaving the balconies covered and protected with nothing below you but blue water, and those I LOVE.:D

I tend not to like afts that rake further aft (further aft from top decks down), too much soot, debris, whatever from above. However, on some ships the aft is raked forward from the top deck, leaving the balconies covered and protected with nothing below you but blue water, and those I LOVE.:D

ahh, like te Princess afts? now they arethe best.

Had several aft cabins and no problems with soot- But I dont leave nothing outside over night- and I wipe every thing down before I sit.

It is simply physics. Low and center moves less than high and on the end.

As to soot, yes, that can be a problem with a rear facing balcony. The following picture is from a rear facing balcony on the Freedom of the Seas ...

IMG_2011.jpg

My wife and I just got back in January from an aft balcony cabin on the Glory (8418). I did not notice any soot problems but there was a lot of salt on the balcony/glass around it. I have pics of it and made sure was just salt. They did clean all balcony's at our first stop.

As far as the motion, we had same balcony twice on same ship. The first time it was no problem whatsoever. The second time (our last trip) was absolutely horrible. It had a lot of motion side to side not up and down. It doesn't help that we had 50 mph winds hitting the side of the ship. However, aft is the only place I will sail!

LOVED the aft cabin on Ruby Princess, much better than mid-ship.. Better view and more privacy, especially if you can get a corner...

Kelly, glad to hear this one. Hubby and I have been having some ongoing "discussions" as to whether or not we'll give up the corner C753 and move mid deck to something like C439. He really likes the "little bit of his own world" back there but I was being more practical of the mid ship because of how big the ship is. If you took that aft, was it an endless walk every time? I'm a little concerned because I've been having some back problems lately, but I'm expecting that they will be all cleared by the time we go on her, but as you know, in this world "expecting" can be the key word.

Kelly, glad to hear this one. Hubby and I have been having some ongoing "discussions" as to whether or not we'll give up the corner C753 and move mid deck to something like C439. He really likes the "little bit of his own world" back there but I was being more practical of the mid ship because of how big the ship is. If you took that aft, was it an endless walk every time? I'm a little concerned because I've been having some back problems lately, but I'm expecting that they will be all cleared by the time we go on her, but as you know, in this world "expecting" can be the key word.

I am an aft snob and the C753 is thee best aft balcony we ever had on the Caribbean Princess. Loved it so that we booked it for the Ruby for February 2011. The walk is not the long- when comparing the walk on the carnival ships. Its has its own private hall that you share with no one. On the corner of the hall- across from your room (is the linen closest.) To the right of your door is the muster drill steps- out that door- down to club fusion and find a seat.

Does anyone have pics of the balcony cabins on the Liberty that are aft on deck 9? Is the room larger as well as the balcony? We are booked in an aft right next to the corner aft pictured in the above thread.Thanks :)

I am guessing Royals Libertyof the seas. Carnival Liberty does not have a deck 9 with cabins?

I am guessing Royals Libertyof the seas. Carnival Liberty does not have a deck 9 with cabins?

Yes sorry.... Iam inquiring about RCCL's Liberty of the Seas or any Freedoom Class ship with an aft cabin on Deck 10 ( not Dec 9). Maybe it is too early in the day for me, I should have been more clear. ;)

Yes sorry.... Iam inquiring about RCCL's Liberty of the Seas or any Freedoom Class ship with an aft cabin on Deck 10 ( not Dec 9). Maybe it is too early in the day for me, I should have been more clear. ;)

The cabin will be the same size- its the balcony that is huge.

Have you had an aft on this class of ship before?

Are you aware of the steel structure?

Does anyone have pics of the balcony cabins on the Liberty that are aft on deck 9? Is the room larger as well as the balcony? We are booked in an aft right next to the corner aft pictured in the above thread.Thanks :)

Which Liberty? Liberty of the Seas or Carnival Liberty?

If the Liberty of the Seas, it is just like the Freedom of the Seas pictured below ...

Freedomrear-full.jpg

Freedomrear.jpg

Thanks again. More questions, if you have the time. Do you have any pics of the cabin? Read on prior post they are no different in size than others. The steel structure would be fine with us, but how about the motion? :confused:

We have heard and read about the aft cabins being the best, what is your opinion? Any information is helpful and most appreciated. :)

Thanks again. More questions, if you have the time. Do you have any pics of the cabin? Read on prior post they are no different in size than others. The steel structure would be fine with us, but how about the motion? :confused:

We have heard and read about the aft cabins being the best, what is your opinion? Any information is helpful and most appreciated. :)

I don't have a picture of the aft facing cabins on a Freedom class ship because I was in the Royal Family Suite. That said, I believe the aft cabins are the same size as the mid ship cabins.

Some people, including myself, like the rear facing cabins. However, some don't. Soot can be a problem. The structure blocks the view on Voyager and Freedom class ships. The rear will move more than mid ship cabins do. There is less wind (so it can get warm) and there is less privacy.

However, the views are great (when except on the Voyager and Freedom class ships), the cabins are quiet (no one walks that far back unless they have a cabin in the back) and the balconies get more sun (if you like more sun this is plus).

Archived