Do you think the waiters are better at assigned seating?

schultz

Do you think there a difference between the waiters at the assigned seating versus the anytime dining? Are they more experienced, more personable? What is your opinion?

Nope...

The REAL difference is that at traditional dining your wait team gets to know you... knows what you want to drink... know what you enjoy as an appetizer and know you by name.

That HAS to be better service than having a different waiter every evening...

:)

I'm going on a 4 nighter in a few weeks. I have open seating. I am hoping to get a good waiter on night one,,,then I'll just request the same person for the rest of the time. If I get a grouch/klutz, I will not sit with him the him/her the next night. My take,,at least I can eat when I want and if I have a lousy waiter, make sure I don't have them the next night without having to beg anyone.

Having done both traditional and anytime dining, I can honestly say anytime dining was actually better service-wise for us! We got the same wait staff most nights, and they even asked if we wanted the same if they were available. The one night we got different staff was still excellent. So not only was the service wonderful, the flexibility of dining when we wanted, when everyone was ready, and when we were actually hungry was a definite winner for us. And for those who like the entertainment, they do that, too. We are anytime diners from here on out!

I agree with everything Klmorg said. I talked with my Your Time Dining waiter on the Miracle and he said it is much more difficult to work the Your Time Section because everything comes out at different times, so I would think the more experienced waiters would work that section.

I love the flexibility of Your Time. I appreciate the whole getting to know your waiter experience, but I prefer to have my cruise on my schedule.

We just got back from our first cruise (Fantasy) and used the any time dining, so no experience with assigned dining times. But I have to say that we loved the freedom of having dinner whenever we chose. And we NEVER had to wait to be seated. All the servers were excellent, friendly, and our food and drinks were served very promptly. With such a great experience, I'm not sure I would chose an assigned seating time on future cruises and have to "watch the clock" to make sure we got to the dining room on time. Just my opinion....

Our waiter told us that they rotate duties from week to week. He said that after our cruise, ( early seating ) he would be serving the anytime people the next week. He said he prefers scheduled diners as he gets to know their likes and dislikes. :rolleyes:

Having done both traditional and anytime dining, I can honestly say anytime dining was actually better service-wise for us! We got the same wait staff most nights, and they even asked if we wanted the same if they were available. The one night we got different staff was still excellent. So not only was the service wonderful, the flexibility of dining when we wanted, when everyone was ready, and when we were actually hungry was a definite winner for us. And for those who like the entertainment, they do that, too. We are anytime diners from here on out!

We agree, we love it to. I think the teams have been better in atd. We almost always get the same team. They remember our names and if we can't get our regular team we have had our regular waiter tell our new waiter our names and what we like, and to take good care of us.

Lynda

I agree with Mach in that the waiters get to know you and what you preferences are when you have the same waiters each night. We have been spoiled by having 5 cruises of assigned dining with outstanding service. When you tried anytime dining on our last cruise and knew it wasn't for us. We really enjoy the assigned time dining experience. The real question isn't if the waiters are better or more experienced it's what your expectations are for your dining experience. If you have never tried it I'd give it a try and decide for yourself :)

Do you think there a difference between the waiters at the assigned seating versus the anytime dining? Are they more experienced, more personable? What is your opinion?

I think that the most experienced waiters are assigned to anytime dining. They have a much more difficult job, and IMO take MUCH better care of their tables. It is not a big deal to serve the same 32 people over the course of 4 hours than what the anytime people have to do.

Just tried anytime dining on the Ecstasy and loved it. Our waiters were very attentive and friendly. I'm not big on personal preferences other than I drink ice tea every night with dinner. On one cruise, I think it was the Miracle, with traditional dining the waiter asked me every night if I wanted ice tea. In 8 days he never did remember that I liked ice tea with dinner. So I think it all depends on the waiter. I'll continue with anytime as long as I can get it. Like the variety.

I can't answer the question. But I would deduce that the more experienced [better?] waiters can choose which area they want to work and they would likely choose the area where the tips are better. Whichever that is.

Ooooo, I'd never thought about it, but you're probably right on that one. :)

I was so convinced to try the anytime dining in April...but when I told dh that we would not have the same waiter throughout..he said...no. He likes having the same waiter since he likes when he comes in on the 2nd night that the waiter already has those shrimp cocktails waiting for him :)

No, I don't. We've had really great waiters whenever we eat. And no they aren't the same ones. However, we have found we like a particular area of the dining room over others.

Archived