Tipping for room service how much?

yojohn

Anywhere from $2.00 to $5.00 - depending on what is being delivered. Just coffee or drinks - we usually tip $2.00. For a full service (breakfast, lunch or dinner) we tip $5.00. DH & I bring about $200.00 in ones and fives on board for just such instances. Others may tip differently, but this is what we do. These great folks that take such good care of you with their deliveries are generally kitchen staff and really appreciate the tip ;).

Have a great cruise! :)

On the Oosterdam, I even saw people tipping for drinks in the bars, even though you pay the extra 15% per drink. I don't know if they thought they would get better service the next time or what. Just remember that HAL is charging you $11 pp/day for gratuities which the person who delivered your meal gets a part of (albeit a small part). But if you feel like tipping, $5 for a meal delivered would be appropriate.

New to this board how much to you tip for room service?:D

For us it depends on how much the server is carrying. If all we're getting is coffee and croissants, or a club sandwich or something light like that, then we tip just $1. We tip more, up to $5, if we have ordered more than that since then the tray is heavier or there's more than one tray.

gemjunky..don't usually get ticked by a post...but...yes I do know that there is a 15% gratuity added..and I also know we pay $11 per day per person for tips...and yes I do tip extra while at the bar...because I want to...

The bar waiters work hard as do all the folks on a cruise ship..and sometimes they have to put up with people who are mean and crabby...just watch for a while sometime. If a $1.00 or so tip over and above will put a smile on his/her face..then I'm happy...and hey it's a cruise..enjoy and spread the love around a little:):):)

gemjunky..don't usually get ticked by a post...but...yes I do know that there is a 15% gratuity added..and I also know we pay $11 per day per person for tips...and yes I do tip extra while at the bar...because I want to...

The bar waiters work hard as do all the folks on a cruise ship..and sometimes they have to put up with people who are mean and crabby...just watch for a while sometime. If a $1.00 or so tip over and above will put a smile on his/her face..then I'm happy...and hey it's a cruise..enjoy and spread the love around a little:):):)

:):)

Your post was very civil, but as they say, cool it. Tipping is a personal matter. If I order a drink at a bar in the U.S. I believe 15% tip is plenty, although I never make it less than $1. We have been on only one previous HAL cruise, but we are booked for another in May. On our previous HAL cruise, I experienced several occasions of extremely poor service from administrative employees. I learned that 40% of the standard tip went to "other personnel" such as administrative employees. I then reduced the standard tip, requiring paper-work, and added cash to our cabin and dinner servers.

I refuse to be dictated to by a cruise line as to the magnitude of the tips.

Bob :cool:

I bring a stack of $2 bills.

Although $2.00 bills are legal tender in the US, they are not widely circulated. As a result, when trying to use them outside the US, they are not readily accepted. The steward who has been given a $2.00 bill instead of 2 $1.00 bills, can have trouble using it.

Better to give the more well-known, and accepted, $1.00, $5.00, etc.

since most of the world usues them instead of bills. $2 for bfst and $1 for ice if not provided by cabin steward.

Just as many places in US don't like those $ coins, that is also true of international places as well. However we've found some cabin stewards and some shopkeepers who like them to add to their coin collections.

We usually ask if the person would prefer the coin or the 1$ bill and most prefer the currency since it's more practical.

Just as many places in US don't like those $ coins, that is also true of international places as well. However we've found some cabin stewards and some shopkeepers who like them to add to their coin collections.

We usually ask if the person would prefer the coin or the 1$ bill and most prefer the currency since it's more practical.

We not only have a dollar coin, known as a loony but also a $2.00 coin known as a toony. They are heavy, bulky and look cheap for tips. Yes, I know the people in the US do not like the larger denomination coins and I certainly don't blame them. Can ruin your pockets and quickly fill a change purse.

Most countries now have the 1 and 2 dollar/euro/pound coins and in Australia, the $1 coins are a good size but the $2 one is tiny, thick but the size of our dime (US & Canada dime). In contrast, their 50 cent piece is the size of a saucer.

Keep using and hoarding the dollar bills and refuse the dollar coins. We should have done that.

We not only have a dollar coin, known as a loony but also a $2.00 coin known as a toony. They are heavy, bulky and look cheap for tips. Yes, I know the people in the US do not like the larger denomination coins and I certainly don't blame them. Can ruin your pockets and quickly fill a change purse.

Most countries now have the 1 and 2 dollar/euro/pound coins and in Australia, the $1 coins are a good size but the $2 one is tiny, thick but the size of our dime (US & Canada dime). In contrast, their 50 cent piece is the size of a saucer.

Keep using and hoarding the dollar bills and refuse the dollar coins. We should have done that.

I agree...loonies and toonies suck.

...On our previous HAL cruise, I experienced several occasions of extremely poor service from administrative employees. I learned that 40% of the standard tip went to "other personnel" such as administrative employees. I then reduced the standard tip, requiring paper-work, and added cash to our cabin and dinner servers.

Bob :cool:

Possibly you were told that a percentage goes to behind the scenes workers. This doesn't mean "administrative". It means crew such as kitchen, laundry, those behind the counter at the lido.

We tipped $5-$10 for room service meals and had exceptional service. We were a party of 4 so getting all of the kid's meals correct was a feat. Our waiter would return 30 minutes after delivering dinner with dessert (usually involved some kind of ice cream for the kiddos) without us asking for him to do so. Also, our table was set with a tablecloth every time. We didn't order room service all that frequently, but when we did, it was outstanding and well worth the few extra $ of tip.

Archived