What is the youngest you would let your child be in a separate room?

A&Jfamily

What's the youngest you'd allow your child to stay in another room with a sibling?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What's the youngest you'd allow your child to stay in another room with a sibling?

• Under 6
    • 6-7
    • 8-9
    • 10-11
    • 12-13
    • 14-15
    • 16-17

I am just curious what the responses are to this.

I have made up my mind that when we cruise in December, my DSs will be almost 13 and 7; I booked them an inside cabin across the hall from our balcony. This will be their 6th cruise and I am confident that they will be safe and obey the rules.

Are you asking for the minimum age for the younger sibling or the older sibling? My kids will be 9 and 13 on our next cruise, and I would be willing to put them in a separate room (although we actually have connecting inside promenade rooms on the MOTS). So I'm not sure whether to "vote" for 8-9 or 13. I wouldn't put my 9 year old in her own room with a (hypothetical) 10 year old sibling. It's the presence of my 13 year old, who is pretty responsible, that would give me the confidence to do this.

I agree its a bit hard to know how to vote. I would and did allow my 10 yr old to stay in cabin across hall, but,, she was in room with two siblings, 14 and 16.

Would I allow a 7 yr and a 10 yr old to stay across hall, ,, probably not,, unless cabin was actually connecting. Then I could even see younger, as long as door between cabins stays open.

If it's a connecting room, I'd do it for an infant! Connecting cabins are most likely closer to you than your child's bedroom is at home.

If I had to access the room from the hallway, I'd wait until the child was about 9-10...depending on how "compliant" my child was with my instructions. I've found that younger kids listen and comply better than teens....it's the 14-18 year olds that you REALLY have to watch!

Sorry if the poll is confusing - I couldn't think of a way to phrase the question that would fit in the space allowed.

Yes, I was asking at what age would you let your youngest child stay in a room with an older sibling - but there was no way to put ages for both.

It is very interesting for me to see the wide rage of responses, and obvioulsy, it would vary greatly, depending on age. If I had a 17.5 yo, and a 1 yo, I would be fine with them in the same room across the hall. However a 6 and 8, no.

Thanks everyone - for keeping me entertained!

The first time we took the kids on a cruise they were 6, 7.5 and 10. We had put the two girls and myself in one cabin and the boys ( DH and DS) shared the cabin next to us. One night they were all hanging out together and fell asleep in the one room. We didn't want to wake them and they did fine. This remained the sleeping arrangements for the rest of the cruise. It did help that their aunt and uncle were on other side also.

We are cruising again and this is going to be the same sleeping arrangements but they are now 10, 12 and 15.

Are you asking for the minimum age for the younger sibling or the older sibling? My kids will be 9 and 13 on our next cruise, and I would be willing to put them in a separate room (although we actually have connecting inside promenade rooms on the MOTS). So I'm not sure whether to "vote" for 8-9 or 13. I wouldn't put my 9 year old in her own room with a (hypothetical) 10 year old sibling. It's the presence of my 13 year old, who is pretty responsible, that would give me the confidence to do this.

I totally agree with you. We also have a 9 year old and a 13 year old and whilst they are sharing a room with us I would be happy for the 9 year old to share with her 13 year old (very responsible) sister.

We own a hotel, so we get to deal with this question a lot. It all depends, I have seen inmature 16 year olds and responsable 9 year olds. It depends on the children: do they generally obey the parents rules? Have they been here before (or in case of the poll on a cruise)? Do they open the door to strangers? Will they be likely to empty the minibar?

We own a hotel, so we get to deal with this question a lot. It all depends, I have seen inmature 16 year olds and responsable 9 year olds. It depends on the children: do they generally obey the parents rules? Have they been here before (or in case of the poll on a cruise)? Do they open the door to strangers? Will they be likely to empty the minibar?

This is the best response. No two kids are the same and age is not the only deciding factor. My DD I trust a heck of a lot more than DS. Fortunately for me she is older so can keep track of her brother a bit. The first time they had a cabin on their own they were 12 & 16.

The most important thing is to let them know what is right and what will not be tolerated. If they are reliable kids you should be fine.

I always preferred my daughter in the same room with me so that I know what she is up to. Girls are sneaky when they get to be about 14 and are around peer pressure.

My answer will be about the same as yours. It's not necessarily how much I would trust my child, but how much I would trust others.

If you do feel your children are responsible enough, make doubly sure you mark your bookings "no upgrade," and emphasize that to your TA. I have seen a couple of threads the last few years on CC when someone's had their kids booked in the next cabin, and one of the bookings moved to another part of the ship.

I have seen a couple of threads the last few years on CC when someone's had their kids booked in the next cabin' date=' and one of the bookings moved to another part of the ship.[/quote']

Well, that was rather dumb of whoever did that. :mad:

Archived