Grenada and Barbados shore ideas

Cordelia

In Grenada I take the water taxi to the beach. Then back in time for lunch aboard ship.

After lunch I walk along the waterfront to the supermarket on the other side of the bay. I buy my spices there, keep them sealed, and have never had a problem bringing them into the US

In Grenada I take the water taxi to the beach. Then back in time for lunch aboard ship.

After lunch I walk along the waterfront to the supermarket on the other side of the bay. I buy my spices there, keep them sealed, and have never had a problem bringing them into the US

Has anyone ever used Mandoos tour, taking the northern route-Rum factory,spice plantation-The Estuary?

When we were in Grenada, we took the morning and walked up to the fort right in the city, it offered great views as well as seeing a historical fort. Then we took the water taxi to a very secluded beach, well past grand anse. There were only us and another family that went. It was beautiful, not crowded, great snorkeling and no one trying to sell you junk. The water taxi came back and picked us up at the time we asked.

In case you don't know where the thread is for the ports here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

You just select each port you are interested in and there are a lot of ideas here.

In Grenada went to an all inclusive resort, the Rex Grenadian. The cost was $50 pp and included all you can eat and drink. It has a nice pool and beach area. Very nice. I arranged everything by email with the hotel and they sent a taxi to pick us up. (extra charge) When we got back, we walked around in front of the piere and there are a lot of vendors set up selling spices. You can haggle the prices. Make sure they look fresh and are sealed up and you won't have any problem bringing them back. Don't buy the cinammon in a bottle. We bought one and it was so old it didn't smell or taste like cinammon at all.

Barbados, there are so many things to do but the best beaches according to the local expert Aplmac is Crane, rated one of the sexiest beaches in the world and Accra/Rockley. Crane is farther away from port so the taxi will be a little bit higher. You can get a day pass here for $15, which just allows you to use their facilities. You then can use the $15 for credit at the restaurant and bar for food. Pretty good deal. Otherwise you have to walk down some rocks to get to the free beach next to the hotel. Accra is a wonderful beach and much closer to the port. I'll post a couple of pictures for you here. You can rent two lounge chairs and an umbrella here for $15. There's plenty of food and drinks available on the beach and accross the street. You should have no problem getting a taxi to and from the beach.

If you wanted to do the snorkel excursion, I highly recommend Silver Moon too. One of the best excursions ever. They take you out to swim/snorkel with the big turtles and all the food and alcohol is provided.

barbados5-1.jpg

accra-1.jpg

Barbados

Silvermoon or any beach. i have used Cool Runnings but they no longer work with ships guests. also you are back in time to go to the rum factory or do any shopping. There is the baotyard- have not been. many like it.

Grenada

have not done mandoo's tours. I heard Magazine Beach is nice. might check it out myself next year.

When we were in Grenada, we took the morning and walked up to the fort right in the city, it offered great views as well as seeing a historical fort. Then we took the water taxi to a very secluded beach, well past grand anse. There were only us and another family that went. It was beautiful, not crowded, great snorkeling and no one trying to sell you junk. The water taxi came back and picked us up at the time we asked.

Very interesting. When we were there last, I recall that beach but our water taxi driver dissuaded us from going there. Do you remember the name of the beach? The water taxi driver suggested that we might have difficulty returning; hence, the wife became a wee bit nervous and we remained at Grand Anse, which was not bad but a little bit crowded.

Take a cab to the Boatyard. Great beach with good service, food and drinks! Fun day.

Right next to the boatyard is Lobster Alive which is the same sort of deal, but no cover and less crowded. For every beach chair/umbrella rented for $ 5.00 US you get a free drink worth $ 4.00! :D

http://www.zagat.com/Verticals/PropertyDetails.aspx?VID=8&R=105226

Cab fare for five of us was about $ 10-12 dollars plus tip each way total.

In Grenada take a taxi to Concord falls (have a nice swim in the falls!), and get a brief Island tour as you return to the beach at Grand Anse. (We made a stop at the new Marina to check it out...) Make sure the cab is nice as we rejected the first one we were given. Cost for the cab for four hours was # 120.00 plus tip for all five of us. The beach is not nearly as nice as Lobster Alive and in Grenada they'll nickel and dime you to death at the 'public" beaches. There's are no free drink with chair rentals, and showers, change rooms and toilets all charge a per use $$$.

Still it's all a fraction of the cost of a ship tour! :D

In Barbados, we are also doing the Silvermoon. I've heard such good things about it that I just have to try it out.

As for Grenada, we are doing a day pass at La Source resort. It is $100/pp, includes breakfast, lunch, unlimited drinks, and watersports/facility use. Admittedly it is a bit more $$ than the Rex Grenadian, but the property looks so beautiful. :)

Archived